War nickels & Rosies # 57

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
56 was the number I looking for to fulfill the goal of doubling last year's silver total of 28. I was able to accomplish that on my last outing. #56 was a 43P war nickel and a last year Rosie was the go ahead at # 57.
October was not too productive for silver, only got out a half dozen times and just 2 Mercs to show for it. First was early in the month at an old park. A 45 Merc, a couple wheaties and a little clad. The next was almost the end of the month. A return to a yard permission that gave up a 35 Merc, a very nice 29 wheat, a teens wheatie spill and a 44. Funny thing, the next hunt also gave up a clean 29 wheat also. Here in Pa. most of the older wheats are pretty toasty when they come out of the ground so its a treat to dig a clean one. One cool find in Oct. was a, what I thought was a medal from the Franklin Institute to Edwin Ruud in 1905 for the automatic water heater but then realized it was an endorsement they must have put on their products back in the day.
The coinstar also gave up a 43S war nickel and a parking token from Cincinnati, O.

Nov. 2 election day, a little elbow rubbing I received two permissions, one a 1935 house and the second a church and the adjoining school. The next day I finally met the owner of a vacant 20s mansion, after a brief conversation I got the ok for my third permission.

Started the 35 house, nada, disappointment, a buck or so in clad, not even a wheat. The next day I started on the backside of the school that abutted the 35s house's yard. A bank token, couple bucks in clad a couple random wheats and a 13 wheat spill, about 18 in in diameter, just off the edge of the sidewalk that was on the back wall of the school, no other coins, just wheats, a couple from the 40s but mostly from the 50s. I started thinkin, this ain't a spill, the little hoodlums were back here pitching pennies and the one that rolled back into the grass they didn't bother to pick up. Another hunt in that area gave up another 3 bucks or so in clad and a very nice gold plated St.Therese medal. No silver, school was built in the 40s, church in the 50s, wheres the silver ? After the house and two hunts at the school I wasn't feeling too lucky. I decided to try the 20s mansion.
The front yard was practically a bust, a sterling ring and two decent 1917 wheats and Pittsburgh Railways token, only a couple clad coins.

The next trip I hit the back yard, a bunch of wheats and nickels from the 40s &50s. Definitely a clothes line stretch from the way the coins were strung out.
One a 44 war nickel and a 52 Rosie, #s 54 & 55 was the only silver. A cool 5c token and a Power Rangers fob and a 25c play coin was also dug in the backyard.

Back to the school/church. A couple more hunts there gave up a sterling ring, a couple wheats, a boy scout oath coin/token and a bunch of clad. One trip I dug over 8 bucks in clad, my highest this year. So far I am up over twenty buck from the place. But wheres the silver ?

My last hunt, I stopped to hit a small curbstrip on the way back to the church. Glad I did, I dug a shallow 1906 Ihp and a deep wheat, a little clad. On to the church, more clad, then a wheat, next a 12-13 was a 43P war nickel, the # I had been looking for and later a 26-27 was 64 Rosie. Although happy with what I have found I did have higher expectations for older silver, particularly at the 20s place. I have more ground to cover at the church so maybe it will give up some good oldies.

Also included some pics of cool or interesting finds from other hunts, Sorry for the long read and thanks for looking in. Mark

Attachments

• redo62.jpg
    redo62.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 238
  • redo59.jpg
    redo59.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 236
  • redo47.jpg
    redo47.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 233
  • redo52.jpg
    redo52.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 233
  • redo53.jpg
    redo53.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 234
  • redo55.jpg
    redo55.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 230
  • redo54.jpg
    redo54.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 230
  • redo51.jpg
    redo51.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 237
  • redo50.jpg
    redo50.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 227
  • redo48.jpg
    redo48.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 230
  • redo60.jpg
    redo60.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 235
  • redo61.jpg
    redo61.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 227
  • redo56.jpg
    redo56.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 221
  • redo58.jpg
    redo58.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 224
Great write-up Mark! Congrats on #57. I didn't set any goals this year, trying to keep my silver number down - so I can beat it next year. :laughing:

Did you really censor that picture of the "Heads I Win" token?? :laughing:

