Beach Merc eyeball find!

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Supposed to get nastier outside so I decided to get one last bit of exercise so at the last minute hit the dunes for a quick zip up and I spot something shiny right on top of the sand: a 1942 Merc just uncovered from the northern lake winds! Also found a few other coins and a churchkey. It's sure fun finding silver without a MD. :yes:

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 328
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 327
  • c.JPG
    c.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 286
  • d.JPG
    d.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 287
  • e.JPG
    e.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 283
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 279
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 321
That would never happen at myrtle beach!! There’s always 20 foot of sand on top of the pan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing that one would eyeball a silver at a beach. In over 8 years of detecting the three local beaches i have found one silver coin. Of course my beaches are constantly changing and have had much sand pumped back onto them over the years. The cans are a very frequent find. No Alcohol allowed on the beach and then they bury their beer cans. Congratulation on the Nice Merc.

great pix. I've seen the same phenomenon happen at west coast dry-sand dunes sometimes : The wind (which is perpetually moving sand dunes, 1 sand grain at a time) will blow the sand away from various objects, leaving the heavier objects on top of the sand. And so coins take on the appearance of little toad-stools, where they become a miniature wind-foil :)

With up to 50 mph winds here today, everything not tied down is blowing away. days like this I have found paper money stuck in fences around parks and schools.

Amazing that one would eyeball a silver at a beach. In over 8 years of detecting the three local beaches i have found one silver coin. Of course my beaches are constantly changing and have had much sand pumped back onto them over the years. The cans are a very frequent find. No Alcohol allowed on the beach and then they bury their beer cans. Congratulation on the Nice Merc.

These beaches by me have a long history: one had a penny arcade dating back to the 1905 period and another has been a tourist destination going back to the late 1920s so the potential for finding old coins and such is good.

great pix. I've seen the same phenomenon happen at west coast dry-sand dunes sometimes : The wind (which is perpetually moving sand dunes, 1 sand grain at a time) will blow the sand away from various objects, leaving the heavier objects on top of the sand. And so coins take on the appearance of little toad-stools, where they become a miniature wind-foil :)

THIS^^^ is exactly what I was talking about and I use it to my utmost advantage. Those blustery winter days when the northern lake winds blast in finds me bundled up (sometimes getting sand-blasted) scouring the fresh sand-layers looking for goodies, many times without a MD just using my eyes. And yes, the erosion damage to the shoreline gets pretty extensive.

Back
Top Bottom