Winter Beach Detecting in NE

ThatGuyAgain

Forum Supporter
I’m planning on giving up on detecting the land over the winter since it freezes solid near me (Massachusetts). What kind of luck have people had working the beaches over the winter? There aren’t any crowds to drop things in the dry sand, but I figure the low tides might still be fruitful.

I’m planning on giving up on detecting the land over the winter since it freezes solid near me (Massachusetts). What kind of luck have people had working the beaches over the winter? There aren’t any crowds to drop things in the dry sand, but I figure the low tides might still be fruitful.
It's sure worth a try but my one piece of advice is be very careful if you get into the water is to keep a careful watch on your body temp. Hypothermia can sneak up on you very quickly. I have friends that scuba dive up north and that is their primary concern.

Cliff

The beaches in the Northeast are ripe for the pickings during the winter months. You're goal is to find erosion from the winter storms which can uncover targets that have been lost for decades. Easier said then done though. You can still hunt inland here In the winter, just have to stick to the woods where there is plenty of fallen foliage. This insulates the ground, and it does not freeze. It's the snow that usually puts an end to dirt hunting for me. Good luck out there!

It's sure worth a try but my one piece of advice is be very careful if you get into the water is to keep a careful watch on your body temp. Hypothermia can sneak up on you very quickly. I have friends that scuba dive up north and that is their primary concern.

Cliff

Good advice to be sure. I think I’ll avoid actually going in the water since I don’t have a wetsuit or drysuit, but my winter galoshes at least open up the tidal flats :-)

The beaches in the Northeast are ripe for the pickings during the winter months. You're goal is to find erosion from the winter storms which can uncover targets that have been lost for decades. Easier said then done though. You can still hunt inland here In the winter, just have to stick to the woods where there is plenty of fallen foliage. This insulates the ground, and it does not freeze. It's the snow that usually puts an end to dirt hunting for me. Good luck out there!

Interesting - I hadn’t thought about working forests in the winter. That’s a good idea! I have access to a large plot up in Maine that might be worth exploring.

I'm about 400 miles south of you and I can tell you I hate the cold here even. I do hunt in the winter and "in the water" but the older I get the less I look forward to going out. Gold and just getting out keeps me going..

You don't have to worry about hunting dry sand it freezes like concrete... even the upper to mid slope will freeze... wionter is the best time to beach hunt... I only hunt the winter months...

During the summer currents and winds bring sand in, during the winter it pulls it out exposing older sand and rocks...

If you get a good storm you can hunt with the storm and then after the storm especially if you get strong NW winds they will push water out farther than the best minus tides...

Get yourself some gauntlet gloves (trappers gloves) add to them hot hands and you will be fine... going in water neoprene waders...

https://www.northerntrapping.com/cg...0&title=BeMac-Insulated-Full-Length-Gauntlets

Back
Top Bottom