• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Eastern Montana bottle dig!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Had a chance to zip over to Eastern Montana for a couple of days, managed to get permission to metal detect one yard. Noticed that the house looked to be late 1890's, and I had my bottle probe and some tools with me. I got the OK from the homeowners, and began to probe the open area near the back corner and soon hit a privy pit.

Lots of bottles in this outhouse, mostly unembossed whiskey flasks, some whiskey cylinders and 4-5 Schmidt Brewing ST PAUL MINN quart beer bottles. Whoever lived there 120 years ago like the hootch! Also pulled a few embossed drug store bottles, some food extracts, and some plain chemical bottles. All bottles were handblown, and I figured the pit dated from about 1898-1905. Gave about 50 old bottles to the homeowners, they were very happy! A fun dig for sure!

Attachments

• miles.jpg
    miles.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 309
  • miles1.jpg
    miles1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 298
  • miles2.jpg
    miles2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Literally "poking around", you found a good bottle hole! I really should learn how to do that. I know how much fun that can be when the bottles are coming out in numbers like that. That MT Druggist bottle has awesome artwork!

Nice looking bottles, what's the bottle sitting in the dirt?

Thank you! The bottle standing upright in the dirt was an unembossed early quart milk bottle.

Wow that's a lot of old bottles congrats!

Thank you kaufenanger!

Really like that one in the last pic! Did you call before you dug :lol:

Looks like a lot of fun!

Thank you GroundSweeper! Yeah, that big Montana druggist bottle was my favorite find in the dig. And I did take a Underground Utility Locator certification course, so I have a good idea what is under terra firma... but... but... sometime the urge to get those bottles out NOW takes preference!:lol:

Literally "poking around", you found a good bottle hole! I really should learn how to do that. I know how much fun that can be when the bottles are coming out in numbers like that. That MT Druggist bottle has awesome artwork!

Thank you Foragist! Yep, that big drug bottle is my favorite find, and a nice 16 ounce size to boot!

That big druggist bottle is the BOMB! Nice embossing and that giant rare size.:thumbsup:

thanks GlassHopper! Yeah, nice size 16 oz Montana druggie!

Nice digs, love those whiskey flasks.

Thanks amc rulz! There were shoofly, amber, Olympian, square, bulge neck, and other styles of flasks a nice variety. Too bad none of them were embossed!

Back
Top Bottom