• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Truth about NEL coils?

I have two nel coils: the tiny snake and the tornado. They are both high quality coils but what I've found using my Tornado is that what I get, in practical terms, is deeper clarity. What I mean by that is the stock coil on my AT Pro may give me an iffy signal on an 8 inch coin but my Tornado will give me a clearer signal on the same coin. I honestly don't know if it can see deeper but it certainly makes everything within the range of the stock coil much clearer and less iffy.

Here is something to consider...

If you understand the shape of your coil's field underground.. You would understand how, no matter what size the coil is, it takes the same amount of time/swings, to cover a given area, if you are trying to get max depth from said coils..

<°)))>{

I will say I am very slow to adapt to a new product...Heck, I wore the cheapest and freebee headphones for 5yrs before upgrading to some quality...Same with the AtPro, I read 2yrs worth of posts before getting one...Same with the NEL, lots of reading posts and witnessing results before pulling the trigger and ordering one...

When a guy like me works with stock gear for a long time, any kind of aftermarket upgrade is INSTANTLY noticeable! In fact, it opens up areas hunted in the past with an understanding of how this new 'tool' will perform to an advantage, this NEL has several advantages outlined and I like it.........

I'm still a noob, Theres a little group of us here that all started in together back 8yrs ago and are learning along the way...We pattern the long time successful hunters...This Forum is very helpful...I still operate without a handheld PinPointer though, and no sniper coil...I'm stubborn...:laughing:

This Sport is all about results, and being an 'audio primary' based hunting discipline...a guy cant find what he cant hear...so high quality cans and coils are a good spend with returns forthcoming...
Mud

Last edited:
goodmk.jpg

I used a Nel Tornado coil on my ATPro and found it was very stable and did give me noticeably more depth than the stock coil. It was a bit harder to pinpoint, but not a problem by any means. The only drawback was that it was heavy to swing for long periods of time. However, the ATPro is not all that great as far as balance anyway. I do use the gizmo for better balance, but it still is nose heavy. If I was to buy another coil for additional depth, I would buy an even bigger Nel coil than the Tornado. Just need to get to the gym more to build up my shoulder muscles...

The new Thunder gets the depth of the Storm with the weight of the tornado and separation of the hunter. It's a nice addition to the lineup.

I think I have more live silver coin digs than anyone else in the world and about 90% were done with a NEL Tornado on an etrac. Don't worry about losing sensitivity with a larger coil. When people mention that they are talking about concept and not actual field use looking for silver coins. You will not lose sensitivity on a silver dime which is probably the smallest thing you are looking for anyway.

Consider this... I have found silver dimes with my CTX3030 with the SEVENTEEN INCH coil that I have missed with the stock coil. So if the 17" is hitting harder and finding deeper targets than a 10" coil then you're obviously not losing sensitivity on dime sized targets.

First of all you will find deeper coins going with a larger coil but you will also find more coins on edge which is something most people don't realize. Stock coils will miss a 6" coin standing straight up and down but a larger coil will sneak them out. I've found hundreds of old coins that way. If you want to see 150+ live silver digs with a NEL coil check out the older videos on my channel.

Imho, and not talking about any particular machine, much is made of coils and depth, and there's many variables to take into account, but rarely will a fixed fast recovery speed detector benefit as much in depth from an oversized coil as one where you can adjust much lower the speed/reactivity.
Obviously the target size and conductivity, freq choice, ground minerals etc are a big factor also, a detector that is ace at finding a WW1 helmet at 4ft+ might be useless at finding a thin hammered silver coin at 6".

I have two nel coils: the tiny snake and the tornado. They are both high quality coils but what I've found using my Tornado is that what I get, in practical terms, is deeper clarity. What I mean by that is the stock coil on my AT Pro may give me an iffy signal on an 8 inch coin but my Tornado will give me a clearer signal on the same coin. I honestly don't know if it can see deeper but it certainly makes everything within the range of the stock coil much clearer and less iffy.

Back
Top Bottom