metal in my hip

Tryggve76

Thanks for all the friendly greetings.

I have a steel/metal attachment to my left hip at the proximal femur
hip-joint area. The scar is 36 stitches to give an idea of length (about 8.5 inches or 22cm long) with metal nails going into the femur bone (longest bone of the leg) and one big screw going into the neck of the femoral-hip-joint. This was because of surgery after a nasty motorcycle accident.

4 small screws into femur bone & 1 large screw into neck of femur.

I am not exactly sure of the type of metal.

I have been watching metal detecting videos, and they say you must remove
watches and jewelry.

Will my hip-attachment affect the signals on the detector?

And how do I get notifications to my email when a post has received a reply?

Thanks.
Tryggve76
from Finland..

Thanks for all the friendly greetings.

I have a steel/metal attachment to my left hip at the proximal femur
hip-joint area. The scar is 36 stitches to give an idea of length (about 8.5 inches or 22cm long) with metal nails going into the femur bone (longest bone of the leg) and one big screw going into the neck of the femoral-hip-joint. This was because of surgery after a nasty motorcycle accident.

4 small screws into femur bone & 1 large screw into neck of femur.

I am not exactly sure of the type of metal.

I have been watching metal detecting videos, and they say you must remove
watches and jewelry.

Will my hip-attachment affect the signals on the detector?

And how do I get notifications to my email when a post has received a reply?

Thanks.
Tryggve76
from Finland..
Not likely. If it does swing with the other arm. I would think the hardest part will be digging and recovery

Shouldnt be a problem....In fact it will be some great therapy to get out doors detecting! Theres a guy in Chicago who hunts out of a wheelchair..Where theres a Will theres a Way....Welcome to the Forum and report back with your finds!

My wife has a titanium wrist, she uses it to test the pinpointer, she can't wave a handful of dirt over the coil right handed, but can use a pinpointer right handed and a detector with no problems. I wear a watch and wedding ring without any problems. Most of the Equinox users wear a bunch of gold chains. Us ATPRo swingers end up carrying a few pounds of aluminum cans and can still detect. You'll be fine.

My wife has a titanium wrist, she uses it to test the pinpointer, she can't wave a handful of dirt over the coil right handed, but can use a pinpointer right handed and a detector with no problems. I wear a watch and wedding ring without any problems. Most of the Equinox users wear a bunch of gold chains. Us ATPRo swingers end up carrying a few pounds of aluminum cans and can still detect. You'll be fine.

Now that is funny.

Tryggve76,
Will not be a problem.
I have a knee replacement and it does not affect my detector, unless I put the coil close to it. So the metal in your hip should not be a problem.

I also have lighters, knifes etc.. in my front pockets and this doesn't bother the detector in any way.

I dont even know why they would say something like that - you arent detecting your arm/hip/knee - you are detecting at your feet!!!
Now be careful of steel toed shoes and the eyelets of your shoes - they will set your detector off - dont ask how I know about that :roll:

I believe that all metal used in surgeries is titanium. I know that all of the metal in me is, and they do not set off detectors. I even tried with my pinpointer!

Well, back in the pre-pinpointer days, you'd get a handfull of dirt from the hole you just dug and wave it over the coil to see if the target was in that handful. If not, grab another handful, etc. So you couldn't wear rings or or a watch on the hand you waved over the coil. That's about the only reason I can see why there would be warnings about not wearing jewelry when metal detecting.

I have a titanium hip and haven't found any problems with detecting. My garrett carrot finds it nicely as a tester prior to my hunts. As a matter of fact, when I first got my carrot, my hip was my first "find" with it.. :laughing:

You'd be fine I'd think. I wear a watch on my left hand and I have no problems. Sometimes I get my pinpointer too close to it, but that's about it. Good luck out there! :)

I wear a watch and wedding ring while detecting. On the beach i carry my scoop on my hip and unless i have sensitivity turned quite high i do not have any problem. Sensitivity turned to where the machine becomes chatty i sometimes get a hit on the scoop but even then it is an intermittent chirp

You do not have enough metal in your hip to cause a problem unless your legs are only 18 inches long.

My very old knee replacements kept setting off my pinpointer ! I'm too embarrassed to say how long it took to put two and two together !:laughing:

Nothing to worry about, i always have my cell phone in my hip pocket and finds in side cargo pockets with no problems with interference.

thanks for the replies.. I do not receive notifications about replies to my posts so sorry for not commenting.. Its probably a setting issue.............

I have virtually the same on same hip except I also have a plate around the socket (automobile accident). Funny thing is it doesen't set off the detectors at the courthouses but my detectors can find it. It does not affect my detectors when swinging them I've found. Thinking the coils are just too far away from it.

thanks for the replies.. I do not receive notifications about replies to my posts so sorry for not commenting.. Its probably a setting issue.............

I wasn't aware that there is a feature of the forum program that allowed people to receive email notifications if there post was replied to. Carol ? Vlad ? Moderators? Your input on this would be useful... thanks.

Back
Top Bottom