A new method (for me) before and after pics

midwest

Elite Member
I found this large cent in the front yard of an 1866 home. I've had it for a few months now and was really scared to clean it. I figured since its not a key date or worth a whole lot I would try a new method I've been using. I used an sos pad with soap in the pad (pad comes with soap already in it). I scrubbed under running water, and it came out really nice! HH

Attachments

• IMAG0293.jpg
    IMAG0293.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,089
  • IMAG0516.jpg
    IMAG0516.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,127
that is amazing, i would of thought an sos pad would of distroyed it....or atleast scratched it

Nice looking coin.....that SOS really worked good on that one....HH

and someone here thought I was crazy using a sos pad. thought i would scratch the coin . if you gentle use it, it works.

I am going to purchase a box today and try it on a few coins. Thanks for the tip!!!

I've only used on copper and nickel, and remember to get the kind with the soap in it. Scrub under running water, and only on coins that have no value. GL

My large cent isnt a key date but its made into a pie crimper. Do you think it would lose any potential value if i cleaned it? Ive been scared to.

My large cent isnt a key date but its made into a pie crimper. Do you think it would lose any potential value if i cleaned it? Ive been scared to.

I don't understand, "made into a pie crimper"? Sorry, I don't even know what a pie crimper is, lol. Post a pic.

I have been using SOS pads on large coppers, old nickels, tokens etc....for a LONG time. I laugh when people say they are scared because they fear it will harm the item. Did you see my cleaning your finds section on my site?
http://goes4ever.mymdforum.com/clean-finds/

works awesome on tokens too, check out the before and after on this 1909 token I dug with lots of corrosion, found in a farm field

and I use wax on all coppers, tokens, indians, old nickels etc.....

Attachments

• DSC01005.JPG
    DSC01005.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 958
  • DSC01442.JPG
    DSC01442.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 954
No I didn't, but I just checked it out. Very cool, I like your setup!

Have you ever used copper polish? I haven't yet, but was thinking how it could bring the copper shine back?

How about using the SOS pad on silver coin ? Found our first merc but it somewhat in bad shape (green patina on it)

How about using the SOS pad on silver coin ? Found our first merc but it somewhat in bad shape (green patina on it)

I would not do that. Silver is very soft and will damage if you use an SOS pad. Our soils is good here and all I have to do is run my silver under water and its clean. There are other threads for cleaning silver, just search this forum.

Never ever use a SOS pad on silver, it will tear it up bad!!!! to remove the green on silver you can try either electrolysis or baking soda and water.

Back
Top Bottom