Using city directories

Lavishlogos

I figured I'd pass on a useful research tool I came across. Using a city directory to find old locations in your town. The city directories offer a huge amount of information. From my town, it lists important areas. I can open it and see the locations of churches, schools, halls, etc. It also lists the location of city parks.

I was able to find on Ancestory.com they have scans of many city directories to view. For my town, the directories are from 1891 to 1935. I am able to see where parks where located 100 years ago. I then can find which ones do not exist anymore, and what is there now. I can also find where old grocery stores and taverns where located.

Another nice feature, that didn't arrive in my cities directory until 1930 , is that it lists each street, each address for each street and the occupant and their profession. I can then look at an old block where the house no longer exist and figure out if there where any stores or apartment building that where there.

It's been very helpful. I figured I'd pass it on!

Thanks for the info, can always use another way to do my research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks lavishlogos. In a library, some city directories (physical ones in a book versus an online digitized one) still have a folded up copy of the city map from that year.

Back
Top Bottom