Ever wonder what’s in a squirrel nest?

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
Baby squirrels.lol..Was taking down a huge white pine tree today,,went up to the top,about 60 feet up and shook the nest..heard some squeaks,pulled back the leaves and these guys were in there.
The momma was a mess,cackling and running all over the tree.Had to come down tho,and somwhere in the middle of it all she split and had nowhere to put the nest.A few coworkers took them home,bought eyedroppers and baby formula,,, that’s what the internet said to get.So we will see if they make it.

Attachments

• 87F980B3-B9E7-4193-B6BD-F5124534CFDE.jpg
    87F980B3-B9E7-4193-B6BD-F5124534CFDE.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 396
Well its a sad situation, but good thing theres no shortage of them lol my uncle did the same and he had them eating peanuts off his shoulder :laughing: good luck out there!

I had some friends that raised a flying squirrel and it was great till it hit puberty then all h3## broke loose. Sounds kinda like raising children :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I found some laying in the grass after a hurricane knocked their nest out of a tree a couple years ago. Of three, one was dying. We raised the other two in a big cage made from hardware cloth. They were hilarious. When they were old enough, we released them at the base of the tree their nest was in. We opened the top of the cage, and they were wary of leaving. They would run out, then back in really fast. Each time they would go a little further. Eventually they went all the way up into the tree. They hung around for a couple weeks, but after that, they moved on.

A neighbor at the time said he had some pet squirrels as a boy. He said the males could be nippy during mating season, but the females didn't ever bite him.

Squiggy Kabobs. I prefer mine with a mix of peppers in between and bathed in teriyaki.

I remember seeing a program on T.V.
where a mother house cat that was nursing new born kittens,
adopted a young baby squirrel.

sometimes, the adult squirrel will come back for the little ones & relocate
to a new nest or hole in another tree.

best to just let nature run it's course.... my opinion, dang cute though!

Be careful. I know some states prohibit raising wildlife. You are “supposed” to take them to a wildlife rehabilitator.

I was detecting in a local park when I noticed a small squirrel nearby. I assumed that it was looking for nuts. I took my eyes off of it for a moment and the next thing that I knew it was crawling up my leg. I don't know why but all I could think of was that it might be sick. I removed it and decided to hunt elsewhere. I have fed them before but that is the first time any have become that friendly.

My Grandpa had a large deck with a couple wooden bird feeders on the railing. The squirrels would eat out of the feeders, which was no problem. The chipmunks on the other hand would chew the hell out of the feeders while they had their free meal. Max didn't take kindly to this rudeness...:laughing:

We got our first rifle at about 7 or 8 years of age and after we figured out how to not shoot the house, it was open season on the 'munks!

No shooting the squirrels at the house though. They were "pets". The ones in the other 124.5 acres were open for sandwiches and making gravy however...:eat:

Apparently the yard squirrels were smart enough to not tell the rest of the vittles in the woods or else we woulda all been over-run!

I'd have the little fellas all tucked in the spare room feeding them too. ;)

If I could introduce them to my wife's cat, they wouldn't have to worry about their future. This little bugger puts the big African cats to shame with his hunting skills !

Back
Top Bottom