We Never Sought Treasure

atomicbrh

Elite Member
We started detecting on and off in 1995.
With more free time resulting from retirement and the advancement of the technology in the past few years, we decided to detect more frequently this year.
Our purpose in starting this hobby was not to seek any significant treasure or wealth. It is simple fun just to beep, dig and see what is buried. We also enjoy the technology of how the different detectors work, the historical research to find new places to detect, the interaction with historians in the area and the pestering of our friends to detect their property. It seems like there are quite a few newbies posting on the forum that actually think if they buy a detector, they are going to find a huge treasure that nobody else can find and all they need is that magical detector.

Why did you start detecting?

I started detecting 14 years ago. I had a stroke and my doctor said I needed to get out more. My only interest at the time was to gold pan. The problem with that is there is no gold in my state. I looked online and see all you fellows finding gold and silver. The rest is history

With more free time resulting from retirement and the advancement of the technology in the past few years, we decided to detect more frequently this year.
Our purpose in starting this hobby was not to seek any significant treasure or wealth. It is simple fun just to beep, dig and see what is buried. We also enjoy the technology of how the different detectors work, the historical research to find new places to detect, the interaction with historians in the area and the pestering of our friends to detect their property. It seems like there are quite a few newbies posting on the forum that actually think if they buy a detector, they are going to find a huge treasure that nobody else can find and all they need is that magical detector.

I was a dirt digger I loved the thrill of the discovery... then I got into beach hunting and it spoiled me but I still dig dirt occasionally... I didn't care what I found.... I have made friends with a few historical society presidents and these guys want to take me to spots that know about and want to see what is in the ground..

When I was in fourth grade, I saw a neighbor pull a brass lion out of his front yard. From that point on, I was fascinated with MDing. Now days shotshell brass is my main target.

What drew me the most is a metal detector is a 'time machine' that locates things dropped or buried by someone that walked this ground before me. I look at what I find wondering who it was, where are they now, what was life like to this person back then. Thats number one for me.

to find huge treasure that nobody else can find using magical wand! 35 years and still lookin'. I'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

My Uncle up in Kansas took me to an old schoolhouse with his Garret and let me use it. I was hooked after I dug up my first square nail. Decades later I am still hooked.

My father-in-law came visiting out West several times in the Seventies with his White's Goldmaster (?) and I took him to some old townsites and structures in the boonies near where I was working. He had a good time and found some stuff. I always thought that it looked like fun and I always was interested in history. At any rate, life and other interests got in the way until I retired and we bumped into some other folks that became fast friends that used metal detectors and were finding stuff. I finally got an MD. I've only been doing this for a little more than three years, but I've been having fun, learning from my devices and this forum in lots of ways. Biggest obstacles to getting out swinging?: Bugs, mean thorny foliage, rain and heat.

In about 1975-ish, Seeing a fellow Jr. High school buddy (7th or 8th grade ?) pull up a wheat penny from a school yard near us with his Compass 77b. In retrospect, that penny was probably only dated 1950s. But by the mid 1970s wheat pennies were already long-gone from circulation.

And since I had a "penny collection" of my own (with the help of my dad), I immediately recognized that this was one of those "older kind of pennies".

I was immediately hooked on the notion that you could get a buzzing-beep, and find old coins !! :laughing:

I bought a Whites XLT in 1998 thinking I would find a lot of silver and old stuff. Not really knowing what I was doing or where to go I kind of bombed my first go around. I did manage a Merc and a silver Rosie though. I did keep the detector. I used it a few times over the years until 2017 when I decided to give it another serious try after watching youtube videos. I knew a spot in the woods at the end of my street with an old cistern. I started finding iron stuff and lead at first. Then a flat button. Then boom 1867 2 Center. Next weekend 1851 Seated dime. I never looked back.

Had I not found those two coins I seriously doubt I would be sitting here typing this. Besides the good people here on FMDing I've met three guys locally I hunt with. I like to find any old coin and silver coins. Basically anything old. Sometimes the neat older relics trump the old coin finds. Put me in a place where I can find old stuff and I'm happy whether I'm killing it or stinking it up. I enjoy the thrill of the chase.

When I was around 9 years old I lived on a farm house. I liked to dig holes and one day I dug and found an old painted piece of pottery. I ran back to the house to show my dad and since I was so excited I asked for a metal detector for Christmas and I have been hooked since.

My dad took me out one day with an old wildcat of his and the thrill of finding coins got me interested but when I got my own machine for my birthday then I got really hooked on.

My wife and I began together in 2006. She loves to beach hunt (she hates hard digging...lol!) Work and other time-sucking events kept me from hunting for a couple of years - but getting back into what I love again now! As many have already said - it's a combination of the thrill of the hunt combined with knowing that each "bell chime" has the possibility of being its own time capsule. It doesn't get any better than that!

Back
Top Bottom