Town Common & Greens and curb strips

kfaulkner327

I'm new to metal detecting and I have a MD on order I have permission for city parks and some homesteads but I was wondering how and if I need permission for Town Commons and green areas and also for curb strips?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

uh, curious first: When you say you "have permission for your city parks", then.... if you felt it was necessary to have permission for them, then why wouldn't the same logic apply to other forms of city land you list ? Eg.: town commons , city-green belts, curb-strips, etc..... ?

In my opinion, you need(ed) permission for none of them. No-more-so than you'd need permission to fly a frisbee. All you need to do is look up for youself if there's some sort of municipal code that said "no metal detecting" . If not, then there's your "permission".

Naturally, since md'ing has connotations (someone might think you're about to leave a mess), you need to avoid being a sore-thumb. Ie.: pick lower traffic times, avoid lookie-lous, etc... And of course, if any of the places you had in mind are obvious historic sensitive monuments, then that would be a different issue. But for run-of-mill green belts and town commons, parks, etc... I never ask. Lest you risk running afoul of "no one cared ... UNTIL you asked" phenomenon.

Thanks .. That was the way I was thinking .. The city park was in a different city an the way I asked was, "are there any ordences prohibiting metal detecting in the city parks" there answer was no. So that was my permission. Going to follow your advice, early morning weekend hunting ..Thanks

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

... the way I asked was, "are there any ordences prohibiting metal detecting in the city parks" there answer was no. ....

Yes. That is an improved way of asking (for if someone can't find the city park's rules listed, to read for themselves). To ask as you dig: "Are there any laws that prohibit .... ?" Rather than "can I metal detect in the park...?" To ask as you did, would seem to put the burden of proof on them to CITE such a law, if one existed. Rather than subject you to their arbitrary whim or mood.

However, even with your improved way of wording, I've heard of that falling flat too. For example, they could say "no because you'll dig" (even though you NEVER mentioned dig, it's just some people's automatic image). Or "no because we think you'll harm the sprinklers". Or any other such nonsense has been known to result even from the improved way of wording. And if you go to try to debate them on some rabbit trail answer, you'll end up loosing.

So I much prefer to look it up for myself, if I were skittish on any particular area.

Back
Top Bottom