Button ID for MoBob

61chip

Elite Member
MoBob asked me to post this for him. Need ID help. It is a flat button, no backmark. Droop WIng eagle with 4 stars and says PLATED at the bottom. He found it years ago in the Cumberland MD area. Any help would be appreciated

I added a pic of the back for Bob. It's missing the eyelet / shank

Attachments

• IMG_20150804_24244.jpg
    IMG_20150804_24244.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20150805_58179.jpg
    IMG_20150805_58179.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 249
Come on guys and gals , don't let me be the first to stump the forum , somebody has to know something about this button . Thanks and HH

About the thickness of a quarter , but you know you could be on to something I will try and research the medallion you might be right , I never even thought about that. Thanks , and I new someone on here would have an answer.

About the thickness of a quarter , but you know you could be on to something I will try and research the medallion you might be right , I never even thought about that. Thanks , and I new someone on here would have an answer.

Oh a quarter ..probably not thick enough to for that then it's just what popped into my head as another possibility.

"Plated" on the front seems odd to me for a button front...

What is under the eagle? (Pretty much in the center ) I can't tell what it is in the picture. Hmm I think the "plated" side with the eagle may actually be the back sort of like this one http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=122459

Last edited:
What you can see in the pic is pretty much all that can be made out. I have a good button book I'm going to do some more research. But really appreciate the help , I checked the saw medallions and couldn't find anything like it.

What you can see in the pic is pretty much all that can be made out. I have a good button book I'm going to do some more research. But really appreciate the help , I checked the saw medallions and couldn't find anything like it.

Yeh I ditched the medallion idea once you said it was only about a thick as a quarter plus it just didn't seem like it after I actually looked at a few.

I do think the back is the side with the eagle, "plated" on it and the little markings under the eagle is where the shank was attached (looks to be in the center) and the plain side is the front.

Looks 1820s. Ish

Yes; when 61chip first put this thread on the board, I went and did some surfing looking for the droop wing eagle. It didn't take long to see that the droop wing eagle was more common; at least to me, in the period of the war of 1812 up thru the 1820's. That's the only input I have gathered.

Acey

Back
Top Bottom