Big surf at "Big Red"

18kRonin

Forum Supporter

Hunt 9
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=237901

Hunt 10

:surfin: surf was up, triple deckers at times hitting the base of the slope where I wanted to hunt and an undertow to die for, gave it a try. :lol:
Thought it always looks worse than it really is. But I was just lying to myself it was bad :lol: Under all that white water found a deep trench with a near vertical face 2-3 feet high cutting into the bottom of the slope with real firm sand finding a couple of heavily encrusted steel bars then scoring a plat earring so kept at it.

Could only get a max of two scoops at a target before getting knocked away never to find it. Almost got a face full of scoop a few times, was washed up on the beach twice and lost count of the times I lost my bearings completely.
Body surfing with a detector and big scoop is not recommended :lol:

3 hours in was starting to feel a bit green around the gills. Thought as soon as I get a ring I'm out of there. Just under an hour later got a bit of heavenly intervention yellow in the scoop 18K and I was gone, well after a good look around that area :lol:

Haul for the 4 hour "where am I" hunt
18K ring 3.3g
Plat earring 0.38g
8 maybe 9 pieces o'silver
21 coins

:tropical:

Thanks for viewing
HH&GL

Hunt 11

With all that wave action had to go back the next day.

Found the waves a bit kinder but not the sea of tranquility I was hoping for :lol: a lot of soft sand around only managing to get onto a thin strip of firm stuff before the surf picked up and it was back on. Not so many targets but a lot of sand movement. Stumbled onto a large silver bangle and then more trash with the odd coin.

Got this small target that sounded off real good and found a chain hanging out the bottom of the scoop. Picked it up and had a small but heavy pendant Plat!!! Hunted for another hour finding a lot of light stuff being kicked up by the surf and a layer of black stuff around 1-2 scoops down with the big red stuff well and truly out of sight.

Could be the end of Big Red for a while. One hell of a ride lasting way more than I ever thought possible. But you never know, could be full on big ugly stuff again next hunt :iwish: :lol:

Total for the 5 hour "finally found me a set of sea legs" hunt

Pt900 Pendant on a Pt850 chain 3.46g
4 pieces o'silver
18 coins

:tropical:

Thanks for viewing
HH&GL

Following hunt http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2665975#post2665975

Last edited:
Lots of targets. Congrats on the nice rescues. I'm not sure I would be up to hunting in those dangerous conditions though.

Admirable Horatio Hornblower! You went into those haystacks and rip!? I chickened out yesterday after taking a look at the same deal here...I did find a nice cut that was sort of knocking the legs off the waves, but the rip in there was so fast, I didnt want to attempt it and bravely went totlotting for pennies!

Thats another very nice haul of good gold and Plat there Ronin! Do us a tally of what you got out of Big Red when you are done in there...Good Work in those very tough conditions!
Mud

:dingding: Angel ring is lovely and the plat chain with the pendant was an awesome find! That straight razor, I think?, you got is super cool. I would probably clean that one up and display.

...I didnt want to attempt it and bravely went totlotting for pennies!
Mud

It takes a far braver man to detect those with all the little kids that come up to you asking you what you're doing. :lol:

Sounds to me like you earned every one of those finds the hard way. Glad you are able to hunt in those conditions I know I couldn't. Awesome finds Congrats!

They should pay you for cleaning the beach's, crazy how much iron..!! And Nice treasure buddy!!

Lots of targets. Congrats on the nice rescues. I'm not sure I would be up to hunting in those dangerous conditions though.

Thanks Top, always wondered what the trough was like in those conditions. Luckily no rips and the undertow wasn't too bad as long as I stayed out a bit :yes:

Admirable Horatio Hornblower! You went into those haystacks and rip!? I chickened out yesterday after taking a look at the same deal here...I did find a nice cut that was sort of knocking the legs off the waves, but the rip in there was so fast, I didnt want to attempt it and bravely went totlotting for pennies!

