• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Lake shore hunting. Anyone with experience?

Sidesjeremy

So I'm gonna go to this spot and see what happens. The only thing I'm hoping that it's not a complete bust. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 719
This beach is supposed to be there, and playground equipment nearby too.

Attachments

• Red Top Mountain Beach-full.jpg
    Red Top Mountain Beach-full.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 729
  • beach.jpg
    beach.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 565
Looks Like a Place to go for the gold and silver and who knows what good Luck and have a great time Oh and Post all those finds

That beach is actually located in red top mountain state park. Isn't it illegal to hunt in state parks? I don't wanna get busted

That beach is actually located in red top mountain state park. Isn't it illegal to hunt in state parks? I don't wanna get busted

I don't know but I would find out first. The way this worlds going I woudnt chance it till I found out for sure and have something in writing if you get the go ahead.

Check for state park rules on the internet. Every state is different. Some allow it in som eparks while not in others, and some leave it to a park rangers discretion.

http://gastateparks.org/Rules

Collecting: All wildlife, plant life, driftwood, artifacts and any other natural or man-made features are protected and may not be disturbed or removed. Please leave wildflowers for other visitors to enjoy. Possession of metal detecting equipment is prohibited.

Looks like you are right. Thats too bad. In Kansas we are allowed to detect in State Parks , just not to dig up the place.

Okay. So what about the lake itself? The whole lake isn't in red top state park but the us corp of engineers apparently have rules on metal detecting. How is it possible to regulate every inch of a lake that's HUGE!!! How would they know if I'm in the woods at a creek runoff hunting around?

Okay. So what about the lake itself? The whole lake isn't in red top state park but the us corp of engineers apparently have rules on metal detecting. How is it possible to regulate every inch of a lake that's HUGE!!! How would they know if I'm in the woods at a creek runoff hunting around?

Because every bit that is state park will be marked as such. We have lakes like that here in Oklahoma. They are COE lakes, but there are parks, beaches and campgrounds which are state park.

Best bet is to ask COE if you can metal detect on any part of their area at the lake.

Here in Texas, some COE land is okay to metal detect and other land is not.

Some the the state parks around Ohio I've looked into it is illegal to detect the forested or grassy areas of the park (sometimes allowed but with a permit only and during certain times of the year) but the beach areas and water a fair game. Rules vary from place to place. Always do your research.

All good tips from the previous posters. I found a website called metaldetectmystate.com to be a good source for information. Missouri has adopted some pretty strict rules about detecting. Only certain areas in certain state parks are allowed. Generally the swimming beaches, your digging tool can't be wider than 3 inches or longer than 12 inches (guess that means I can't use my hands). You have to have a permit from Department of Natural Resources, yada, yada, yada. So, I did all that and went to one of the beaches on Stockton Lake only to find it was closed due to the government shutdown. :mad::waaa: :gottaluv:

I hunt Dale Hollow Lake that straddles Kentucky and Tennessee. Talked to the Corps of Engineers before I began and was informed that the State Park portion is off limits as is all land on the lake that has not been "previously disturbed". They allow hunting along the immediate shoreline at the waterline and in the water and also at the beaches in the sand. It's always best to talk to the authorities before you go to find out exactly what is and is not allowed. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom