sad sad day for are hobby

This stuff has always been happening. What is sad is that the Archies are trying to hype this incident, blame the whole hobby, and blame it on the TV shows!

It is a few bad apples not the hobby.

If that is the best they can do, instead of protecting and working these sites then what are our tax dollars paying these people to do??? Finger pointing and name calling
AFTER the fact that they have failed to do their job?!

You are right! With the exception of Jamestown US archies do not care about most of our history. They go overseas, native american, or else something politically correct:

http://www.archaeology.org/news/

We have a similar trail here in Texas (El Camino Real) that has a still visible depression in some areas. Historians claim that the trail might have started as a buffalo trail which of course Indians used also, followed by Spaniard expeditions, Mexican army troops and eventually settlers with wagons.

SO the wagons ruined the buffalo trails! Maybe one day some of the bad plugs left behind by these "outlaws" will be protected..

"Back in the early 21st century, in a time when metals were used for money and trade, these holes were made by the HTH culture (Historic Treasure Hunters) of that era. These depressions in the ground were made in an effort to, at that time, recover these pieces of metal, they called coins for their monetary and historical value. Since 1/14/2019 the NWO has outlawed "coins" to own, please visit your local museum to see preserved examples of these specimens.

This history message brought to you by the NWO, this sign was erected by your local NWO conformant chapter in 2114."

;)

<*)))>{

SO the wagons ruined the buffalo trails! Maybe one day some of the bad plugs left behind by these "outlaws" will be protected..

"Back in the early 21st century, in a time when metals were used for money and trade, these holes were made by the HTH culture (Historic Treasure Hunters) of that era. These depressions in the ground were made in an effort to, at that time, recover these pieces of metal, they called coins for their monetary and historical value. Since 1/14/2019 the NWO has outlawed "coins" to own, please visit your local museum to see preserved examples of these specimens.

This history message brought to you by the NWO, this sign was erected by your local NWO conformant chapter in 2114."

;)

<*)))>{
No, I didn't say the wagons ruined the buffalo trails.

What is your point? That everything is history, even destroying the evidence of history itself. I'm not buying your theory.

No, I didn't say the wagons ruined the buffalo trails.

What is your point? That everything is history, even destroying the evidence of history itself. I'm not buying your theory.

Think he was being sarcastic. NWO, New World Order, was an anarchy movement, not as popular as it once was. Guess most of them grew up, got jobs, families, got off the dope. No government, no rules, is a dream state. Human beings can't get along with other humans (or anything else), with out laws and consequences, which requires government.

Think he was being sarcastic. NWO, New World Order, was an anarchy movement, not as popular as it once was. Guess most of them grew up, got jobs, families, got off the dope. No government, no rules, is a dream state. Human beings can't get along with other humans (or anything else), with out laws and consequences, which requires government.

Yep, I got the sarcasm, but in keeping with the OP's and other's serious concerns in this thread, I guess I wasn't ready for someone to jump on my post with a 1980's NWO razz. My apologies for being too snappy.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/diggers/articles/oregon-trail-facts/

180340_diggin-duo_u4otpkuoohegc34cxym6cgqbe3ncurxrbvj6lwuht2ya6mzmafma_610x457.jpg

Now, let me add... I like THIS "digging" show. It SOUNDS like they do try to be good ambassadors for the hobby. Read ALL the info about the show on Nat Geo website and decide for yourself, but do the research.

That being said, they DO need to do a show dedicated to being GOOD detectorists, and portraying the hobby in a good light to the "Muggles" out there (yeah, I Geocache also). I think their fanbase is well established and an episode like this won't hurt their ratings - after all, in TV it is ALL about the ratings - and it might even help it.

While kind of on the same subject look at how our National Battlefields have been developed on the blood of our forefathers.

Every year we lose more battlefield land to developers: http://www.civilwar.org/ :?: Where is the outcry from the archies as well as the Govt. (crickets.....):mad:

[/QUOTE]Also, people should know to STAY OFF OF AND AWAY from state and or federal land !! Thats a no brainer....[/QUOTE]

We had the local BLM folks come to a club meeting and explained the "rules" of prospecting and detecting on BLM land (lots here). There are two lengthy historical routes south of where I live: The Bozeman trail; and the route of Lewis and Clark. Their reply was a long as you are not disturbing a Historical site, you would be OK on BLM land. I believe the ruts area in this case would be the historical site and must be avoided, but the other parts of the Oregon trail, as well as the Bozeman trail, would be OK?

Wayyyyyyy too many gray areas here.

But if you didnt, or the "authorities" didnt know where ALL of the Bozeman trail/Oregon trail/Lewis & Clark campsites, stops, meetings, etc were located, would there be a problem? There are many pics and stories on this forum of very old coins, relics, and antique rings found on public property. Is the underground railroad, old canal, or a historical trail/battlefield nearby?

Yes gray areas, but I like their answer: we like to keep the gray areas.

The forest service was a different matter. There response was to leave items over 50? (cant remember) years of age alone. Yea, thats an easy one!!!!!:?:

MDing on Federal land is legal. Sometimes you have to play hobbyist, and sometimes you have to play archaeologist. State may be a different story.

Got a reply from Lael Henrikson at the BLM. Basically says they are glad to hear that there are organizations who do not encourage such behavior and agrees the people who did were not part of such an organization.

A report on the incident will be posted on the BLM website and Facebook page.

The existence of this forum was passed on to the BLM Public Affairs office.

This may be a positive step in working with these agencies instead of being left out of the loop and having no imput.

It is a shame that this sort of thing happens, we suffer as much here in the UK from the activities of irresponsible detectorists.
As so often pointed out by our "friend" Warsaw Wally.

Then again, have archaeologists every really studied the trail ?, and what do they think is likely to be found ?.
It's been there a long time, so they've had plenty of time to make their own investigations.

Of course these programmes featuring metal detecting are always going to attract those who think they are going to get rich quick.
Once the reality kicks in, they soon give up.

Doubtful the archeologist have, or will dig up them ruts, they are the historical treasure, a landscape feature. The whole point of them, is that earlier settlers didn't really need a map or guide, just follow the ruts, left by hundreds of wagons before them. It's not like you can just go in a straight line, sometimes you have to go way off course, because you won't be able to get a wagon through some areas. The ruts mark the easiest know path. Probably not a whole lot to be found in the path anyway, unless it fell out while traveling. Off to the sides, where people camped, or stop for a potty break, would probably be more productive. Would guess there would be places, where some would have to discard items, to lighten the load a little, soft ground, hills. Don't think the people back then were quite as careless, or wasteful. Most of them had everything, their entire lives packed on those wagons. What little money they had, was packed away very safe and secure, it was all they had to purchase land when the got there.

I really don't think these occasional idiots, are going to have a huge impact, long as they eventual get caught. We all need to be respectful, follow the rules, not make too many waves (aggravate others who share our hunting sites, for other reasons). It's tough sometimes, but we want to be as positive as possible, in everyone's eyes that we encounter. Upset people tend to hold a grudge. It's a huge planet, and plenty of places to hunt. Enjoy the hobby, might have to alter your hunting plans occasionally, but tomorrows another operatunity. We don't want to push the issue to the point of a 'yes' or 'no' vote, and have very specific rules applied to our hobby, we will come up on the short end.

If you want to do something about this type of thing, there are two groups you should be aware of.
First, The Federation of Metal Detector and Archaeological Clubs Inc. Here is their link: http://www.fmdac.org/ Also you can join the Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation. Here is their link: http://detectingrights.com/
The more members join these groups the better! Just my :my2cents:

Back
Top Bottom