Hatchet Job

Reelfoot Relics

Elite Member
Been wondering how to display the hatchet heads I've been lucky enough to find, I decided to attempt to make a handle so I could hang them up in my shop. Since I won't be chopping anything with this one I used a piece of cypress so to would be easy to work. Does anyone have a source for vintage style handles?

Attachments

• IMG_5780.jpg
    IMG_5780.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 412
Wow those are really cool! Reminds me of this restoration video I watched last night:
https://youtu.be/a93mbHuTsww
His came out pretty good in my opinion, considering how it started out. Maybe you could carve your own handle? Or look around on the auction sites for cheap antique ones and repurpose just the handle.

Nice saves, all of them. Maybe for a display, a log standing on end, Probably would need a base. Epoxy. Mount in a stack fashion with a type and or time period description in between each one. Just a thought. Good luck. Mark

No electro

You did a nice job on cleaning those up. Electrolysis?

No electrolysis set up yet. I scaled the loose rust by gently tapping a small ball peen hammer then soak in transmission fluid then wire wheel. Trans fluid breaks down the little rust pockets and seems to give a nice burnished finish with out making them shiny.

No electrolysis set up yet. I scaled the loose rust by gently tapping a small ball peen hammer then soak in transmission fluid then wire wheel. Trans fluid breaks down the little rust pockets and seems to give a nice burnished finish with out making them shiny.

I will have to keep that in mind. With electrolysis you have to coat it in light oil or wax or it will start rusting quickly.

Older thread I know, but a quick web search with Axe Handle will bring up a lot of sources. There used to be some drool worthy videos on pimping axes, and hatchets, from Uncle Pimpy's Axe Palace, but I cant seem to find those anymore.

Back
Top Bottom