Thats another very nice haul of good gold and Plat there Ronin! Do us a tally of what you got out of Big Red when you are done in there...Good Work in those very tough conditions!
Mud

Thanks Mud, went in very carefully :lol: shorty wetsuit and hood (gives a bit of protection if the scoop gets a bit out of control), mask and snorkel, no weight belt on and no tether on my scoop. Plan for best but prepare for the worst ;)

Sure when it's a done thing, I'll put together a few numbers and pics :yes:

Hunting in the water at night with backslappers coming up behind you that you can't hear or see till the last moment now that's scary :shock:

:dingding: Angel ring is lovely and the plat chain with the pendant was an awesome find! That straight razor, I think?, you got is super cool. I would probably clean that one up and display.

Thanks Felix, has to be the best iron I've seen for awhile :lol: the blade may even be from folded steel like a lot of the real sharp blades had at the time in my area. Have to get around to getting a good display case one of these days and that one will be in it.
Will clean it up and post pics :yes:

Nice finds! Tough hunting in those conditions, you earned those! 😎

Thanks Scott, had to dig and clear the scoop faster than I would normally have but yeah real heart pumping stuff time flew by until I started getting sea sick that is :lol:

Decent return for all your effort Ron!!:thumbsup:

Knowing Yer limits is a good thing!!:yes:

CJ

Thanks CJ, had a close call a year or so ago hunting water. That reset my limits quite a bit :yes:

Sounds to me like you earned every one of those finds the hard way. Glad you are able to hunt in those conditions I know I couldn't. Awesome finds Congrats!

Thanks Charlie, didn't think I could either. Used to surf a bit when I was younger and was just like falling off the board into white water bringing back good memories :no: :lol:

Last edited:
That's some dedication right there, getting pushed around is no fun, and retrieving that amount of targets in conditions like that says alot!

They should pay you for cleaning the beach's, crazy how much iron..!! And Nice treasure buddy!!

and it looks radioactive too :shock:

Man you're absolutely killing it this year, Ronin. I thoroughly enjoy living vicariously through your posts. :lol:

Thanks Joe, most of them are like that without all the sand on top. Gives me a good idea on sand movement. The first time I hunted one beach there was big iron everywhere haven't picked up any iron on that beach for years.

I knew you were due for a Pt. Chain!!! Great Job

Thanks OTS, you knew more that me :lol: got my eyes open for a big fat 18K chain :lookclose:

Awesome finds! Congrats on the gold, silver, and plat! You definitely earned them!!

Thanks brother :yes:

Some very nice digs there Ronin! Congrats!

Thanks Vermonster :yes:

Bravo you are a brave man and it paid off.

Thanks DD, good motivation more than anything ;) another beach I would have stuck to the wet :yes:

That's some dedication right there, getting pushed around is no fun, and retrieving that amount of targets in conditions like that says alot!

Thanks Zee, not a lot of time in between surges had to go like hell :lol: would have loved to have had a GoPro would have been entertaining :lol:

I'm tired of you posting that industrial metal :laughing: Another good hunt "G" :D

Just the motivation I needed to keep hitting it hard :laughing: ;)

Man that iron makes me cringe, the gold and plat makes me drool :pirate:

Congrats!

Thanks GS, use to hate iron but not so sure now :lol:

and it looks radioactive too :shock:

Man you're absolutely killing it this year, Ronin. I thoroughly enjoy living vicariously through your posts. :lol:

Thanks Swinglow, this beach opening up has been a real score would hate to think what I would have got otherwise. Sooner be cherry picking the easy stuff :lol: Made up for a slow summer that's for sure :yes:

Sounds like it was quite a battle but it looks like it paid off pretty well. Congrats

Thanks X2 Capt ;), wouldn't recommend hunting in that stuff too often. The DF headphone cable got a real workout. The snorkel I was wearing stopped the headset from flying off completely. Most of the hunt I was facing shoreward hitting the cut at the bottom of the slope. Well trying too :lol:

Took my Excal into rough water once getting the headset knocked completely off by big dumpers ended up getting a wire pulled out just enough to let in saltwater, rusting it out. An easy fix but not good to discover a headset is not working right mid hunt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom