• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Almost duped that I got gold...

Happa54

Forum Supporter
I went for out half day today.

Half way into the hunt I got a high tone and dug.

About 4" down I saw something gold colored, small, coin looking, covered with wet dirt. OMG!!!! I started to cr_p my pants.

It was a gold coin I thought. Just like the one I just saw posted on the forums this morning... "1856 gold coin". All I could see was an eagle of some sort. My eyes are bad. I turn off my machine cuz I don't want to be bothered due to this find.

I wipe some of the mud off, I see eagle with snake in it's mouth and some Spanish writing. It's okay I thought... Spanish or English, who cares, It's gold.

I turn the coin around. It's dated 1985 and says $20. I think, this is okay for at least it's a twenty dollar gold coin. And plus the weight and all? Still thinking ka-ching, ka-ching.

I pull out my cellphone. I google it. It's Mexican 20 pesos. It's worth less than a US dollar. I become deflated.

Man O Man!!! This hobby can give you a heart attack, and all for naught.

But all-in-all, I got 11 wheaties, a beautiful 1941 Merc and a ring of which I know nothing about. No markings. Probably copper.

Anyways, thanks again for looking.

Attachments

• 05-img_20170908_211026.jpg
    05-img_20170908_211026.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 690
  • 09-img_20170908_210935.jpg
    09-img_20170908_210935.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 668
  • 08-img_20170908_210954.jpg
    08-img_20170908_210954.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 672
  • 10-img_20170908_152538.jpg
    10-img_20170908_152538.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 680
  • 1-img_20170908_213444.jpg
    1-img_20170908_213444.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 661
  • 06-img_20170908_211006.jpg
    06-img_20170908_211006.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 663
A Mexican coin and a gold plated chain did the same thing to me at the beach once. I know that adrenaline rush, followed by the big let-down, can't be good for your health, but the soft gleam of silver makes up for it. :)

A couple years I was detecting a city park that once was a school. Had a high tone and cut the plug. Lifted the plug and I could see the rim of a coin and it was a pretty yellow. With trembling hands I carefully extracted the coin and even more carefully wiped the dirt off the coin.

Then deflation set in as I had found a Gold Plated modern quarter. Don't folks know that one of those fake gold coins could give an old man a heart attack.

I feel ya...i think we've all had heart-stopper finds that went bust. I was at the beach a couple weeks ago, came across an odd signal late at night. My eyes aren't great in the dim light and I had my headlamp off. I dug up a massive guy's bracelet chain. All I could tell was it was yellow-ish. As I was planning my retirement, I snapped on my headlamp. my heart sank as the pink coppery color phased into focus. As if that wasn't enough, it kicked me in the gut with the stamped word, "copper" on the latch.

And, while we're on the subject, gold-colored pull tabs are the worst. :mad:

LOL - We've all been there, believe me! That big old honking ring would've piqued my interested.

hh,
Cal

I went for out half day today.

Half way into the hunt I got a high tone and dug.

About 4" down I saw something gold colored, small, coin looking, covered with wet dirt. OMG!!!! I started to cr_p my pants.

It was a gold coin I thought. Just like the one I just saw posted on the forums this morning... "1856 gold coin". All I could see was an eagle of some sort. My eyes are bad. I turn off my machine cuz I don't want to be bothered due to this find.

I wipe some of the mud off, I see eagle with snake in it's mouth and some Spanish writing. It's okay I thought... Spanish or English, who cares, It's gold.

I turn the coin around. It's dated 1985 and says $20. I think, this is okay for at least it's a twenty dollar gold coin. And plus the weight and all? Still thinking ka-ching, ka-ching.

I pull out my cellphone. I google it. It's Mexican 20 pesos. It's worth less than a US dollar. I become deflated.

Man O Man!!! This hobby can give you a heart attack, and all for naught.

But all-in-all, I got 11 wheaties, a beautiful 1941 Merc and a ring of which I know nothing about. No markings. Probably copper.

Anyways, thanks again for looking.

LOL First time I came across Pesos, it was $100. I didn't have quite the same reaction, because I'd gone to Mexico... so I simply tossed it to my son, and told him I found a $100 gold coin. HE almost pooped himself. Made me laugh. Made him mad. LOL

Still, though, you had fun! Woot!

Skippy

I was in a park and dug a gold coin. I was happy beyond belief until I realized it was one of those rip off, gold coated presidential dollars advertised on tv.

Worse, it somehow got mixed with some coins headed for the tumbler. Knocked all the "gold" right off of it.

First let me congrats you on some nice finds. I'd have that ring looked at closer. Second been here done that. Digging in a park saw a good colored coin in the hole. About fainted until I got it out and saw it was European and basically worthless. Oh well. Was a great adrenaline rush.

Don't feel bad, I found a $1000 "gold" mexican coin a couple years ago.....only worth about 75 cents

Back
Top Bottom