And then the Legend let-down šŸ¤„

Monte

"In Memory of"
I took a look at the Pro-Pack that I was interested in and saw the new 6" DD coil. Sadly, they put the rod-mount ears completely to the rear rather than centered ... or at least close to. Why a manufacturer can't do it right when they do them well on other coils.

Monte

Fortunately, I do have the Nokta / Makrlo devices I need.

For Relic HUNTIng in very dense ferrous debris with excellent unmasking ability, I have the FORS CoRe W/ 'OOR' mounted and FORS Relic w/5" DD mounted.

For General-Purpose Hunting I have the Impact w/7" Concentric mounted (with rod-mount ears close to center). And for any freshwater beach work or hunting on those days of potential thunder showers, the Simplex + is at-the-ready w/5X9.5 mounted.

All very trusted N/M models.

Monte

That's one of my biggest gripes with some detectors. When we look down and notice that our coil isn't level, we press it against the ground to level it. Pretty sure everyone does it several times per hunt. When the rod isn't mounted in the center of the coil it makes doing ground presses a pain in the ass. I was disappointed to see that the new Deus 2 has the same rod mounting location as the previous one, which is not centered. Not sure why manufacturers can't seem to figure this out.

That's one of my biggest gripes with some detectors. When we look down and notice that our coil isn't level, we press it against the ground to level it. Pretty sure everyone does it several times per hunt. When the rod isn't mounted in the center of the coil it makes doing ground presses a pain in the ass. I was disappointed to see that the new Deus 2 has the same rod mounting location as the previous one, which is not centered. Not sure why manufacturers can't seem to figure this out.
We want to maintain a level coil and a rear-positioned rod-mount makes it tough. Coils easily bump out of position. It can also make things a bit more nose-heavy.

Their 7" Concentric is good, but tbe round 8" Concentric for the Simplex + is terrible which is why my choice, and most others, is the 5X9.5 with the more centered position.

Monte

I've got an equinox and the 6" coil, and the wire location makes putting the coil on somewhat cumbersome and more difficult to tighten the nut. I'm guessing they moved the coil ears to make putting the coil on easier. Perhaps they should have kept the coil ears in the middle and moved the wire location. Or since these coils aren't equinox coils you'll be able to tighten them up more to keep them level without worrying about snapping the coil ears off.

I took a look at the Pro-Pack that I was interested in and saw the new 6" DD coil. Sadly, they put the rod-mount ears completely to the rear rather than centered ... or at least close to. Why a manufacturer can't do it right when they do them well on other coils.

Monte

Being a 6 inch coil , you think it will be that big of a deal?

Agreed, can't imagine it being that big of a deal on such a small coil. I also find it interesting that Monte wrote a post saying the Legend is a let down when it hasn't been released yet and claim that his other nokta detectors are better suited for his hunting. It hasn't been released and tested yet....

As someone who hunts a lot of tot lots I prefer an oval coil mounted at the rear. Makes getting in close and tight places handier.

Yes. Even the 5" for my Relic should have had the rod- mount closer to center. It is not going to be an easy to use coil when hunting any site with uneven terrain or stiff weeds. Etc. to bump the coil.

Monte

Agreed, can't imagine it being that big of a deal on such a small coil. I also find it interesting that Monte wrote a post saying the Legend is a let down when it hasn't been released yet and claim that his other nokta detectors are better suited for his hunting. It hasn't been released and tested yet....
I am saying the coil design was a letdown.

No, we haven't used the Legend yet, and I honestly hope it works well. But I haven't found anything yet that beats my CoRe and Relic in the nasty iron choked ghost towns we like to hunt, to include other N/M products.

Monte

It is REALLY a big deal for anyone who is tall.

When I worked the MDT, that oval rear mount coil was the worst coil in 50 years of detecting, I have ever had in my hand.

The coil just catches and is harder to keep horizontal with the ground. ANY coil that does not have a center mount SUCKS!

Last edited:
Lets see how it pans out. Being a DD coil as constructed, the rear coil ears would normally be an issue depending upon its weight and what is inside to fill the coil, reg. weight potting epoxy or foam or a lightweight epoxy. Being such a small coil can make it a bit tough to locate the coil wire and strain relief fitting.
By putting the strain relief just ahead of the ear and off to the side. I can visualize the coil wire keeping the coil in place and from falling forward. Since it is more of a round coil, it shouldn't flop forward like an oval coil.

So I bet what doesn't look right to you is actually well thought out.

Attachments

• coilr.jpg
    coilr.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 389
Back
Top Bottom