WOW! Look at all of these new members!!! (suggestion)

AirborneDave

Forum Supporter
Let me start out with the fact that I'm a newer member myself, and feel a bit hesitant to make a site suggestion so early.

After reading DIGGER27's thread about all of the new members joining in just one day http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=102976 I got to thinking: would it be possible/feasible to have an "introductions" section added to the forum? With so many members joining this quickly, I'm finding it hard make proper introductions to the new people and also to continue following the other threads posted in the "General Discussion" section.

What do you seasoned forum members think?

For what it's worth... there aren't too many actual topics that belong in General Hobby. 90% of what is posted there outside of introductions, can be moved to more suitable places on the forum. I spend quite a bit of time each night I sign on moving posts out of General Hobby that belong is say, MD Accessories, or How to Use Your Detector. Lately, a few folks have been posting their stories and pics of their finds in General Hobby when there is a section even called, Stories and Pictures of Your Finds :roll:

You'll notice underneath General Hobby it says, "If you are new to the hobby or the forum introduce yourself here." So outside of introductions, and threads that might actually be so General in nature as to not be moved... there's isn't much to follow there, maybe that's just me :waytogo:

I feel a bit rediculous now. I didn't notice the fact that it was nearly everything BUT introductions that were in the wrong place (looks like I need to read the fine print more often) :facepalm:

Thanks for clarifying!

I didn't read them all (over three pages), but a few I clicked, were month or more old. I just happened to notice, that the same member had gone through a said 'hello' to dozens of newer members. Maybe give these threads a month? I'm still new to detecting, after about a year now, but have a little experience now. It is a little confusing to see 30 or more new member posts, then realize some are a couple of months old, maybe someone is just getting caught up, or need to reach 100 posts, to sell things. When I get a new neighbor, I try to speak to them within the first week, not two months later, just to let them know my dog is basically harmless, I'm reasonable and rational, and they can talk to me, if they have a problem or a question. Think most people expect you have some sort of problem, if you approach them later on. There is should be some appropriate length of time, between just joining the site, and being settled in.

I feel a bit rediculous now. I didn't notice the fact that it was nearly everything BUT introductions that were in the wrong place (looks like I need to read the fine print more often) :facepalm:

Thanks for clarifying!

Don't feel bad we try and move stuff that doesn't belong in General all the time... as General is for new members to say hello...

People think that posting their finds in Gen will give them the most views instead of using the proper venue... but we move them when we have time ;)

Last thing... there were not 3 pages of new members who signed up yesterday... 1 member was trying to beef up his post count so he could use the classfieds...

:laughing:

"Last thing... there were not 3 pages of new members who signed up yesterday... 1 member was trying to beef up his post count so he could use the classfieds..."

Back
Top Bottom