What the heck kinda quarter is this

relichead

Banned
Found in cash register from a stor..it rings up close to an actual clad quarter..i cant see it being a game piece as its very close to actual real detail of real quarter..and i cant imagine counterfeiting quarters are hardly worth it..but has anone seen anything like this..

:?:
20190214_143054.jpg

20190214_143129.jpg

20190214_143156.jpg

Back side

i'm thinking it was dipped in some type of acid

Very close tomactual 1983 quarter

But in between the 2 thin sides of coin, the stuff in between the layers looks like its black...kinda like a hard epoxy or something..i just cant imagine what the story behind this coin can possible be....STUMPED..AND SEE NO USE FOR A FAKE QUARTER..:?:

Being in salt water for years does that and eats the copper out of the edges like that too. Looks like a detector found it, tumbled it, and spent it.

Being in salt water for years does that and eats the copper out of the edges like that too. Looks like a detector found it, tumbled it, and spent it.

Yeah, we've seen a couple on the forums with the inner layer eaten away due to salt water or some other kind of corrosive. This one really got it bad with the face all cracked up like that. I wouldn't even try to spend that one.

Hydrochloric acid maybe..now I'm going to soak one and see what happens..

Mister Wizards!! Please post the results!

Got a beat up 1983 Washington taking a bath in hydrochloric acid right now.. I'll check it about every 12 hours ...let's see what happens.. I think it's going to eat the copper first..

Here is an idea, someone glued it to the top of their car battery to act as a sacrificial metal, The quarter corrodes before the battery cables and thus the cables are not eaten away. You can do it with old copper pennies or clad which is zinc

Here is an idea, someone glued it to the top of their car battery to act as a sacrificial metal, The quarter corrodes before the battery cables and thus the cables are not eaten away. You can do it with old copper pennies or clad which is zinc

Interesting... I was wondering if maybe it had been in a fire.. then into an acidic environment..

But why the black stuff in between the layers of this matal..like black glue..doesnt seem to be a metal esp. Being black

I have seen clad coins get black spots .. I left a clad half dollar in CLR once just out of curiosity and it did actually get some black or very dark gray marks on it..then I let it air dry and it developed some green too.. I can't explain it..it ate some of the copper from the edges but it didn't turn the copper black..the black was on the obverse and reverse..

Sounds crazy but there are actually counterfeit quarters out there..not a key date either..if I recall it had a goofy looking eagle on the reverse.. I think it was an 82..or maybe an 83

Back
Top Bottom