Token,V Nickel, Wheat spill

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
Haven't posted much lately, mostly because my finds have not been all the postworthy. I have hunted hard over the past few months, -parks, curb strips and a few yards. Silver coins have been relatively scarce in 2021, compared to last year. I just hit 35 FTY despite hunting even more hours. This is no doubt because I keep hunting the same old parks, trying to squeak out my first pre-1900 silver coin of any type. I have gotten close with a 1901 barber dime, but still haven't broken into the 1800s with silver. But I did want to share what is maybe the neatest spill I have ever dug. The wheat dates to 1913, the V Nickel is a 1907 and the Capitol Bar token dates to 1916-17. All were found in the same hole with the wheat and the nickel stuck together by the green crust. The target ID on my Equinox was a trashy, unstable 10-19, but it showed as deep as the depth meter can show. So I dug a fairly large plug and found all three at 10+ inches under the sod. The Capitol Bar was located about 8 blocks from the park where these were found and best as I can learn, was only operating for a couple of years. The address is now a parking lot for a hotel. I suspect the last person to have these in their pocket, left the Capitol Bar and decided to sleep it off at the park, where they fell out.
Thanks for looking and happy Thanksgiving !!

Attachments

• token V wheat spill 1.jpg
    token V wheat spill 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 204
  • token V wheat spill 2 .jpg
    token V wheat spill 2 .jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 203
Congrats MT on the unique spill.
I too have found a V and wheat in the same hole, but the token is the “whip cream on the pumpkin pie!”
Happy Thanksgiving!
HH

Very cool token, congrats on the Vand wheat also. You gotta love an old spill. Good luck on your quest for pre-1900 silver. Mark

Great finds. To bad ya can't hit the bar to trade in the token to celebrate.
\
Thanks ! yep, all the good places are gone....:(

Congrats MT on the unique spill.
I too have found a V and wheat in the same hole, but the token is the “whip cream on the pumpkin pie!”
Happy Thanksgiving!
HH
\
I haven't found many old tokens, every one is special. Thank you

Very cool token, congrats on the Vand wheat also. You gotta love an old spill. Good luck on your quest for pre-1900 silver. Mark
Thanks Mark, I have only found a couple of other of old spills. hopefully my next old spill will be old and shiny....:yes:

Nice Saves MTtrashdigger, Token is really cool. :thumbsup:
Thanks! historical tokens are an extremely rare dig for me.

Very nice WWI era spill dig! If that bar was only open for a couple years, then those tokens are probably not very common at all!

My research indicates there was a diamond shaped token from this bar as well. It said "THIS CHECK & TEN CENTS GOOD FOR 12½¢ IN TRADE"

First appearance in the Billings city directory was 1913
CAPITOL BAR, Charles Olson Propr.
A Place For Gentlemen.
Best Draft Beer in Billings.
27l5 1/2 Montana av, Mutual Tel 1037

the 1916-17 directory listing:

CAPITOL BAR, Charles Olson Propr,
A Place for Gentlemen, Waterfill
& Frazier Whisky Used Exclusively
2715 Montana av, Phone 1037.

If it existed after that, I cannot find a record.

Congrats on that nice old spill!
Neat history. if only the coins we find could tell the stories of their travels

Back
Top Bottom