Tools for digging grass?

sajsww

Hi, up till now I've been md on the beach and not had to worry about making a mess with sand. Now I want to start in fields. Anyone got any good techniques of how to dig properly on grass fields without leaving too much of a mess? Or what the best type of tools to use on the grass? I was thinking a small cupped shovel with a pointed end might work.

I went to Lowes and bought a True Temper digger for I think $10.00, it has a serrated edge to cut through a tree root. I love the thing! Cut in a circular motion, or make a "C" cut, lay something down to put the dug dirt on, once you find your treasure, put the dirt back in and put your plug back in place and move on to the next target.

I use a Lesch digging tool. I'm sure there are other suitable tools; but I got the Lesche as part of a package deal with a Garrett ProPointer.

When digging a grassy area, I cut three sides of a square with the Lesche; and fold the plug back using the uncut side as a hinge. If I have to take any additional dirt from the hole, I place it on a towel beside the hole. The dirt from the towel goes back into the hole and the plug is folded back into place when I finish. If done carefully, a couple of foot stamps on the replaced plug will make it look undisturbed.

Sometimes, depending upon the soil and root system, the plug will crumble instead of coming out in one piece. When that happens you will just have to use your imagination to do whatever is necessary to restore the turf.

I use a Lesche as well. At the time, I couldn't find any digging tools similar to the Lesche design. Anyways, I now only cut a plug IF my detector gives me a 4+ inch depth reading, which is typically accurate thus far... and if it is 2-4inches and/or near the surface I will do my best to "surface dig", if you will. I do the same as the other posters 1) cut a "C" shape 2) use the "uncut" portion as the hinge 3) dig out any dirt if need be (I will NOW start incorporating the towel/tarp method) 4) get item 5) replace dirt 6) flap plug over hole 7) stomp on the plug 8) messy the surface of the plug with my hands to make it look like the surrounding surface of the dug area 9) move on

HH \_ and hope this helps???

there are some REALLY good videos on Youtube!!!

Same as stated above..
If I use a shovel I use a predator raven #25..
Small, T-handled double serrated edges..
Cuts a very clean plug effortlessly..
Sonny

Diggers

They make many different brands and types of diggers http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846 <---here is a link to some, if you scroll down the page there is an eight page array of the different ones.... I used towels at first (White hand towel size), People can see the white from further away and it looks neater. Now I use a table Place Mat I found at Walmart that looks and works like the roll of a roll top desk but the wood strips are 1/8th inch wide. The place mat has a cloth backing to hold it together better, Why I like it is it folds or rolls into a funnel like shape making it very easy to pour the fill entirely back into the hole. Towels are to limp! Look for them at Walmart they are $3.50.....Good Luck and Happy Hunting....:biker::digginahole::biker:

Tools for digging grass

Hi Guys and Gals,

First post on this forum i am from Down Under In Oz and have been detecting in our beautiful country for 35 years. The method i use for retreiving targets from grass is a probe rod and screw driver with a pair of forceps. You can do the most manicured lawns and their is no damage to the turf.

Regards Pinpointa :laughing:

Attachments

• probe rod & screw driver  7th. oct..jpg
    probe rod & screw driver 7th. oct..jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 909
I have a Lesche, a True Temper, and a Fiskars. Of the three the Lesche is my favorite. Instead of towels, placemats, Frisbees, etc; I use a simple plastic grocery bag (a la Walmart). I lay the dirt on it with the bottom of the bag facing the hole. Then when it's time to put the dirt back in, I slide the mound of dirt on top of the bag over the hole, pull on the bag handles, and "wa la" the dirt falls neatly into the hole. :D

What's great about this grocery bag method is that it is very compact, just wad it up and put it in a pocket. It is also easily replaceable and "free" (well, ya gotta buy something first...).

Hi Guys and Gals,

First post on this forum i am from Down Under In Oz and have been detecting in our beautiful country for 35 years. The method i use for retreiving targets from grass is a probe rod and screw driver with a pair of forceps. You can do the most manicured lawns and their is no damage to the turf.

Aww mate, and I was just about to buy myself a Sears tractor with a mini backhoe attachment.

You know another tool I would bring along is one of those mechanics grab tools with the four prongs, you squeeze the disc towards you and it opens up all four fingers. I would try to find a rigid one or spray a flexible one with epoxy or duracote.

I have a Lesche, a True Temper, and a Fiskars. Of the three the Lesche is my favorite. Instead of towels, placemats, Frisbees, etc; I use a simple plastic grocery bag (a la Walmart). I lay the dirt on it with the bottom of the bag facing the hole. Then when it's time to put the dirt back in, I slide the mound of dirt on top of the bag over the hole, pull on the bag handles, and "wa la" the dirt falls neatly into the hole. :D

What's great about this grocery bag method is that it is very compact, just wad it up and put it in a pocket. It is also easily replaceable and "free" (well, ya gotta buy something first...).

Thanks hubbit, I'm going to try both a towel and the grocery bag to see which one is easiest for me. I like the grocery bag method as it "folds" up REALLY compact:yes: HH \_

Hi Guys and Gals,

First post on this forum i am from Down Under In Oz and have been detecting in our beautiful country for 35 years. The method i use for retrieving targets from grass is a probe rod and screw driver with a pair of forceps. You can do the most manicured lawns and their is no damage to the turf.

I have never used a probe but the only way it is effective is once it is striking your coin, is that correct? I have seen what using your fingers to rub an old silver coin can do to it so I am guessing a probe would be worse. I think I will stick to digging a plug.

on shallow targets I find it first with the ProPointer before digging. If the signal is strong I just use a Tacpuller to make a slit in the sod and gently probe until I feel the coin being careful not to scratch it. Be careful about diggin too small or too shallow of a plug it'll kill the grass in that spot...

I got the Fiskers digging tool at Walmart for $5 it looks similar to the Lesche & works great. I also have a Lesche on the way to me.

They make many different brands and types of diggers http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846 <---here is a link to some, if you scroll down the page there is an eight page array of the different ones.... I used towels at first (White hand towel size), People can see the white from further away and it looks neater. Now I use a table Place Mat I found at Walmart that looks and works like the roll of a roll top desk but the wood strips are 1/8th inch wide. The place mat has a cloth backing to hold it together better, Why I like it is it folds or rolls into a funnel like shape making it very easy to pour the fill entirely back into the hole. Towels are to limp! Look for them at Walmart they are $3.50.....Good Luck and Happy Hunting....:biker::digginahole::biker:

I like that place mat dealie,I need to pick one up at Wally World, Mouse.

I went to Menards.
$4.99 garden tool
Brought it home and took it to my grinder.
Sharpened and serrated it.

Works like a champ.
3f8c3520.jpg

Back
Top Bottom