Baton Rouge Parks Metal Detecting Regulations

atomicbrh

Elite Member
Because someone probably asked.
(Some of those parks in Baton Rouge are so wild that they cannot be recognized as a park and they are worried about the turf.)

From the BREC website:
Metal Detecting

The use of metal detectors can be a great hobby and way to stay fit in the parks! Metal Detecting is allowed in public areas of BREC parks with the exception of all golf courses, all athletic ball fields, Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center, BREC's Baton Rouge Zoo, Cohn Arboretum, Frenchtown Conservation Area, Greenwood Community Park, Independence Botanical Gardens, North Sherwood Forest Community Park, Liberty Lagoon Waterpark, and Magnolia Mound Plantation. The following rules must be followed when metal detecting in the BREC parks.

Metal detecting is only allowed during daylight hours.

All federal and state antiquity laws must be obeyed.

If you find an item of possible historic or cultural significance, leave the item where you found it. Please contact park staff. Historic or culturally significant items or the property of BREC and will be used to help interpret the park and our history.

The probing and digging for items is limited to the use of an ice pick, screwdriver or small knife. The use of larger digging tools is prohibited.

All turf, dirt, etc. must be left in the original condition after digging. Take care to not damage tree roots.

All articles found in BREC parks having a value of over $100 must be turned over to BREC.

The cutting of vegetation and driving of motor vehicles outside of designated areas is prohibited.

Metal Detecting in playgrounds is only allowed when children are not present.

Please help keep the parks clean and remove debris.

Utilities are located in the park. Do not probe deeper than six inches.

Metal detecting is an at risk hobby or sport and BREC is not responsible for any injuries resulting from this activity.

Please help keep the hobby of metal detecting an allowable use in the parks by respecting the rules and caring for the parks. These rules are subject to change.

If you encounter any suspicious activity or abusive behavior in a BREC park please locate the Park Attendant if at a Community Park or call: 225-252-2620.

If you have an emergency requiring the police, emergency calls should be made first to East Baton Rouge Parish Emergency, dial 911. If you would like to speak with the police department and its not an emergency, then please dial 225-389-3831.

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 246
Atomicbrh : There's an example of the typical silliness that inevitably accompanies any "express allowance " for md'ing.

EVEN IF YOU GOT THE "YES", it'll have all sorts of wonderful footnotes. :roll:

Yet for some reason, md'rs seem to want someone to tell them "yes you can ". They're not content with silent-on-the-subject. They're not content with ambiguous language. So they run around swatting hornet's nests, and end up with stuff like that. (And yes, I'll bet that was the origin of your citation )

Atomicbrh : There's an example of the typical silliness that inevitably accompanies any "express allowance " for md'ing.

EVEN IF YOU GOT THE "YES", it'll have all sorts of wonderful footnotes. :roll:

Yet for some reason, md'rs seem to want someone to tell them "yes you can ". They're not content with silent-on-the-subject. They're not content with ambiguous language. So they run around swatting hornet's nests, and end up with stuff like that. (And yes, I'll bet that was the origin of your citation )
The icing on the bureaucratic cake was the "who to call" phone numbers in cascade call system fashion at the bottom of the page to report the detectorists performing the suspicious behavior. The thing is Baton Rouge has many public parks that are basically a wilderness just like when the Acadians first laid eyes on it.

Don't they have skeeters the size of seagulls there ? How about the gators , snakes , snapping turtles , spiders the size of Turkeys ? And how bout the Black Panthers ?

I love this one....All articles found in BREC parks having a value of over $100 must be turned over to BREC.

good luck with that. Find a nice gold ring with some ice? quietly slip that baby into my junk pouch or hide in my boot.

Don't they have skeeters the size of seagulls there ? How about the gators , snakes , snapping turtles , spiders the size of Turkeys ? And how bout the Black Panthers ?

Yep. The story of the Acadian goes that they travelled all the way down the east coast, around the tip of Florida and up the gulf coast until they arrived at a place so isolated and where the living conditions were so horrible that nobody would interfere with their religious beliefs. Then they created insane metal detecting laws to restrict freedoms just like the place they came from.

A small knife? I wouldnt change How I normally dig when using my lesche and there is no way any utilites would be shallower than say a foot.

Because someone probably asked.
(Some of those parks in Baton Rouge are so wild that they cannot be recognized as a park and they are worried about the turf.)

From the BREC website:
Metal Detecting

The use of metal detectors can be a great hobby and way to stay fit in the parks! Metal Detecting is allowed in public areas of BREC parks with the exception of all golf courses, all athletic ball fields, Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center, BREC's Baton Rouge Zoo, Cohn Arboretum, Frenchtown Conservation Area, Greenwood Community Park, Independence Botanical Gardens, North Sherwood Forest Community Park, Liberty Lagoon Waterpark, and Magnolia Mound Plantation. The following rules must be followed when metal detecting in the BREC parks.

Metal detecting is only allowed during daylight hours.

All federal and state antiquity laws must be obeyed.

If you find an item of possible historic or cultural significance, leave the item where you found it. Please contact park staff. Historic or culturally significant items or the property of BREC and will be used to help interpret the park and our history.

The probing and digging for items is limited to the use of an ice pick, screwdriver or small knife. The use of larger digging tools is prohibited.

All turf, dirt, etc. must be left in the original condition after digging. Take care to not damage tree roots.

All articles found in BREC parks having a value of over $100 must be turned over to BREC.

The cutting of vegetation and driving of motor vehicles outside of designated areas is prohibited.

Metal Detecting in playgrounds is only allowed when children are not present.

Please help keep the parks clean and remove debris.

Utilities are located in the park. Do not probe deeper than six inches.

Metal detecting is an at risk hobby or sport and BREC is not responsible for any injuries resulting from this activity.

Please help keep the hobby of metal detecting an allowable use in the parks by respecting the rules and caring for the parks. These rules are subject to change.

If you encounter any suspicious activity or abusive behavior in a BREC park please locate the Park Attendant if at a Community Park or call: 225-252-2620.

If you have an emergency requiring the police, emergency calls should be made first to East Baton Rouge Parish Emergency, dial 911. If you would like to speak with the police department and its not an emergency, then please dial 225-389-3831.

I've been hunting before at the older inner city parks of Baton Rouge. Trust me, the last thing you have to worry about is the police. There's bigger issues at those parks than if a cop sees you detecting.

"The probing and digging for items is limited to the use of an ice pick, screwdriver or small knife.?????????? Nah, I'm good bro...

"The probing and digging for items is limited to the use of an ice pick, screwdriver or small knife.?????????? Nah, I'm good bro...

That was another one of those "What?" moments.
A list of three approved items that are considered weapons by many urban police departments but not a small purpose made digging tool that is harmless because of blade shape.

That was another one of those "What?" moments.
A list of three approved items that are considered weapons by many urban police departments but not a small purpose made digging tool that is harmless because of blade shape.

True, but the lesche does look kinda like a weapon, thats why when I am holding while detecting I have it up against my forearm and between my hip as a means of hiding it, unless someone shady is walking by then I proudly display it......... :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom