PRO/SCOOP Sand Water Scoop Handle Mod

Sven

Elite Member
This is one of the best scoops going. Only one drawback it uses a straight handle at 90 degrees when attached to the scoop, like many other scoops too. The straight handle does not allow you to reach far enough at arm's length to put the scoop tip at a more vertical dig angle. Thus you can't push the scoop deep enough into the sand. You will also find that your wrists will hurt after while when drawing your hand closer to the scoop for content examination. Your wrist are not at a natural angle.

So I dug back into the info I had on one of my best scoops I ever bought back about 10 years ago off ebay. It was built like a tank of stainless steel with an aluminum handle. The handle was bent in such an angle that it made it very easy to dig and scoop. The orig maker from what I see sold his idea to one of the big detector sales websites or they copied it. What I did is bought a piece of 6061/T6 aluminum tubing 1 1/2" .OD, .125 wall .ID. Then took it to my local metal fab companies and hand it custom bent to fit me exactly. The round tubing fits perfect, tight. Does have to be flattened just a touch to fit in the square hole on the mounting bracket. The 1 1/2" round tubing is perfect if you have larger hands. The aluminum is slightly heavier than the wood handle.

Results were astonishing, this scoop works 100x better than it did. You can slide your hand down to the scoop easily if needed.
I do have another mod for this scoop just haven't made it yet. There is a portion on the scoop with holes where a small handle can be bolted onto and the attached to the scoop at an angle.

For those interested in making their own handle, I have drawn up the measurements that works for me.
Just make sure the total length of the handle is no longer than than the distance from the ground to your armpit.
This will allow the scoop handle to fall behind you, between your arm and body, as you slide your hand down the handle towards the scoop.

You can download the full size .jpg picture file from:
Scoop Mod File

Attachments

• revcc.jpg
    revcc.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,293
  • PROSCOOPmod.jpg
    PROSCOOPmod.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,343
  • for forum.jpg
    for forum.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,269