Is my MD on drugs??

AirborneDave

Forum Supporter
I've never had this happen before, maybe someone can explain it:

Last week, I got permission to hunt a closed down gas station/ general store. It's been closed for about 20 years or so. Today on my way home from work, I decided to spend a quick hour there.

The parking lot is huge, and is made of gravel, most of which is a dark grey that I'm not familiar with. I take a few swings and my AT Pro goes bonkers. I try to auto ground balance it, and it tries to balance between 82 and 86 with high tones mixed in. I figured that to be a bit much, so I step away about 10 feet and try again. Still tries to balance in the same range with the same sporadic high tones, so I go with it ( I'm still learning the machine).

The MD still goes nuts.

I discriminate to 20, then 30, and get the same results, then all the way to 40 (too much for comfort for me) and still have a whacked out machine on my hands. I turn the sensitivity ALL the way down, and finally it calms down, but not by much.
I get a high tone and a VDI of 86 and decide to dig. Pull out the ProPointer and it goes berserk. As far as I can sweep with my arm over the gravel, it goes nuts. Turn it off, and back on. Try again. Same results. Move 20-30 feet away, and same scenario.

Is it possible that this grey gravel is something extremely mineralized and impossible to hunt in? Or is there something else? My only other thought is that this grey gravel is mined from meteorites and that I'm going to retire in the Caymans next week!!!:laughing:

http://static.photobucket.com/playe...et.com/albums/ii65/photodave101/VIDEO0015.mp4

Last edited:
Possibly an underground storage tank?

I thought about that as a reason for the MD to go crazy, but the pro pointer picks it up and steady chimes when it touches on the surface of the gravel and stops about 2-3 inches above it. Also, this only happens when its mostly the grey gravel and not the brown stuff.

The entire lot does this to my machines, all the way around the entire building. I'm lost......

My pro will do that near pipes or electrical wires. What about hot rocks?

I'm new to the pro but I would think since it's surface iron, id forget about that spot. When the detector bounces numbers like that you need to turn down the sensitivity. Turning the iron desc all the way could mask the targets too. Just my thoughts.

I would ask the AT Pro experts, I am new to the At Pro. Try the At Pro Group, they would be able to help. Hope this helps. HH

Are there power lines close, cell towers, underground wires, underground tanks these will all affect it. But I'm leaning towards underground tanks or the gravel is slag from iron smelting. It is giving the detector overload and you will not be able to hunt it. Try using the pin pointer and scan an area of gravel. Pick some up in your hand and see if it still goes off. If so its probably slag. Also to ground balance you can't have any metal under or close to the coil. PS slag is a darker gray than limestone, it is the impurities taken out of molten iron. We lived close to an iron mill and got slag for our driveway, a lot cheaper than gravel or limestone. No detector is going to work, its like trying to detect a coin under a car hood.

82-86 is well within a normal range.. as earlier on was said take a hand full and test it..
Out of curiosity I would dig down a bit and see what's under it.. What kind of VDI #'s are you getting??
Are they constant or jumping all over the place??
Set it at Pro Zero, descrim at 35, iron audio on..
Listen for that repeatable good signal in the range your looking for.. You get a good signal raise your coil off the ground and see how high you have to lift it to loose it..You still getting it a foot off the ground then there is something under there large, not a good target might I say..
Last resort, you can try to notch out everything up to 70, sens backed off 2 notches.. If you still getting the same results then go somewhere it was working correctly and check it out.. I'm sure it has to do with the parking lot..Not both the pro and pointer are going to go out on the blink at the same time..
Give it a try..
Sonny

If it is porous [little air bubbles in it] then it is steel mill slag and is full of iron and will be like detecting through a sheet of steel . Yes its the same stuff used on old rr tracks, not used as much these days they use limestone or granite.

I worked at a steel mill slag dump and detected there ,it is possibly but difficult to find non ferrous in iron slag. With the right detector.

Take a few pieces of each type of gravel away from that area and test to see witch has iron in it .From what i can see in your vid it all looks like crushed river gravel , so slag witch is kinda ugly may have been used as a base and may be down several inches.
If slag was used as a base it may be black fines [like sand from open hearth furnace or foundry] or brown ,gray or white granulated [water cooled ]witch will be packed hard like concrete.

Ground up tailings from a uranium mine. Y'all ain't glowing a bit are ya?

No wonder they closed the gas station! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom