XP Deus users...I need some more eyes/ears on this, please

biggziff

I hunted an old site today that was very promising, but very trashy. It has been everything from a stage coach stop, an Inn, a post office, gas station, resturant, roadside garage, you name it. Some very affluent people have spent time here including celebrities from the 1800s on up until the late 50s. It's owned by a friend so we went up there today with great anticipation. Since everyone has said the Deus is so great on trashy sites I had high expectations. It might be me, it might be the trash, it might be coronal mass ejections....but I dug more trash today than I ever have. Nearly every signal sounded like a mix of all 4 tones, raspy, high, low...ugh.... High tones with good numbers dug up trash...low tones dug trash, pennies were dead on, but a 1995 Nickel buried 4" down rang as 61-66 with no junk around it in the hole.

I did manage a few zinc pennies, a newer nickel or two and a 1970 Quarter, but nothing what I had anticipated.

Anyway...I tried lower the sensitivity (85 from 93), lowering and raising reactivity, adjusting GB (tracking, pump, manual), adjusting frequency, raising disc to 10, 30, 50...nothing seemed to have much of an effect.

Here's what I started with:

Basic 1, edited as follows
4 tones, 200 (up to 27), 502 (28-43), 651 (44-90), 791 (91 and up)
disc 2.5
silencer 1
react 1
TX power 2 (I played with this outside last night (1 thru 3) and it seemed to have no effect on a nickel, penny or quarter buried at 8")
Sens 93
GB Tracking

Here's a video showing what I'm describing as far as the tones. We do know that the yard was often used as a dump for all manner of things...and we found a lot of it! What I need is another Deus user to spend some time with me hunting, but until I can find someone nearby the internet has to do.

Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/Yexm5QhC2HQ

Some others and I responded at the other place, but here it is.
I've been at similiar "sounding" sites. I think he is right by saying slow it down some. I don't think it's necsarrily for the DEUS, but more for your ears to analyze those signals a little more. Any time you hit one of those high tones among the trash stop, tighten your swing down over that area and check the tones thoroughly. It may be trash or a false signal but it it takes just a second to be sure. I do a lot of the "wiggle" back over signals to help me distinguish what im hearing. I was doing just that tonight, and pulled a 62 penny out of a plug literally right next to a piece of can slaw in the plug with it. Don't get me wrong the programming is important, but to me, it's about zeroing in on that high crisp tone and nailing its location. If that good solid tone drops off or cracks as I'm wiggling back, I've pulled trash from the plug. I'm also very new to the DEUS, but this is what is working for me right now. I think we have a lot to learn still yet.

I hunted an old site today that was very promising, but very trashy. It has been everything from a stage coach stop, an Inn, a post office, gas station, resturant, roadside garage, you name it. Some very affluent people have spent time here including celebrities from the 1800s on up until the late 50s. It's owned by a friend so we went up there today with great anticipation. Since everyone has said the Deus is so great on trashy sites I had high expectations. It might be me, it might be the trash, it might be coronal mass ejections....but I dug more trash today than I ever have. Nearly every signal sounded like a mix of all 4 tones, raspy, high, low...ugh.... High tones with good numbers dug up trash...low tones dug trash, pennies were dead on, but a 1995 Nickel buried 4" down rang as 61-66 with no junk around it in the hole.

I did manage a few zinc pennies, a newer nickel or two and a 1970 Quarter, but nothing what I had anticipated.

Anyway...I tried lower the sensitivity (85 from 93), lowering and raising reactivity, adjusting GB (tracking, pump, manual), adjusting frequency, raising disc to 10, 30, 50...nothing seemed to have much of an effect.

Here's what I started with:

Basic 1, edited as follows
4 tones, 200 (up to 27), 502 (28-43), 651 (44-90), 791 (91 and up)
disc 2.5
silencer 1
react 1
TX power 2 (I played with this outside last night (1 thru 3) and it seemed to have no effect on a nickel, penny or quarter buried at 8")
Sens 93
GB Tracking

Here's a video showing what I'm describing as far as the tones. We do know that the yard was often used as a dump for all manner of things...and we found a lot of it! What I need is another Deus user to spend some time with me hunting, but until I can find someone nearby the internet has to do.

Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/Yexm5QhC2HQ

How much experience do you have on the XP? Sounds like its a new to you machine. You realize you took it to THE hardest spot to hunt for any type machine right? I never recommend you try to hunt a place like that till you really have a good handle on a machine. Really trashy ares are THE worst place to learn a new machine.

1. Take it to a cleaner area and learn it first. You will see a significant difference in a good target and a bad one.

2. Put in in 1 mode and don't touch anything till you learn it. Then once you learn it and you make an adjustment you can tell if if worked for you or not. Basic 2 is very good right out of the box.

Hope that helps some. Call me if you have questions on it.

Gospel

Some others and I responded at the other place, but here it is.
I've been at similiar "sounding" sites. I think he is right by saying slow it down some. I don't think it's necsarrily for the DEUS, but more for your ears to analyze those signals a little more. Any time you hit one of those high tones among the trash stop, tighten your swing down over that area and check the tones thoroughly. It may be trash or a false signal but it it takes just a second to be sure. I do a lot of the "wiggle" back over signals to help me distinguish what im hearing. I was doing just that tonight, and pulled a 62 penny out of a plug literally right next to a piece of can slaw in the plug with it. Don't get me wrong the programming is important, but to me, it's about zeroing in on that high crisp tone and nailing its location. If that good solid tone drops off or cracks as I'm wiggling back, I've pulled trash from the plug. I'm also very new to the DEUS, but this is what is working for me right now. I think we have a lot to learn still yet.

This is the only answer you need.

I hunt with reactivity at 3 or 4 on sites like this. I up the power to 3 and run it with as much sensitivity as I can get away with but I would guess in a site like the one you describe I would probably not get away with anything higher than 85. Iron volume at 1 and Audio Response at 1 as well because I want to gauge depth.

Once you do this, then it is ALL UP TO YOU. Really. You have to learn to decipher what the Deus is saying to you. The Deus doesn't lie but we often misunderstand it. The Deus is a high end, sophisticated piece of equipment that requires much effort to really get those benefits you hear about.

It sounds to me you are in the right track. Just keep at it. I'm a slow learner and it has taken me 1.5 years to begin to get it.

How much experience do you have on the XP? Sounds like its a new to you machine. You realize you took it to THE hardest spot to hunt for any type machine right? I never recommend you try to hunt a place like that till you really have a good handle on a machine. Really trashy ares are THE worst place to learn a new machine.

1. Take it to a cleaner area and learn it first. You will see a significant difference in a good target and a bad one.

2. Put in in 1 mode and don't touch anything till you learn it. Then once you learn it and you make an adjustment you can tell if if worked for you or not. Basic 2 is very good right out of the box.

Hope that helps some. Call me if you have questions on it.

Thanks, Bart...it is new to me and is quite a bit different from the Whites and Garret units I'm used to.

I wasn't thinking that this site would be so trashy....once we got there my buddy tells me...."We used the yard as a dump...there is all kinds of stuff buried here" I wish he had told me before we drove 2 hours! :)

I'm going again in the AM to a less trashy site and Andy's book arrived today so I'm reading it tonight...maybe it'll help some!

Ohhh gawd,,i just bought a Deus today (in transit) and its my first real metal detector other then a 99 dollar bounty hunter and after searching YouTube for Deus related video's i was surprised to see a seasoned detectorist dig up so much trash with a Deus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK4e82z1G2Y
just watch the last 2 mins of the video and explain to me how the Deus was not able to eliminate all that trash he shows in the video?..

since im new im gonna follow the advice in this thread and try the basic 1 and basic 2 settings and try and learn from there,,then try pulltabminers settings to see how those work..
but being a high end machine with a seasoned user i feel like the guy in the video should have never dug up the amount of trash he did...is he using the machine wrong or something,,is his settings off? i just spent a huge amount of money on this Deus surely this beast can do better then that..

and can this machine download custom settings into its computer like the CTX 3030 can? in case somebody creates some killer settings its easier to just switch over to one setting rather then monkey with bunch of them if you can even remember what they were..

Back
Top Bottom