Why I Knowingly Dig Pennies & Even Trash

I shouldn't tell you that the only gold ring I have found so far was a 9.9 gram 14k wedding band that rang up solidly as a 20 on my equinox.....but it's true.

Yes, this is true! I myself tested a friends huge 22k chunk gold ring and it rang 22. However this is not the norm. It is VERY RARE to get a piece of gold to ring 20 and over. Dewcon has a great picture chart where 100's of rings rang in at.

Your groupings of sounds and VDI, numbers should be enough to tell gold or zinc penny.

Yes, this is true! I myself tested a friends huge 22k chunk gold ring and it rang 22. However this is not the norm. It is VERY RARE to get a piece of gold to ring 20 and over. Dewcon has a great picture chart where 100's of rings rang in at.

Your groupings of sounds and VDI, numbers should be enough to tell gold or zinc penny.

I once found a 24k nugget ring for a guy which read a 52 on my Whites V3i, a signal I would expect to be a zinc penny. That thing weighed 17 grams. I won't start digging wild zinc signals but that find tells me there is treasures left.

My areas are just trash pits compared you moist spots by the sounds of it, if I dug everything I wouldn't make it 30 feet in an hour in the water. I have to rely on my ear on the excal, I end up digging more rusty bottlecaps than I maybe should but those low tones they give can be tempting when that's what I primarily go for.

My last 10k ring rang up a solid 10-40(penny) on the Ctx!

Attachments

• 8D40C8E9-0474-444D-A7A1-B5483073953B.jpeg
    8D40C8E9-0474-444D-A7A1-B5483073953B.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 193
My two most favorite “penny” tones that I felt compelled to dig as I was leaving the beach on 2 separate occasions: silver & diamond(s) ring and an 1800s British Navy button.

IMG_6029.jpg
IMG_5281.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix-cat : The only thing I would add to your post is this :

While what you are saying is true (that gold rings can and will read in the trash , and even up to zinc penny range), that to simply say : "Dig all these signals if you want to find gold rings" is NOT THE RECIPE FOR FINDING GOLD RINGS.

It's already a *given* that gold rings come in all over the scale: Dainty ones can come in at foil. Medium bands can come in at nickel or tab. Fatter bands can come in at square tab. And yes, a very very fat beefy 10k class ring, or super bowl ring, can come in at nearly penny. This is already a "given".

So the "trick to finding gold rings" is NOT to "go out to junky parks and dig junk and pennies till your arms fall off". Instead, the trick is : Location location location.

Tom, I got to tell you,,,,I swing an excal and I can easily hear a zinc penny but copper pennies and matching high tones is almost every heavy 14/18k bands and larger rings I have found and my beaches are so picked over for targets I am digging any repeatable target

So Tim,

Tom, I got to tell you,,,,I swing an excal and I can easily hear a zinc penny but copper pennies and matching high tones is almost every heavy 14/18k bands and larger rings I have found and my beaches are so picked over for targets I am digging any repeatable target

What does that Super bowl size ring you wear ring up as?..Gil

I recall one storm erosion episode that took a certain beach down to cobble and bedrock. All the light stuff had been pulled out. Even zinc pennies ! (since those are lighter weight). All that was left was heavier coins (copper pennies, dimes, clad, etc...) fishing sinkers, car keys, etc...

It was so insanely packed with targets, that a guy would easily get 300+ coins if he "dug every target". So we actually got to where we SKIPPED penny & up (yup, kiss the super bowl rings goodbye, kiss silver dimes goodbye). And by doing that, we actually increased our gold ring ratios. Since, let's be honest : Only a very very small percentage of gold rings read up at copper penny.

We could dig the zinc signals, since there was no zinc left after the erosion. BUT EVEN THEN it was beginning to be a nuisance. Because a worn down dime (beach-tumblers) tended to be worn down to where they read as zinc. So we probably got lazy and skipped even zinc signals too (kiss some larger gold rings goodbye).

But ironically, this served to increase the odds of gold rings. Because you only had so much time , before the next high tide would chase you out.

As an example, a buddy of mine had over 100 nickels on one of those days, and 7 gold rings. If he had dug the penny signals, he probably would have had something like 200 pennies, and ended the day with 3 gold rings (since his time and energy would have been to spend all day digging pennies).

Admittedly this is a rare scenario :laughing:

What does that Super bowl size ring you wear ring up as?..Gil

the 32 gram 22K with a one karat ruby and diamonds rings like a penny,,,,,:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Gil, you know my beaches and most days there are not many targets to dig and we did everything except a known bottle cap,,,,There is not one 14/18/22K 10+ gram ring that I have gotten that didn't sound like a copper penny. However, like yesterday we were at a beach that was so riddled with can lids and trash I was passing them but at Siesta or Lido, its dig every target except a known bottle cap,,,,,GL HH

I recall one storm erosion episode that took a certain beach down to cobble and bedrock. All the light stuff had been pulled out. Even zinc pennies ! (since those are lighter weight). All that was left was heavier coins (copper pennies, dimes, clad, etc...) fishing sinkers, car keys, etc...

It was so insanely packed with targets, that a guy would easily get 300+ coins if he "dug every target". So we actually got to where we SKIPPED penny & up (yup, kiss the super bowl rings goodbye, kiss silver dimes goodbye). And by doing that, we actually increased our gold ring ratios. Since, let's be honest : Only a very very small percentage of gold rings read up at copper penny.

We could dig the zinc signals, since there was no zinc left after the erosion. BUT EVEN THEN it was beginning to be a nuisance. Because a worn down dime (beach-tumblers) tended to be worn down to where they read as zinc. So we probably got lazy and skipped even zinc signals too (kiss some larger gold rings goodbye).

But ironically, this served to increase the odds of gold rings. Because you only had so much time , before the next high tide would chase you out.

As an example, a buddy of mine had over 100 nickels on one of those days, and 7 gold rings. If he had dug the penny signals, he probably would have had something like 200 pennies, and ended the day with 3 gold rings (since his time and energy would have been to spend all day digging pennies).

Admittedly this is a rare scenario :laughing:

Tom, I agree, each beach is different and if I am hunting a beach with tons of can slaw,,I may miss a cross, gold earring or a small chain and if I am at a beach full of pennies, I may miss a fatty ring. However, digging those targets is the only way you will get large high K rings or small odd shaped gold and my beaches are not littered with any targets so they all get dug :laughing:,,,GL HH

Back
Top Bottom