etrac target id

zeemang

Forum Supporter
First let me say I am very green with my etrac, maybe only have like 20 hours hunting with it. I was very used to my x terra 705 and got used to listening to the tones, in particular the high tones.
I find myself doing the same with the etrac, but what i am amazed with is how off the target id will show as you go over a target before uncovering it a little bit. Granted my soil is extremely mineralized but going by tone i will hit something that shows solid 1 42 and then when i take off some soil and get closer to it it will drop to a 12 42 where i expected it to hit. These are very specific targets but i guess i am just surprised it doesn't hit 12 42 from the get go. Hunting by tone seems to be the way to go...
Anyone else experience this? Advice?

Mine drove me nuts when I first got it.. even wished I had bought something else for a while.. I did 2 things that helped me immensely..#1 I loaded the trashy park program and #2..I quit looking at the numbers... keep at it.. you'll love it later on. It's not like your other machines

I think it's an awesome machine and is great at sniffing out some deeper stuff than my x terra would maybe not hit on as consistently. It's ability to see past rusty bottlecaps and hit the goodies is far superior to the x terra. It has already paid itself off twice! I am mainly hunting tones and solid targets, I am just surprised it does not id at depth better...

One greenie to another.

I think the best advice I have found besides reading Andy S. book was a guy on youtube. He said swing low and slow, counting 3 seconds each swing while coil is actually on the grass. I think it gives the machine time to pull out targets. Another problem you may have is Deep On setting. Turn it off as it grabs the best target. Coin programs are great, and besides screw caps, Im not digging too much junk. We are relic heavy here, if you like wire and pieces of junk lol. I also went to my smallest coil, little heavier than stock, but junk usually pin points off the hole too for me. So if pin pointer says 2 inches to the right of left, its junk.

First let me say I am very green with my etrac, maybe only have like 20 hours hunting with it. I was very used to my x terra 705 and got used to listening to the tones, in particular the high tones.
I find myself doing the same with the etrac, but what i am amazed with is how off the target id will show as you go over a target before uncovering it a little bit. Granted my soil is extremely mineralized but going by tone i will hit something that shows solid 1 42 and then when i take off some soil and get closer to it it will drop to a 12 42 where i expected it to hit. These are very specific targets but i guess i am just surprised it doesn't hit 12 42 from the get go. Hunting by tone seems to be the way to go...
Anyone else experience this? Advice?

A good observation by you.

Etrac can strike deep,,is a poorer detector compared to some more typical Vlf detectors when the ground is disturbed I.e, plowed, disced, moved, etc.

Now if you don't have a good pinpointer,, you need to get one.

Why???

After you locate your target,,and start digging,,Etrac may or may not be able to detect the target,,,and if say a 9" deep target or deeper,,more likely it won't detect.

Pinpoint function can help here,,but remember pinpoint function will signal on all metals.

As far as the ferrous number,,,my advice when you are detecting,,,pay it little attention as long as it is reading between 01-27,, you see it in this area all is well,,along with a worthy conductive number.

Now here's the catch,,what if you get a tone,,and you see a 29-45 like what could happen on a deeper dime,,even partially mask???

Remember here we are assuming you have this area disc out.
So what to do???

This target could be a nonferrous target and it could be a ferrous target.
When you see this,,try the following,,,open up your quick mask screen,,,and try and do controlled sweeps over this spot on the ground,,pay attention to cursor position,,and watch to see if the cursor jumps up out of this area even for a short time while sweeping.
Pivot on target,,and repeat.
If either direction when sweeping if the cursor jumps up on the screen out of the 28-35 area,,,dig the target. Now pinpoint might reveal a smaller target,,and this could be a coin and nail coloacted. Still gotta dig.

If you pinpoint,,,and the target seems huge,,you might consider raising your coil off the ground while sweeping and also when using pinpoint,,,bigger targets like cans and bigger iron can be exposed.

Since you seem new to Etrac,,some additional advice,,,you will see a variability setting on your detector.
This setting is key,,,to allow a person to hone in on the higher conductors like coins. When you raise this setting,,the span of tone will be expanded,,making things like silver coins and copper sound sweeter(higher) tone sounding.
I recommend a setting of 29 or 30 here.

Also,,gain setting,,this will allow shallower targets to be identified moreso by strength of tone,,,my advice since Etrac has such a good ID system,,Max the gain and leave it there.

