Finds from the JGD Hunt

choppadude

Forum Supporter
Had a great time and reconnected with some great friends and made a few more. As usual the hunt was awesome and the location was KILLER!
The site was Maddens Tavern which was built in 1840 by a free black man. The property saw a lot of visitors including Union troops as well as Confederate.
The highlight of this hunt was the number of plates that were found (seemed like everyone but me found one LOL!) I saw 2 nice SNY plates. A fella that was new to organized hunts killed it finding 5 US plates and a Eagle breast plate to boot. And to make it even more unbelievable, he was running the CTX3030 with the stock coin program LOL!
In all I believe 30 plates or more were recovered and some killer coins.
My highlight of the hunt was the recovery of a 1773 Virginia Half Penny. I have heard what a rare coin this was and even dreamed of finding one at one of these hunts in VA but never actually thought it would happen!
I started the hunt off with the GP3500 machine the first day and dug ALOT of iron but managed a few bullets. On the second day it was a pleasure swinging the Deus and that is the machine that I recovered the half penny with. On the final day I pulled out the Nokta Impact with the15 X 14" IM40 big coil and was able to recover some nice deep bullets. I must say this machine is balanced well and even with the big coil it was very easy to swing for long periods.

Still standing Tavern

Nice relics, and congrats on the half penny! Thanks for sharing the pic of the tavern too. Love that part of history.

Great post ! thanks for sharing. I have a sister that retired in Va. Maybe I should start chatting her up about the area she's in. Congrats on the awesome finds. HH Mark

WHOA!!!

Amazing story, choppadude!

AWESOME hunt, and GREAT job on your finds -- I've never even HEARD of a "Virginia half penny!"

CONGRATS!

Steve

Excellent finds ! Can't say I ever heard of a Virginia half penny but you have extraordinary skills in finding great things. Don't confuse it with luck because no one can be that lucky.:cool:

Nice finds brother, and a cool pic of the old tavern. Thanks for sharing , and maybe see you at the spring hunt.Congrats

This.........hurts........sooooooo......bad! Man I'm itching to find CW stuff.

Nice finds cograts sir, glad you got to go and have fun.

Nice job, choppa! That Va. half penny is sweet! Wish I could have made it to this hunt too, but work got in the way. Hope to see you in the spring for the next one!

Great post ! thanks for sharing. I have a sister that retired in Va. Maybe I should start chatting her up about the area she's in. Congrats on the awesome finds. HH Mark

Tons of Civil war action in VA. I have been fortunate to be able to recover some nice things.

Back
Top Bottom