New products from Owl Engineering

Owl Engineering

Forum Supporter
Hello,

I had mentioned a few months ago on one of the threads that I was working on what I considered "Revolutionary" detector handles. I think the members here will judge my statement :roll:

We have a number of products that we are presenting today:

1 - PowerHandle for the Excalibur (light and slim)
2 - StorkLeg upgrade for the Equinox (snaps into place)
3 - A rugged Cuff for the Equinox (direct fit, plug and play)
4 - KnobGuard for the Excalibur (protect your investment)

The design goals focused directly on when you are Hunting, land or water.

Light weight and super slim so to slip through the water.

Our radical design may scare a few, but they will get over it once they see the benifits.

We feel that our innovations will result in more gold in your goodie bag.

Regards,
Chuck

Attachments

• PH 7 point 0.jpg
    PH 7 point 0.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 622
  • Cuff mounted better angle  1000.jpg
    Cuff mounted better angle 1000.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 621
  • NOX-1  1200.jpg
    NOX-1 1200.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 616
  • NOX-1 connection 1200.jpg
    NOX-1 connection 1200.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 609
  • thumbnail_guard.jpg
    thumbnail_guard.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 627
  • PowerHandle 2.jpg
    PowerHandle 2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 614
  • thumbnail_PowerHandle 7 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_PowerHandle 7 (1).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 617
I must be missing something here. What is so "revolutionary" ? The grab handle doesn't look like some top secret project I was expecting. And I have no idea what the whole "stork" leg thing is about. Shafts look smaller in diameter to rip through the water better , but idk. I do like the arm cuff. Are there videos of what is so different here on these products that will help me understand them better ?

Great product Chuck

I have made something similar they cut through the water very easily and are light on the wet sand. I have one on my TDI BH and one for the Xcal witch is still on its dive shaft but will be on the skinny shaft shortly. I have had problems with my shafts parts breaking as I do not have them made of the right material. next time I have a problem I will not fix it I will order from you for sure. As the years add up my shoulder needs all the help it can get.

Great Idea

Attachments

• chuck.jpg
    chuck.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 597
Great product Chuck

I have made something similar they cut through the water very easily and are light on the wet sand. I have one on my TDI BH and one for the Xcal witch is still on its dive shaft but will be on the skinny shaft shortly. I have had problems with my shafts parts breaking as I do not have them made of the right material. next time I have a problem I will not fix it I will order from you for sure. As the years add up my shoulder needs all the help it can get.

Great Idea
Not bad...are they breaking because of flex in the shaft ? I can see where their might be a huge difference in a lighter , thinner shaft when swinging for 5+ hours. But I have never tried something like that. I've thought about the same issues your having in terms of reliability and breakage , flex.

Not bad...are they breaking because of flex in the shaft ? I can see where their might be a huge difference in a lighter , thinner shaft when swinging for 5+ hours. But I have never tried something like that. I've thought about the same issues your having in terms of reliability and breakage , flex.

My weak part is the coil connection. I am not a plastic person I made them out of abs that worked but I had to be very careful around un even ground, rocks, deep holes I dig, and waves. if it broke I had to make another, now having Chuck I can buy the shaft and I have no problem paying for parts that break because I was to rough with it, as long as I can get a replacement quick.
after using a skinny shaft with the control under your elbow you will never want to go back.

All looks great! I have seen a few of the Noxer's out with similar storklegs, not sure who made them but they seem to be holding up well. No doubt should fit well with the water hunters.

I too like the KOB was expecting some exotic designed handle, but really what you have I don't think you could have made anything better as far as having less resistance in the water. Question, is it Carbon fiber? And is the grip hard rubber, or the soft spongy.

Just a wild shot but just looking at the Excalibur kit, not only would it allow less resistance when swing (in water) but may allow better coil control, being more agile. Like you said being a radical design my only concern might be me as a water hunter, I lean a lot on my shaft when digging. That would be my only worry.

Best of Luck, Hope to hear some reviews soon.

I actually had an arm cuff failure on my Equinox on Sunday and was telling Craig that it was poorly designed. That baby you designed looks great!

Greetings folks and I hope everyone is doing well.

John Boy here and I do quite a bit of beach hunting with the Gigmaster here in Virginia.

I’ve been relic hunting here in Virginia for about 35 years. I mostly hunt civil war and colonial relics. I’ve used a ton of different land machines over the years with great success hunting relics. I consider myself to be very fortunate to have had the opportunity to dig lots of war relics, colonial relics that include a lot of Spanish Silver coins like reales, pieces of eight, bits and cobs. I’ve dug a bunch of buckles, sword belt plates and box plates. But my pride has been some of the super rare civil war and rev war buttons I’ve found. I have been pretty lucky to live here in Virginia that has offered me so many historical targets; that’s been half my success.

I live outside the Tidewater area and began hunting the beaches back in the 90’s with a Fisher 1280-X Aquanaut. I used it for scuba diving as well. But when I wanted to hunt the beach, I had to quickly mount the control box to my weight belt and hunt with the shaft and coil. Those were the good days with plenty of gold class rings, gold wedding bands and lots of silver to be found. Heck, there was gold everything to be found. Now, there’s a lot of hybrid metals so you have to be persistent and hunt hard for the gold. Not to mention that there’s a ton of beach hunters now.

I never was a pulse guy and graduated up to a Fisher CZ21. These were bulky machines but I certainly made good gold with it. Did most of my hunting at night when the tide was right and folks were gone.

