Pinpointing tips with F2.

mystery250

I follow the various manuals online. It's finding a good bit of zinc in our yard. I'm figuring pennies dropped over the years.

However, when I hear the tone, press point.. It gets to 2 or 3 (it's loudest), indicating that there's something there.. I dig, and there is nothing. Tried lowering sensitivity and no luck.

I couldn't find a good video about pinpointing with it, so, do you guys have any tips?

I guess it has a learning curve, but hrm...

Not sure what discrimination setting you are using but you might be picking up big deep iron. You can "google" something called detuning, it is basically shrinking the the pinpoint area of the target. Here is a video about pinpointing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyIUKonpGs it isn't an F2 but works the same with any detector.

It shows 'iron' just about everywhere. Occasionally I get something else. (have found two dimes and a penny) Going to switch to the 4" coil.

I follow the various manuals online. It's finding a good bit of zinc in our yard. I'm figuring pennies dropped over the years.

However, when I hear the tone, press point.. It gets to 2 or 3 (it's loudest), indicating that there's something there.. I dig, and there is nothing. Tried lowering sensitivity and no luck.

I couldn't find a good video about pinpointing with it, so, do you guys have any tips?

I guess it has a learning curve, but hrm...

Do you still get a signal after digging the hole?

If it says 2 or 3 on that VDI number, it could actually be 3-4 or 5" on a coin...especially if the ground is most.

If you have big pieces of cans down there, they can show up as high number zinc signals and can be as deep as almost a foot.

Zinc pennies will usually be 51-62 as far as the VDI numbers.
Partial but big pieces of cans might come in in the high 60's...still zinc, whole cans in the 70's.
Iron might come in very high, and might be a ghost signal from large iron several inches away from your hole.

Check out my video.
When you hear that loudest tone, there will be a metal object under the center of the coil...somewhere.

Check the dirt you dig out of the hole, also.
One of the hardest things newbies seem to be able to learn is how to find their "moving" targets.

It gets better...keep practicing.

Try slowly raising the coil as you swing. If the signal stays loud and clear, then it's something big and deep....just move on if you're coinshooting.

Having the same problems. It's saying dime or zinc, I dig where I think I should, find nothing. Always check the dirt I take out, as well. *ponder*

I did manage to find a quarter in the front yard, but that one was a fluke.

Still getting the smorgasboard of beeps, even when at a park that doesn't have any power lines for a few hundred feet.

It keeps on beeping hysterically, saying different metals.. It's crazy. Managed to dig a penny out over an hour, the rest of the places there claimed to be something, was nothing.

Hrm. I made sure the connection was tight with the coil, so not a clue, unless it's user error which doesn't seem to be the case.

If we knew what part of the world you were, a nearby member might be able to help you determine where the problem originates. Or, you might contact a local MD group for assistance.

Yeah, my first idea was to lower discrimination. Never helped. Tried all different levels at different locations which was a no go. Ponder.

Still getting the smorgasboard of beeps, even when at a park that doesn't have any power lines for a few hundred feet.

It keeps on beeping hysterically, saying different metals.. It's crazy. Managed to dig a penny out over an hour, the rest of the places there claimed to be something, was nothing.

Hrm. I made sure the connection was tight with the coil, so not a clue, unless it's user error which doesn't seem to be the case.

Did you tighten the cable itself around the shaft?

My F2 as well.

I wast old by Fisher my F2 is Faulty

I was just told by Fisher tech that if you discriminate above iron, the center of the coil doesn't "work." So if you turn off Foil, pin pointing becomes really hard.

I was just told by Fisher tech that if you discriminate above iron, the center of the coil doesn't "work." So if you turn off Foil, pin pointing becomes really hard.

Never heard of this.
I have disced out all kind of combinations including foil and all the way up till only dimes and quarters remain.
I can pinpoint perfectly...absolutely no difference.
Sorry, you either misunderstood, or that fisher tech did not have a clue.

Never heard of this.
I have disced out all kind of combinations including foil and all the way up till only dimes and quarters remain.
I can pinpoint perfectly...absolutely no difference.
Sorry, you either misunderstood, or that fisher tech did not have a clue.

All I am doing is repeating what I was told.

David, the tech at Fisher is who told me this. Their phone number is 1-800-685-5050. I ask for Felix who transfers me to David.

All I am doing is repeating what I was told.

David, the tech at Fisher is who told me this. Their phone number is 1-800-685-5050. I ask for Felix who transfers me to David.

I am not saying you lied, I am saying that tech does not know as much as he should, or is very bad at explaining things.

I have read thousands and thousands of posts in the last couple of years on the detectors I own or want to own, reviews also, and there has never been any mention from anybody ever about this "missing area" when you disc.
Not from Fisher, from sellers, from reviewers or from owners.
Not one.
I also have studied up on the tech side of detectors and coils and how they work, and not one mention of this phenomena on any detector brand or coil on the market.

On the F2 you have about 95 different combinations you can set with the notch feature, and even though most of the time all I ever do is cut out iron, I have used other settings in the past.
Some hunts, especially when I am tired after a long one, I will get rid of everything except dimes and quarters for my walk back to the truck...looking for that last lucky strike on silver.
A few times, in sites when I just get sick of digging too much foil, I have knocked out iron and foil and a few times even nickel, too.
No matter what combination I set mine to, notching or just zapping each target type one by one going up the line from iron, I have never, and I mean NEVER seen any iota of difference at all in the way it pinpoints with either the 8' or the 4" coil.
It has always been laser-like in that respect as long as I have owned it.
By now I have several hundred hours of experience hunting with the F2, and must have dug tens of thousands of targets, good and bad, because I am a dig it all kind of hunter and probably will always be.

I am not wasting my time calling this tech, but in my opinion, he needs retraining, some more instruction on how coils and discrimination work on the F2 in the real world, or at the very least, he needs to brush up on his communication skills.
He is doing a great disservice to First Texas disseminating this type of disinformation.

I am not saying you lied, I am saying that tech does not know as much as he should, or is very bad at explaining things.

I have read thousands and thousands of posts in the last couple of years on the detectors I own or want to own, reviews also, and there has never been any mention from anybody ever about this "missing area" when you disc.
Not from Fisher, from sellers, from reviewers or from owners.
Not one.
I also have studied up on the tech side of detectors and coils and how they work, and not one mention of this phenomena on any detector brand or coil on the market.

On the F2 you have about 95 different combinations you can set with the notch feature, and even though most of the time all I ever do is cut out iron, I have used other settings in the past.
Some hunts, especially when I am tired after a long one, I will get rid of everything except dimes and quarters for my walk back to the truck...looking for that last lucky strike on silver.
A few times, in sites when I just get sick of digging too much foil, I have knocked out iron and foil and a few times even nickel, too.
No matter what combination I set mine to, notching or just zapping each target type one by one going up the line from iron, I have never, and I mean NEVER seen any iota of difference at all in the way it pinpoints with either the 8' or the 4" coil.
It has always been laser-like in that respect as long as I have owned it.
By now I have several hundred hours of experience hunting with the F2, and must have dug tens of thousands of targets, good and bad, because I am a dig it all kind of hunter and probably will always be.

I am not wasting my time calling this tech, but in my opinion, he needs retraining, some more instruction on how coils and discrimination work on the F2 in the real world, or at the very least, he needs to brush up on his communication skills.
He is doing a great disservice to First Texas disseminating this type of disinformation.

These darned forums...its hard sometimes to get context across. Sorry...I didn't mean to imply that you stated I lied....that wasn't my intention. I'll need to start using these smiley:grin: things...

Since I'm really new to MD, I have to go off of what Fisher tells me and what I can read on line....again...sorry.

In hindsight, I should have said what the tech guy told me followed by that I haven't experienced it, but I haven't really notched out much other then iron anyway...as I'm learning the f2 and want to dig everything.

I haven't experienced what the tech described either...but I can count on one hand how many times Ive been out hunting...so...?

I REALLY like the idea if Notching out all but dimes and Qtrs on the way back when tired...I hadn't thought of this..great idea. ! :cool:

These darned forums...its hard sometimes to get context across. Sorry...I didn't mean to imply that you stated I lied....that wasn't my intention. I'll need to start using these smiley:grin: things...

Since I'm really new to MD, I have to go off of what Fisher tells me and what I can read on line....again...sorry.

In hindsight, I should have said what the tech guy told me followed by that I haven't experienced it, but I haven't really notched out much other then iron anyway...as I'm learning the f2 and want to dig everything.

I haven't experienced what the tech described either...but I can count on one hand how many times Ive been out hunting...so...?

I REALLY like the idea if Notching out all but dimes and Qtrs on the way back when tired...I hadn't thought of this..great idea. ! :cool:

No problem...I didn't think you lied or have any fault here at all.
I grok you. (obscure reference). :D
You are new, and the amount of information that we try to absorb when we get into this hobby can be overwhelming at times, and you really don't have any baseline of true knowledge to judge advice against.

I am pretty confident that any experienced MD'er would have laughed in this tech's face if he would have uttered that statement to them about the pinpoint changing and getting more difficult when you disc.

I had a real hard time for the first few months when I started.
I was using a horrible detector, I had horrible soil, no knowledge about anything, and I went through the most frustrating time in my life just trying to deal with all of that and get better.
It took me about two weeks and about 20 hours of hours of hunting before I even found my first coins.
Eventually, through sheer stubbornness I overcame all that.
I vowed that I would try to help any and all people on this forum, newbies especially, avoid the frustrating experiences I had, and to do anything I can to help shorten the learning curve.

I always try to be positive, I am there for anyone that ever wants to ask me questions in a PM or on the forum, and many have, and I have over 5000 posts in which many of them were not just fluff, they were an honest effort to help.
Two of my threads have garnered over 11,000 views...one over 14,000, and they were designed so that newbies, or anyone, could use them as a learning tool and make an informed decision before they purchase two detectors that I own and think very highly, of.
These threads have probably helped to sell dozens of detectors because they exist, and I never asked for or expected any compensation...I just wanted to be helpful.

It just bites my behind when I see people in so called, "knowledgeable positions", give bad advice or bad information which only tends to confuse people even more than they already are.

I talked to Felix, once, he seems like a decent guy and the sort that really might want to help people.
This tech, however, I have some real issues with.

So you are fine, no problems at all over here on this end with me.
Just get yours repaired, replaced or whatever you have to do, and swing that thing and learn it.
The fun quotient is off the scale when you have a good working detector like this one, and some knowledge behind it.
I am here for you if you ever need.

HH

Back
Top Bottom