Target depth is wrong

steven215

Forum Supporter
I have an AT Pro and recently put a NEL Tornado on it. I love the coil and the targets I'm finding are deeper for sure but I'm having a problem with the depth reading. With the stock coil I get fairly accurate depth readings at least when I look at them.. With the new coil on I'm probably watching more to see how deep they are showing up. I've noticed that now there can be up to a four inch difference in what the machine shows for depth and how deep the target actually is? Any thoughts?

Happens to most 3rd party coils. Your AT Pro was set for the factory coil.

Really all you can do is guestimate how far off your NEL is and adjust accordingly.

After a bit of time you will be able to guess pretty close how deep a target is by sound and not even pay much attention to the meter. Raising the coil on a target will help you once you understand your AT Pro a little better, but you'll have to dig a few targets before you develop that skill.

Steven, I usually don't pay much attention to target depth. If its not a coin then the depth reading will be wrong anyway. I have a Bullseye TRX pinpointer that will go 5" deep & thats all about I need to find a target. I concentrate more on sound now that readings

Happens to most 3rd party coils. Your AT Pro was set for the factory coil.

Really all you can do is guestimate how far off your NEL is and adjust accordingly.

After a bit of time you will be able to guess pretty close how deep a target is by sound and not even pay much attention to the meter. Raising the coil on a target will help you once you understand your AT Pro a little better, but you'll have to dig a few targets before you develop that skill.

Exactly....

With how nose heavy the AT apparently is with the stock coil I'd hate to see what it's like with an even larger one! But if it's finding stuff,hey...can't argue with that!

I only have a couple hours on my Nel Thunder but have noticed the same , also
find I'm off on pinpointing . I'm a little surprised that did not notice this on the vid's I have watched . GL ,,,,.HH

I'm also having a little difficulty pinpointing with the NEL Storm on my ATP. Seems like sometimes the target is 2" behind or in front of where I thought it was. I've tried Cris crossing with no improvement. I guess I'm still on the learning curve.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

With most coils you can detune the coil by moving it slightly to the side and pressing the pinpoint button again. This narrows down the target and makes it easier to find. You can do it with hand held pinpointers too.

I retune with my PP all the time , first I have heard about doing it with a coil .
Have to give it a try , thanks for the tip Silver 45. ,,,,,HH

Back
Top Bottom