There is a pitch setting,,,this will work in conjunction with variability setting,,experiment with it and variability at 29 or 30 and set to where you like it.
A clad dime can be used to listen,,a silver one better or even a silver ring.

Etrac is in my opinion a hall of famer detector.

Some coins though won't be textbook sounding or looking on the screen.

I hope this info helps you,,and maybe others.

Mine drove me nuts when I first got it.. even wished I had bought something else for a while.. I did 2 things that helped me immensely..#1 I loaded the trashy park program and #2..I quit looking at the numbers... keep at it.. you'll love it later on. It's not like your other machines
Mark here, just got an etrac myself, I am struggling a little
myself. Do you hunt strictly in trashy park mode and if so what targets would you be missing in that mode. Thanks Mark

Depends on the dirt and area.

myself. Do you hunt strictly in trashy park mode and if so what targets would you be missing in that mode. Thanks Mark

New myself but learning as I go out. Each hunt I can tweak another setting. The nice thing is you dont have to save settings. While trashy park program is great, those other settings will make or break you.

I have local hands who help a lot. I also have the Andy S. book. You paid a mint for the detector, now get the book. The book is what I read when I want to goto sleep lol. But it has a lot of info your gonna wanna know.

You tube videos are very informative. If your not digging 14 inches with your etrac then you need to tweak your settings. But those deep targets are not always ideal in the digital readout.

Learn to use manual sensitivity also. There is some much info out there right now on the Etrac you most likely could just do a google search on a specific question.

Im glad there is new folks to kick around a conversation as the etrac has been out awhile now.

I run the TP all the time.. I don't know what I may be missing but many times I think my machine is lying to me and I go ahead a dig that broken signal or faint signal and so far it's always turned out to be scrap.. currently im happy with it..my hunt time is limited and I don't want to spend it digging junk..

I agree about most of this...But ..I would run Gain at 19..To tell deep targets..to much looking at screen with Gain up all the way.

A good observation by you.

Etrac can strike deep,,is a poorer detector compared to some more typical Vlf detectors when the ground is disturbed I.e, plowed, disced, moved, etc.

Now if you don't have a good pinpointer,, you need to get one.

Why???

After you locate your target,,and start digging,,Etrac may or may not be able to detect the target,,,and if say a 9" deep target or deeper,,more likely it won't detect.

Pinpoint function can help here,,but remember pinpoint function will signal on all metals.

As far as the ferrous number,,,my advice when you are detecting,,,pay it little attention as long as it is reading between 01-27,, you see it in this area all is well,,along with a worthy conductive number.

Now here's the catch,,what if you get a tone,,and you see a 29-45 like what could happen on a deeper dime,,even partially mask???

Remember here we are assuming you have this area disc out.
So what to do???

This target could be a nonferrous target and it could be a ferrous target.
When you see this,,try the following,,,open up your quick mask screen,,,and try and do controlled sweeps over this spot on the ground,,pay attention to cursor position,,and watch to see if the cursor jumps up out of this area even for a short time while sweeping.
Pivot on target,,and repeat.
If either direction when sweeping if the cursor jumps up on the screen out of the 28-35 area,,,dig the target. Now pinpoint might reveal a smaller target,,and this could be a coin and nail coloacted. Still gotta dig.

If you pinpoint,,,and the target seems huge,,you might consider raising your coil off the ground while sweeping and also when using pinpoint,,,bigger targets like cans and bigger iron can be exposed.

Since you seem new to Etrac,,some additional advice,,,you will see a variability setting on your detector.
This setting is key,,,to allow a person to hone in on the higher conductors like coins. When you raise this setting,,the span of tone will be expanded,,making things like silver coins and copper sound sweeter(higher) tone sounding.
I recommend a setting of 29 or 30 here.

Also,,gain setting,,this will allow shallower targets to be identified moreso by strength of tone,,,my advice since Etrac has such a good ID system,,Max the gain and leave it there.

There is a pitch setting,,,this will work in conjunction with variability setting,,experiment with it and variability at 29 or 30 and set to where you like it.
A clad dime can be used to listen,,a silver one better or even a silver ring.

Etrac is in my opinion a hall of famer detector.

Some coins though won't be textbook sounding or looking on the screen.

I hope this info helps you,,and maybe others.

