Got the Boot from an Arkie

Honestly

Im a very nice guy, ez going and avoids fights. Having said that if I ever get confronted by one of these guys I'm going to warn him to @&$& off and if he doesn't he is getting knocked out. I'm a archeologist by trade and I hate them the most. Pompous bastards most of them.

Im a very nice guy, ez going and avoids fights. Having said that if I ever get confronted by one of these guys I'm going to warn him to @&$& off and if he doesn't he is getting knocked out. I'm a archeologist by trade and I hate them the most. Pompous bastards most of them.

Better watch it! You'll never get another article published in Archaeology Magazine again with that attitude, mister!:laughing:

Today I decided to hunt a spot that I hit a few months ago. The site is a National Forest Servece office that just so happens to have an older house on the property. Before I hunted it the first time I got verbal permission from a Forest Service agent.

So there I was swingin away when a man approached me and identified himself as a NFS archeoligist. He told me that I was on federal property, (I already knew this:lol:) and that detecting was prohibited on ALL federal land.

Now I am aware of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) and I'm not allowed to remove artifacts over 100 years old, but why did he tell me detecting was illegal on federal land? He also told me they were really going to be cracking down because of the recent TV shows about treasure hunting. I agreed with him that those shows were not only bad for archeoligists, but the average hobbyist as well.

If I'm not allowed to hunt on federal land (this includes BLM) I just lost about 90% of my hunting grounds. Park hunting sucks so call me an outlaw!:pirate2:

Keith[/QUOTE

Just leave it all in the ground to ROT.. (well that is the archeologists stance? right?)

Ok question, so it is legal to coinshoot in a national forest? If so great cause we are going camping this weekend and I don't want to be bored. Lol. We are going WAY out in the woods.

It depends upon the particular forst you will be at. Google that forest and search their webpage and go through their activities section. In Arizona there are several forests that allow detecting with one caveat and that is not near historical areas. Which are to be marked and posted as such.

It is illegal to detect on any federal land. If you are lucky, they will ask you to leave. More likely than not you would be arrested and possibly your gear seized.

Untrue for many areas. In the east they seem to love to ban everything and have that absolute tyrrany control of their forests. As stated in my above response it is a case of the individual forests management that decides policy. Also National Forests are under the USDA and their policy is use of resources, as where the National Park Service is under the Dept. of Interior which is under the controlled use but the preservation of all resources. This includes letting park lands burn when non-man caused fires start. In Arizona there are even forests which allow you to pan for gold and is open for the public to do so.
Read this it is down a bit but has the policy for the Forest Service lands.
http://www.mdhtalk.org/national/national.htm

Metal detecting is legal on NFS land. They are not part of the NPS. It is also legal on land owned by the Army Corp of Engineers.

Statements that it is illegal to detect on all Federal land are false.

He wasn't doing anything wrong.

Exactly brother. He was well within his right to be there but once again so over zealous archie wants to exercise his power trip.
I have told several of the archies that I know where wall carvings are and many places in the northern Arizona area are, they got all perked up and asked but I told them I would never tell them because of their elitist attitudes. And I do know of some really great places, the one area has petroglyphs all over it tracing the movement of tribes to the Grand Canyon, too bad for those who would like to see it that they have ticked off we as a public. This is a case of them reaping what they sow.

not arguing about the law but I have had the corps tell me to put my detector up and not get it back out.I was shooting in a campsite we had rented around the picnic table.

The corp told me i could detect at the swimming beach an any place they don't mow. Lake Wappapello area in South east MO. HH
ric

Sorry I went off on a tangent, but it is very disheartening for me to hear the vitriol the academic elite are spewing about our community, when they know very well that without our contributions (and our manpower, time and effort) we would be well behind the curve in learning about our history and culture.

Don't be sorry..... That was well said and most of us agree whole heartedly!

The corp told me i could detect at the swimming beach an any place they don't mow. Lake Wappapello area in South east MO. HH
ric

Thats cool I was in the state park campground at wappapello when they told me that, but it has been many years ago.

Back
Top Bottom