Farmland.... and 1879 plat records

tellurien

Okay... so I am a little excited to get my detector tomorrow (earlier than expected)..... been doing research to find areas to hunt.....

So tonight I came across 1879 plat records for my county I live in. I am out in the country and figured there will be some early 1900 houses I can scout out and get permissions, but this one threw me for a loop. I can get a general idea of houses that were established mid 1800's and up to these 1879 plats. Looking at Google Earth and local country GIS source, I will be able to find landowners.

Here is my big question.... a lot of these are big fields and the owners don't really live on them, just cultivate for hay or cows and such, so how hard do I need to try to catch them?

Thanks.

your county courthouse will have a current platte map book, get one, compare it to the old one, find the current landowners on the new one, find them and ask away, ask around everyone knows everyone in farming country!

Your county may have an aerial GIS system online that you can use to locate ownership. Ours is "Beacon". Its what the tax assessors use to keep track of changes to properties so they know to tax you for that new shed or swimming pool, etc.

Back
Top Bottom