How would you ask at dect at your church

MattLock

Elite Member
I belong to a church that is turning 150 years old this year now seems to be the perfect time to ask the head priest if I can dect around the old Convant it's only used for storge now. Too bad another spot I wanted to search thre got with new plants and a pathway. When and how should I ask him if it's ok.
My goal is to say if I find any items connecting to the parish I would donate them to our parish museum.

Well..if you are a member in good standing, long time collection plate contributor, good relationship with the clergyman, I'd not actually 'ask' per se, I'd sort of gently but firmly notify...."Ill be hunting here for a while"....essentially, you paid your 'trespassing' fee...GL and HH!
Heaven forbid some Baptist or Saturday Adventist or an Atheist rolls on in there and snipes all the goods!:laughing: Somebody will be hunting that place, if not already, so get with it!
Mud

Well..if you are a member in good standing, long time collection plate contributor, good relationship with the clergyman, I'd not actually 'ask' per se, I'd sort of gently but firmly notify...."Ill be hunting here for a while"....essentially, you paid your 'trespassing' fee...GL and HH!
Heaven forbid some Baptist or Saturday Adventist or an Atheist rolls on in there and snipes all the goods!:laughing: Somebody will be hunting that place, if not already, so get with it!
Mud

Do do think before someone asks premsion it could be night hawked

I asked and was given one word simple answer of, "no".
Even though I offered to give back half of my findings

Not necessarily nighthawked, but for sure hunted! The local parish/school/convent/church configuration I grew up at had a maintenance man who also lived on site... I remember seeing the very first detector used by him back in the late 60's...

I would guess in the last 20yrs, your place was given a good and proper sweeping by somebody..could have been a deacon, altar boy, heck, just about anybody...permission granted or not...especially if its wide open, had a school there and well known...

You will find out very quickly if it has been hunted and how recently..its still worth a go, lots of stuff gets missed...Pastor Bob posted a vid back in late February of an 1800's Barber Half he found at an old church he has hunted lots of times...
Mud

Around the convent is a small lawn are on 3 sides the side facing the church is more open give or take the all plants and flowers and the sidewalks

Hey Matloc, The Town I live in is having a big anniversary year and I have been hitting people up saying I'd hoped to gather finds worthy of an anniversary display or offer to give to the local historic society. it's all in how you spin it.

Just ask... Dont mention the words "dig, coins, valuables, or holes"

Something along the lines that you enjoy the HOBBY of metal detecting and that you always fill your PLUGS after you RETRIEVE the targets and that you always remove any SHARP objects that may injure a childs hands or feet. Likewise OFFER to return any SIGNIFICANT finds that can be tied to the old church.

Lastly HAVE FUN!

This is right

#9 Report Post Old 03-14-16, 12:38 PM
Nectar Collector

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something along the lines that you enjoy the HOBBY of metal detecting and that you always fill your PLUGS after you RETRIEVE the targets and that you always remove any SHARP objects that may injure a childs hands or feet. Likewise OFFER to return any SIGNIFICANT finds that can be tied to the old church.

Lastly HAVE FUN!

GARRETT AT PRO - MINELAB ETRAC - FISHER F44

AMEN :)
BGHAWK

Lastly HAVE FUN!

What words should you never say and use instead when asking for premsion in general

Hey! Your post sparked a memory today...Back about 5yrs, I remember reading a post about a guy who hunted behind a old convent...

The details are a little fuzzy, but it seems it was being demolished for future construction..anywhoo, he found like 20 rosaries! All in a small area, buried out in the garden for some reason, so the mystery sort of stuck in my head....maybe old nuns rosaries are put back there after they die in some sort of little ceremony or a place to go pray?? I dont know...something to consider should you get the chance...:?:
Mud

Hey! Your post sparked a memory today...Back about 5yrs, I remember reading a post about a guy who hunted behind a old convent...

The details are a little fuzzy, but it seems it was being demolished for future construction..anywhoo, he found like 20 rosaries! All in a small area, buried out in the garden for some reason, so the mystery sort of stuck in my head....maybe old nuns rosaries are put back there after they die in some sort of little ceremony or a place to go pray?? I dont know...something to consider should you get the

I thought the nuns would not have much money to drop

You are right..no pockets or money, Vow of Poverty thing...yet, maybe some small gold/silver medallions....you just never know...
Mud

I would say you want to contribute to the anniversary celebration by searching the grounds to find relics of the churches history, and that you would like to make a small display of found objects that pertain to the church to donate to the parrish museum. a simple picture frame with cotton lining to hold said artifacts would cost only a couple dollars.

Please, please, please, here's a donation !! Actually a polite conversation might just do it .
HH

"The meek shall never inherit permission." Ask fast, cuz others have surely already asked and/or hunted. The problem today is that our hobby has a group who are bold to the point they walk a thin line on hunting spots they say, "Nobody cares", or "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission", so us meeksters will always be way back in the permission-line

"The meek shall never inherit permission." Ask fast, cuz others have surely already asked and/or hunted. The problem today is that our hobby has a group who are bold to the point they walk a thin line on hunting spots they say, "Nobody cares", or "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission", so us meeksters will always be way back in the permission-line

Thats true Martin!..'Seek ye not the treasures of the Earth' was intended for Farmers anyway, not us!...Farmers waste a huge amount of time with little to no payback!...plus the stink! Unless a guy likes to go around dressed in overalls like Buck Owens and smelling like a portacrapper! I never could see any upside to being a Farmer, except for getting up early and working all day long!...that an rhubarb pie....:laughing:
Mud

Back
Top Bottom