Great write-up Mark! Congrats on #57. I didn't set any goals this year, trying to keep my silver number down - so I can beat it next year. :laughing:

Did you really censor that picture of the "Heads I Win" token?? :laughing:

CallMeGrey, thank you. I'm sure your silver #s will rise next year. And yes I did censor the pics of the token. This is a family friendly forum and lest we forget the mods will quickly remind us. Funny thing, I first saw one of those posted, I thought cool, I would like to find of those, my first one came from a church yard. Oh well. Good luck, Mark

I think I might have said this before, I like your signature, we share the same sentiment. My screensaver is similar. The train has left the station and the sun is going down

Attachments

• redo64.jpg
    redo64.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Thanks for the great post Mark. Nice job on obtaining the permissions. You've done a good job of ferreting out the treasure, but seems likely you have more to be found. There has to be some big silver waiting for you somewhere. Hope you see some mild weather so you can continue to get out.

Congrats on a very respectable silver count thus far! Your last few hunts have been like mine “a silver here and a silver there”. Lol! It all adds up though! I’m 10 behind you. I got a 42 merc today for #47.

Mark, now that's what I call some mighty fine hunts. For a second, I thought I was looking at an old Sears catalog lol. You have such a wide verity of finds! Well done job finding each and every one of those worthy finds. But the bottom line is, congrats on #57 and still going strong!

Congrats Mark!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boz, thanks. Hopefully you and your father will end the year with some awesome finds. Good luck, Mark

Congrats on all those silvers and relics!

Thank you sir, good luck to you. Mark

Thanks for the great post Mark. Nice job on obtaining the permissions. You've done a good job of ferreting out the treasure, but seems likely you have more to be found. There has to be some big silver waiting for you somewhere. Hope you see some mild weather so you can continue to get out.

RoS, thank you and yes good weather is a major factor here in the east. As far as permission go you and Paul do quite well. He has some Pa. connections and maybe one day I'll run into him or you both. I have been eyeballing a couple places I hope to get permission at to finish out the year. Enjoy the holidays. Mark

Congrats Mark. A lot of nice finds there.

Thank Charlie, you ever notice, the grass is always greener, the other guys pile always looks bigger or nicer. I don't know, maybe I expect too much. Thanks again, good luck, Mark

Congrats on a very respectable silver count thus far! Your last few hunts have been like mine “a silver here and a silver there”. Lol! It all adds up though! I’m 10 behind you. I got a 42 merc today for #47.

Thanks, Yes a little here and so on. Attaboy to you Toad press on. We still have 5 weeks. I'm at the mercy of mother nature right now but you should be good. I expect to see an impressive end of the year rap up. Good luck and good hunting. Mark

Mark, now that's what I call some mighty fine hunts. For a second, I thought I was looking at an old Sears catalog lol. You have such a wide verity of finds! Well done job finding each and every one of those worthy finds. But the bottom line is, congrats on #57 and still going strong!

John, coming from you that is a compliment, thank you. I hope for the both of us, the best find of the year is yet to come. But if you top that beautiful half dime we will have to put you in a corner and give you a time out. Give some of those other east Pa. fellows a chance.:lol: Here's to good weather and good hunting. Enjoy the holidays. Mark

Hunting the silvers sure produces a lot of fun biproduct treasures...especially if you aren't just cherrypicking silver signals only. Congrats on your goal-reaching war nickel. Now that you've surpassed that, it's no-pressure sky's-the-limit hunting from here on out! Good post Mark. You're having a great year; all-told!

Hunting the silvers sure produces a lot of fun biproduct treasures...especially if you aren't just cherrypicking silver signals only. Congrats on your goal-reaching war nickel. Now that you've surpassed that, it's no-pressure sky's-the-limit hunting from here on out! Good post Mark. You're having a great year; all-told!

Foragist thank you. I enjoy finding all the goodies that come with the coinshooting. As far as goals fty, a couple less important ones I would like to double my wheat and clad count. Possible but not likely. Silver, I will be happy to hit 60 but in the back of my mind 75 is a better #. Good luck to you and enjoy the holidays. Mark

Back
Top Bottom