Lining Up Historical Maps

soughtseven1035

Forum Supporter
I am using historicmapworks.com and I see that the land shifted from the 1870 maps I use. Would I line up the old map with the new one to see where the old buildings were, or do the old buildings just overlay on the current map where they would be today? Please help.

The maps are off a bit. I find the oldest road in the community and go by that usually. also a lot of towns were named something different back in those days. Ie. When I researched wilson ny I found out it was called charlottesville. Then it changed to something else then to wilson ny. So when searching those old maps also find out if your town had a different name and then search for those maps also.

I don't think you guys get what I was trying to say. I already found the roads. They are almost identical most of the time. It's just that the land shifted over the years and where would I line the school house up? Would it be where it originally was, or do I pull that road over and have it lineup with what it looks like today. I am guess it's where it originally was.

I don't think you guys get what I was trying to say. I already found the roads. They are almost identical most of the time. It's just that the land shifted over the years and where would I line the school house up? Would it be where it originally was, or do I pull that road over and have it lineup with what it looks like today. I am guess it's where it originally was.

The road is still in the same place, so the schoolhouse should too. A river boarder might have changed but a house doesn't move, just like a road wouldn't.

Alright, well then you estimate where you think the buildings were and land poke around with your MD. Even if you're in the general area you'll be fine. Good luck.

What I do is line up multiple map layers in an image editing program (I use GIMP).
I align as many roads/landmarks as possible on each map with the current satellite
image as a base. This gets me within about 10' of the target area every time, depending
on the accuracy of the old maps.

Back
Top Bottom