More River Relics; Carved bullet, Counterfeit Coin, and a Beautiful Shoe Buckle

The Wolf

Elite Member
Here's the latest from the river. The 3-ringer is pretty cool, it's been sliced in half and opened up like a book. The flat button has a concave on the other side, and the shoe buckle is the nicest one I've dug.

The coin thing is a mind-blower. It appears to be a relief of a Large Cent in a hunk of pewter or silver. However if someone stamped a coin, the image would be backwards. I can make out the "United States", which appears to be backwards, but the orientation of what looks like the "One Cent" is correct. I can't figure this out. The opposite side of it has a low convex and is completely smooth with a few scratches/carvings. Looking at the edge, it almost looks like two LC's melted together, or just one pushed into a a glob of metal. I've tried to match it up with a few Matron/Coronet Head LC's that I have, but no match. I don't have any Flowing Hairs to compare to.

I soaked it for a bit, then dusted it with baby powder to fill in the crevices. Lightly brushed the high spots and the details popped out a bit.

It's definitely old, really sweet, and one of a kind. Any thoughts from you coin pros??

HH!

Attachments

• IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_1479.JPG
    IMG_1479.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_1475.JPG
    IMG_1475.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_1471.JPG
    IMG_1471.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_1469.jpg
    IMG_1469.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_1481.jpg
    IMG_1481.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 634
i've dug 2 pewter large cents.someone said they were made to be used as poker chips.I doubt they were made to be passed off as LC's into circulation.or maybe made to test the dies?if they were a counterfeiter? regardless ...they are fun to dig.i coated mine with hairspray as pewter tends to flake over time

i've dug 2 pewter large cents.someone said they were made to be used as poker chips.I doubt they were made to be passed off as LC's into circulation.or maybe made to test the dies?if they were a counterfeiter? regardless ...they are fun to dig.i coated mine with hairspray as pewter tends to flake over time

Thanks Dave. Do yours look anything like mine? Are they only one sided? Any idea how these were made? Just seems to me that if it were cast with a coin, the entire image would be reversed, not just certain areas.

Thanks Dave. Do yours look anything like mine? Are they only one sided? Any idea how these were made? Just seems to me that if it were cast with a coin, the entire image would be reversed, not just certain areas.

Looks like the image is completely reverse to me. Here's a shot that corrects it.

Attachments

• IMG_1488a.jpg
    IMG_1488a.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 439
I agree with Dave its probably a poker chip and does look like it was "Draped bust" variety , your buckle however looks more like a knee buckle to me a picture of the reverse can confirm its true use .

Looks like the image is completely reverse to me. Here's a shot that corrects it.

Wow! Thanks IP. I was thinking it said one above the cent, but now I can tell otherwise. Thanks for the flipped image. Any confirmation on what coin it is?

I agree with Dave its probably a poker chip and does look like it was "Draped bust" variety , your buckle however looks more like a knee buckle to me a picture of the reverse can confirm its true use .

Thanks! Ill have to find a pic of a draped bust cent. Ill post a pic of the reverse side of the buckle later tonight. I've never found a knee buckle, but I thought they were larger. This one is relatively small, convex, with a smooth back.

Your coin is very similar to a pair of 1877 seated liberty halves I found which were also counterfeits.

Attachments

• seateds%20small.jpg
    seateds%20small.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 395
Wow! Thanks IP. I was thinking it said one above the cent, but now I can tell otherwise. Thanks for the flipped image. Any confirmation on what coin it is?

Probably could be any number of things but most interest tends to be lost when the reverse image was simply made from another coin opposed to a reverse image being an error or a die. I've seen a few lead ones with a reverse image of King George.

Back
Top Bottom