Ocean Township NJ

Has anyone asked permission to metal detect in a township park in Ocean Township - Monmouth county? Were they receptive?

Is there a rule or law forbidding md'ing there, such that permission would be necessary, in the first place ?

Not to my knowledge. But I'm just trying to avoid being confronted by someone if I were to detect there.

But then I guess that can be unavoidable. At one park - when I was parked in a parking lot some guy who was not a hunter, was claiming that the lot is only for hunters and angrily wanted me to leave. I double checked with the park service and it is was a general lot for all.

Not to my knowledge. But I'm just trying to avoid being confronted by someone if I were to detect there.....

Well if you want to "avoid confrontation" (ie.: don't want to get a "no" or a "scram"), then don't think for a moment that by asking permission, you will circumvent that. In fact, it could merely bring about a "no". When in fact you might never have been noticed or bothered. Ie.: you might become a victim of the "no one cared till you asked" phenomenon . Ie.: The "safe" answer to the "pressing question" by some desk-jockey who envisioned geeks with shovels.

You can look up rules/laws for yourself. If you see nothing that said "no metal detecting", then .... so be it. And ... sure, you can never guarantee that some busy-body might not gripe. Detecting has "connotations" after all. Ok, can't you pick lower traffic times and avoid any such griper ? It's gotten to where I do 95% of my park turf hunting at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene. :cool:

Assuming of course that this is normal run-of-mill innocuous parks. And not some sort of sensitive historic monument.

Most parks here don't permit anyone there after certain hours. Dark is definitely out. It is by a busy road so there is allot of traffic. Been pondering when it may be quieter. But it'll never be quiet. Not a monument, just the site of one of the first homesteads in the area. Historic house was removed.

well, .... don't quote me on this but .... my experience with the "park closed at sunset" type signs, are for purposes of keeping out late night teen keg parties. Or to keep out homeless who think they can camp out there, etc.... But otherwise, it wouldn't be unusual to see someone walking their dog, taking a romantic night stroll with their honey, etc....

But assuming you truly can't do it at night (ie.: assuming someone there "really cares"), then how about crack of dawn Sat. Or Sun AM's ? Or on federal holidays when city staffs are off for the day. Or at times when night-fall isn't till 9pm, such that any rush hour traffic, and/or city park staff are all done for the day. Ie.: hunt 8pm to 9pm so that you're not (gasp) violating the "sunset" signage.

Back
Top Bottom