First time permission

drolen

So I'd been eying an old falling down house in the middle of a tobacco field for a few weeks. I checked our county records, and looked up the owner's address in the phone book. Today on the way to a local park I decided today was the day to knock on the door.

I pulled into the long rive and had to walk a ways to get to the house. The whole walk I was thinking that at any moment I would be attacked by the farm dog and would have to pull my concealed weapon and shoot it. I wonder, if you shoot someone's dog that's attacking you in his own yard would it be uncouth to go ahead and ask permission to MD? probably not and there were no dogs around anyway.

I had to knock on the door for a while and gave up. Just as I made it back to the car the door opened and a lady stepped out. I confirmed I was at the right place, told her I was a Soldier at the local base, had a hobby, and asked if it would be OK for me to MD at the old house. She said she'd check with her husband.

A minute later she pops out and says it's OK but he thinks someone has hunted there before. What a relief and confidence boost! My first time asking and first time getting permission.

I head directly to the old place and start up by the porch. I immediately start getting sporadic hits and they turn out to be some foil and then a penny. One penny turns into another turns into another and eventually turns into 31 pennies in a 50ft area. Also a couple dimes and a quarter. All from the 70's. It took about two hours to dig all those pennies and I had the opportunity to get really good pinpointing with my F2. About half the time my Fisher Pinpointer buzzed as soon as I poked it into the ground a couple inches.

I'm heading back out there tomorrow morning. The pennies did start getting frustrating but the last dig was a quarter so I'm pumped again.

Thanks for reading.

Good luck with that property. By the sounds of it, either the previous hunter didn't dig pennies, or their machine was turned off. LOL I hope you find some great stuff!!! Let us know how it goes.

A penny is a penny and that is still better than nothing. Plus it could be a lot of different types of pennies. You just haven't found that right one to get you excited for pennies:lol: Great job though getting permission!

Well, I went back to day one more time and found another house on the property. It didn't look nearly as old but was totally overgrown. I think maybe an elderly person lived there, died, and the place was abandoned.

Walked away with another 50-60 pennies of clad, about a dollar worth of clad dimes, and one Wheat Penny. Woo Hoo. Wheat penny was half exposed on the surface too.

Back
Top Bottom