Things have certainly changed and so have the machines. I spend most of my time behind and Equinox 800 on the beach and in the water submerged. It’s a great beach machined and hunts very well in the saltwater. Gigmaster and I have done very well on the rings this year with the Equinox. But, it’s my opinion that the Equinox has been susceptible to flooding, weak coil brackets, a weak shaft and the arm supports that always want to break. Most everyone upgrades the shafts and arm cuffs to Detect-Ed and also strengthen their coil tabs. But if mine broke or flooded today, I’d purchase another one tomorrow; they’re that good. Like everything, just not perfect!

But, I decided to purchase an Excalibur II and was looking for a water shaft to hunt with. Naturally I reached out to this forum which I’ve been a member for over 15 years. There is a ton of expertise on the water forum and that’s what I was looking for to guide me towards the proper shaft and handle system.

I happen to cross paths with Chuck from Owl Engineering who was kind enough to let me test his prototype on my new Excalibur. I wanted to thank Chuck for letting me be the Guinea Pig and experiment around in the water with his new system. For the record, I do not know Chuck or Owl Engineering so he took a risk sending me his product.

Over several decades and lots of detectors, I feel like I have some credible experience with detecting land, with scuba and on the beaches. But I’ll never claim to be the expert. There are several beach and water hunters on this forum I would love to hunt with; just for bragging rights. I’m certainly not trying to surpass the awesome knowledge and success that some of you bring to the table but here’s my story:

Chuck was kind enough to send me his prototype that was very carefully packaged and shipped to my house. This was a prototype mock up and was not anodized. I was advised how this system would be finished and was good with that. Mine was simply a functioning model. It came with an upper shaft, handle, a newly designed arm cuff and a stork leg lower shaft. I attached my new Excalibur to the shaft and routed the coil cable, and after charging, it was ready to go.

Then the North winds hit Virginia Beach with 3 to 5 foot sea conditions. Absolutely not conducive for wading in the water. Plus the North winds were actually adding sand to the beach, covering everything up. I was itching to go but Mother Nature trapped me on the beach.

Gigmaster and I actually hit the beach last week which allowed me to do a little testing. To begin with, the Excalibur is a new detector for me. I have never used one, so I’m at a learning curve. But, learning how a detector operates is completely different how a detector travels through the water. I know how poorly my Equinox travels when submerged.

I used Chuck’s shaft and handle system on the beach, wading in knee high water and completely submerged. My personal perspective was very positive with this system. The machine glided through the water almost effortlessly. After bulldozing the Equinox through the water, Chucks system was a breeze. I was almost moving it too fast and I had to slow it down. I found the system very light weight and it yields a good balance in the water and it gave me excellent coil control. The horizontally mounted control box and battery also help cut down the water’s drag.

I plan to use his stork leg system for a while and give it some good testing. The shafts are smaller diameter with very minor flexing. I found this system to be nicely constructed and an ease to put together.

Being that this is a new product, I cannot tell how it will function with months heavy use. All I can say is that I honestly like it and hope to return with additional good reports. I’ll tell it like it is, good or bad. I’m sure if any issues arise, the Owl will make it right.

Last edited:
My weak part is the coil connection. I am not a plastic person I made them out of abs that worked but I had to be very careful around un even ground, rocks, deep holes I dig, and waves. if it broke I had to make another, now having Chuck I can buy the shaft and I have no problem paying for parts that break because I was to rough with it, as long as I can get a replacement quick.
after using a skinny shaft with the control under your elbow you will never want to go back.

3d printed will last about an hour or until you lean on it. Had my coil dangling in the middle of the beach a couple of times. Use the 3d printer to make a mold.
Chucks shafts do look good.

Did you 2 work together on this ? Or is what your saying , Owl swooped in and stole your idea ?

Makes nk difference... right around the time I created these shafts I exchanged emails with a guy who was interested in making a shaft for himself. A couple of weeks later a new shop opened up using my name and ideas.

it's a dog eat dog world and not complaining. check out eBay, you,can find a dozen copies of chuck/stavr scoops.
chucks shafts look great and very professional

Last edited:
Chuck - One thing that I think needs to be developed, and I think you just may be the innovator to do it, is snap on coil covers for the Excal and Equinox. Not like the current ones that we have that just protect the bottom of coil along its shape. I mean covers that'll snap as 2 halves on the top and bottom and make the WHOLE COIL more disc like. I believe there's a lot of drag created by coils. One thing I noticed when I had my Sand Shark is how much easier that baby would slide through the water over my CZ21. I truly believe this is an untapped and potential area to really maximize hydrodynamics along with the the thinner shafts like you developed.

Chuck

Was watching the Curse Of Oak Island the other night, and thought I saw Gary Drayton sporting your arm cuff- on the Equinox he was using , usually he uses a CTX3030, however in this episode he was using a Equinox , looks heavy duty , I haven't broken my plastic one yet , probably won't on the beach , but for people submerging there NOX , the arm cuff would be a nice addition :neat:

Main problem with the skinny excal shafts is if say you got an excal blue that is older. You may crack the coil wire. Got several originals Steve made years ago. Beware how you wind the coil wire! Also the skinny shafts trap water unless you drill a hole somewhere. Otherwise when you flip the detector upside down the water is trapped like a thumb on a straw.

Back
Top Bottom