WW1 37mm ammo casing with hand engraving. Help with Identification Please.

MetalDetectinNC

found this 6" deep in an open field in Franklinton North Carolina.

Any ideas on what the engraving might mean? On one side it says AEF. The other side it might say MJM. My guess is this is a souvenir that a soldier had engraved because this particular round took out the enemy. His initials might be MJM and the AEF stands for his military regiment?

pic-ammo-37mm.jpg
pic-ammo-aef.jpg
pic-ammo-mjm.jpg

this is some info about the gun that used the round:

The M1916 37mm gun was developed by the French and used primarily by French and American forces in WWI for destroying machine gun emplacements.
m1916 37mm tripod 2.jpg

does anyone know more info on this item? is it worth $? Thanks

I belive the A E F engraving stands for American Expeditionary forces . If I remember right the first american forces sent to france in ww1 was called the American expeditionary forces .

thanks for the info! i really appreciate it.

from an ammo forum website (iaaforum.org) ive learned it was made in May 1917 by Poole Engineering and Machine Company of Baltimore, MD.

and the AEF means Allied Expeditionary Forces.

it was neat to see the engraving after i cleaned it up a little. a nice surprise.

thanks!

Do a search for the term "Trench Art". Soldiers stuck in the trenches during WW1, and other wars, would pass the time making things out of spent shell casings and what ever else they could get their hands on. Some are quite artistic!!

Great find!

Very interesting, thanks for posting!
Maybe a soldier brought it back with him and did the work here?

I belive the A E F engraving stands for American Expeditionary forces . If I remember right the first american forces sent to france in ww1 was called the American expeditionary forces .

AEF does stand for American Expeditionary Forces, you are correct.

Back
Top Bottom