On a roll?

Usa

Elite Member
Hey all,just curious how have y'all done in roll hunting(since you started). And what should I expect to find.?

There is a sub-thread dedicated to CRHing. It's hiding under the "What's the value" thread. I am saving my zincolns to buy a roll of something to get me started.

I started CRHing last summer, so it has been almost a year for me. :grin:

Below is a chart of how much is in each roll/box of some commonly searched US coins:

• Pennies: 50 coins per roll (50¢) - $25 per box
  • Nickels: 40 coins per roll ($2.00) - $100 per box
  • Dimes: 50 coins per roll ($5.00) - $250 per box
  • Quarters: 40 coins per roll ($10) - $500 per box
  • Halves: 20 coins per roll ($10) - $500 per box
This year I've looked through 4 boxes of Pennies and have found 31 Wheaties, 43 Canadian Pennies, and a 2 Cent Euro. I have never found an IHP. :(

I've also looked through 2 boxes of Nickels and found 1 Silver War Nickel, 1 Buffalo Nickel, 1 Proof, 4 Canadian, and a Swiss 20 Rappen.

I've looked through about $100 in Dimes this year and have found no Silver or even a Canadian Dime.

I looked through 1 roll of Quarters and found no Silver (but lots a State and America the Beautiful Quarters).

I've never looked through Halves, but I always ask the teller if they have any, one time they had 5 Silver Halves! :woot:

Last year I didn't really keep track, but I looked through around 1 box of Pennies and found around 5 Wheaties and 10 Canadians. In Nickels, I looked through about $50 and found 1 Silver War Nickel and a $1 Mexican coin (about the same size as a US Nickel). No silver in dimes or Quarters.

Some coins to look for are:

• In Pennies:

1. IHPs
  2. Wheaties
  3. Foreign Coins

• In Nickels:

1. Buffalo Nickels
  2. War Nickels (1942 P an S mints, and all Nickels 1943-1945)
  3. Proofs (Some S mints, which are early samples minted basically to test the dies, and than issued to collectors)
  4. 2009 Nickels (low Mintage)
  5. Foreign Coin

• In Dimes:

1. Silver (Pre 1965)
  2. 2009 Dimes (low mintage)
  3. Proofs (Some S mints, which are early samples minted basically to test the dies, and than issued to collectors)
  4. Foreign

• In Quarters:

1. Silver (Pre 1965)
  2. Silver Bicentennial (1976-S)
  4. Foreign

• Halves

1. 90% Silver (Pre 1964)
  2. 40% Silver (1965-1970)
  4. NIFC (Halves from 1987, and 2002-Present, as well as all proofs)
Hope you find this to be helpful, I'm looking forward to see what you find. :D

Last edited:
Ive roll hunted since '77. Hit it hard from 2008-2014. Found over 1,000 silver halves and 1,000 silver dimes. I loved hunting those dimes, one silver per $150. Barbers, mercs, and hundreds of rosies and Canadian silver.

I quit because of bank's disgusting fees. Not roll hunting fees, just fees in general. I miss it, but I don't miss the banks.

Back
Top Bottom