This is backwards, I agree with MSCARD1 100%, last year I run the gain at 29 as touted my many, this made everything tougher for me. 2 big problems with this setting is everything sounded like it was 1" down and most every piece of iron sounded like a coin.

I've only had the Etrac 1 year, but hunted hard with it exclusively. I fought the falsing thing, and had read Andy's book 2-3 times.

The gain essentially amplifies the sound for the deeper targets. IDXmonster told me to turn it down and reminded me what it did. A 30 setting will make a 8 inch dime sound like it's on the surface. A 19 or 20 seating will make it sound like it's farther from the coil, helping you notice deeper coins without checking every 1" piece of clad, and I keeps your eyes off the screen.

The second thing the high 29-30 setting seems to do is make the iron stand out and false more. I really struggled with the falsing iron and still had over 200 hours on it last year. I ran at auto +3 and the falsing really made me wonder if I should sell it. Lowering the gain down to 19 I can bump the sensitivity up to 24-25 with no unbearable issues.

So IDXMONSTER's suggestions made this machine a better tool for me. Also I reread Andy's book and only one of the guys he had quoted had indicated this at all, I was amazed.

So do what you wish OP, but remember to try the lower setting. And by the way thanks again Kevin.

Last edited:
i will hit something that shows solid 1 42 and then when i take off some soil and get closer to it it will drop to a 12 42

Don't worry so much about it going from a 1-42 to a 12-42... as long as your conductive number stays consistent... dig it!

I run the TP all the time.. I don't know what I may be missing but many times I think my machine is lying to me and I go ahead a dig that broken signal or faint signal and so far it's always turned out to be scrap.. currently im happy with it..my hunt time is limited and I don't want to spend it digging junk..

I agree I've also opened the Trashy Park open down as low as 27 to avoid missing combined signal targets, but when I hit the QM it seems to always drops down to a he 28-31 line consistently. Never dug silver in that range, so it appears that opening it up just wastes my time.

This is backwards, I agree with MSCARD1 100%, last year I run the gain at 29 as touted my many, this made everything tougher for me. 2 big problems with this setting is everything sounded like it was 1" down and most every piece of iron sounded like a coin.

I've only had the Etrac 1 year, but hunted hard with it exclusively. I fought the falsing thing, and had read Andy's book 2-3 times.

The gain essentially amplifies the sound for the deeper targets. IDXmonster told me to turn it down and reminded me what it did. A 30 setting will make a 8 inch dime sound like it's on the surface. A 19 or 20 seating will make it sound like it's farther from the coil, helping you notice deeper coins without checking every 1" piece of clad, and I keeps your eyes off the screen.

The second thing the high 29-30 setting seems to do is make the iron stand out and false more. I really struggled with the falsing iron and still had over 200 hours on it last year. I ran at auto +3 and the falsing really made me wonder if I should sell it. Lowering the gain down to 19 I can bump the sensitivity up to 24-25 with no unbearable issues.

So IDXMONSTER's suggestions made this machine a better tool for me. Also I reread Andy's book and only one of the guys he had quoted had indicated this at all, I was amazed.

So do what you wish OP, but remember to try the lower setting. And by the way thanks again Kevin.

Anything that helps Craig,it's yours!:grin: I won't find EVERY old coin doing what I do but its better in MY mind to let the machine do exactly what it was designed to do. Run stable,ID accurately. If one chooses to dispute what the machine is saying,then that's up to them. Coin counts don't lie.

I never experienced these problems with high gain.
Also,,if variability it set to 30,,, a lot of targets may sound off,,but just by the tone provided,,I'm walking,,,or if I hear that sweet high,,I'm digging.

Modulation on a detector,,using it a person will have a bigger chance of missing some deeper targets.

Z

I loved the E-tracs i had, they made improvements to the FE line on the CTX3030s which i went to moving to the beach, the way i hunted was screen wide open adjusting manual sensitivity, most of the time the CO number's are wright on , unless they were jumpy, and set your tones to pitch hold , as the silver squeal stands out, in high mineral soil however you might want to try auto +2 or 3, as i never hunted in that kind of soil, also i found i didn't hunt with the stock coils, it was the sef 8x6 , 10x12, and ultimate, i also found the smoothest coil in the bigger coils on the etrac that stayed on most of the time was the 10x12 sef, happy hunting , Earl

Back
Top Bottom