Looks like White’s is finished.

I am 53 and I like latest tech, thanks for calling me young.:D

Well Young Man I am 79 years old so I will call you young if I want to. LOL

Dang I sound exactly like an old curmudgeon.

Compared to this old phart you certainly are young. I cant even remember being that young. I did not start detecting until I was 71.

Compared to this old phart you certainly are young. I cant even remember being that young. I did not start detecting until I was 71.

I started detecting at 42 and wished I learned the borrowed tesoro when I was a teen.
Back in 1982 I had no clue why a pulltab picture was on a dial. For that matter I only knew on off and volume.
My friend's dad didn't teach us how to use it☹️

My best friend introduced me to metal detecting 50 years ago via a Whites! I distinctly remember the coin HAD to be in the center of the coil (t/r), or I wouldn't pick it up!:laughing::laughing:

I remember reading all the East West Coast Treasure Magazine when I was younger and always wanting a White's Eagle II. I thought that was 'the Dream Machine'
It WAS a Dream Machine". I bought one in 1988 and used it until 2014 and it never spent a day in the shop and it found tons of "goodies" for me. Traded it in for an M6 even though it was still operating perfectly, only because I wanted a detector that was lighter in weight.

Never been a huge fan of whites, but still, gives us even less homegrown options. I cant imagine China has much to do with it, but what do I know? I think Turkey, England, and Australia have more to do with that business tanking than China. Just my 2 cents!
Jeff, I'm not buying into that China thing either. I feel that White's, for whatever reason, became stagnant and just kept on making the same old stuff.

George….you're 79 and I'm 74 but we aren't "old".....we're like wine and cheese, we get better with age.:lol:

Last edited:
I've always wished Garrett would make a high performance machine. I don't know if the Apex is or not. I would definitely like to do some field testing against Minelab someday.

It WAS a Dream Machine". I bought one in 1988 and used it until 2014 and it never spent a day in the shop and it found tons of "goodies" for me. Traded it in for an M6 even though it was still operating perfectly, only because I wanted a detector that was lighter in weight.

m6 probably the best coin shooter whitey ever produced!
5.3 eclipse coil was outstanding on it! been around for 14 years.
maybe they will discount the ones that are left!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Jeff, I'm not buying into that China thing either. I feel that White's, for whatever reason, became stagnant and just kept on making the same old stuff.

+3...if you felt that you paid a little too much for your detector, then you had a
"genuine" whites product, because whitey gave nothin' away, so the china argument is bogus...i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I got a Prizim coil I will be getting rid of soon that I purchased by accident.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Hard to compete with foreign labor and parts that probably produce a competitive detector for 50 bucks or so that will sell for 300+ in the U.S. Whose fault is that? All of us, I'm a registered voter too. Remember NAFTA?

Hard to compete with foreign labor and parts that probably produce a competitive detector for 50 bucks or so that will sell for 300+ in the U.S. Whose fault is that? All of us, I'm a registered voter too. Remember NAFTA?

kind of really like everything in the USA now,, look at Chevy trucks like the Denali its 100% built in Mexico by workers who's minimum wage last I heard was $3.56 and hour and its the most expensive pickup truck last I heard.... it all started with NAFTA which in a nutshell was intended to pass on the savings to the American people but reality was there was no price cut just more profit for the investors and the decimation of working class community's all across the country. who relied on those jobs.

Most people all forgot what "BUY USA MADE" really meant and it became more of a status thing with foreign fashions and materials and the ole saying that well "I work for my money so I buy what I want and this is what everyone else has so I want one too"...... well because of all that these American companies and their jobs which ultimately kept the money circulating within our country are all going bye bye bye... foreign companies are taking over many of you already work for them and its those country's and their corporations mostly staffed by foreign workers who ultimately will be running the USA after most of us are gone because money is power and nobody here will have any,,, just look at the trending on how the foreign markets keeps going up its all right there,,, nothing not even a good ole Harley Davidson is 100% made in the USA anymore. mostly everything new you own has foreign influence now not just the clothing and underwear 99% of the people reading this are wearing,,,,,,,, but the folks living around those old textile buildings all around this country that are now condos and offices or even abandoned I'm sure if educated they understand real well when they head for the food pantry.

Another American company is gone and it doesn't matter who here liked their products or not because American people worked there it was one of our own . its a really bad thing that people who take pride in being an American and actually celebrate the 4th of july don't actually support Americans the middle class are disappearing and becoming the new poor because their jobs are disappearing ,,,, how many of you or your relatives have been outsourced already and lost his/her job do to foreign influence? listen just sit the kids down at some point and teach them how to survive here in the future.

kind of really like everything in the USA now,, look at Chevy trucks like the Denali its 100% built in Mexico by workers who's minimum wage last I heard was $3.56 and hour and its the most expensive pickup truck last I heard.... it all started with NAFTA which in a nutshell was intended to pass on the savings to the American people but reality was there was no price cut just more profit for the investors and the decimation of working class community's all across the country. who relied on those jobs.

Most people all forgot what "BUY USA MADE" really meant and it became more of a status thing with foreign fashions and materials and the ole saying that well "I work for my money so I buy what I want and this is what everyone else has so I want one too"...... well because of all that these American companies and their jobs which ultimately kept the money circulating within our country are all going bye bye bye... foreign companies are taking over many of you already work for them and its those country's and their corporations mostly staffed by foreign workers who ultimately will be running the USA after most of us are gone because money is power and nobody here will have any,,, just look at the trending on how the foreign markets keeps going up its all right there,,, nothing not even a good ole Harley Davidson is 100% made in the USA anymore. mostly everything new you own has foreign influence now not just the clothing and underwear 99% of the people reading this are wearing,,,,,,,, but the folks living around those old textile buildings all around this country that are now condos and offices or even abandoned I'm sure if educated they understand real well when they head for the food pantry.

Another American company is gone and it doesn't matter who here liked their products or not because American people worked there it was one of our own . its a really bad thing that people who take pride in being an American and actually celebrate the 4th of july don't actually support Americans the middle class are disappearing and becoming the new poor because their jobs are disappearing ,,,, how many of you or your relatives have been outsourced already and lost his/her job do to foreign influence? listen just sit the kids down at some point and teach them how to survive here in the future.

So true. The American worker was sold out by the politicians from Both parties with the adoption of NAFTA. They knew we couldn't compete with third world cheap labor but they did it anyway -Corporatocracy....

Yes, White's is finished.

Those who want to complain about other issues with regard to foreign-made products, please, do the following:

1.. Use a Made in the USA computer to access various Forums to voice the complaint.

2.. Use a Made in the USA telephone, cell or land-line, to call me and complain.

Anyone using a foreign-made computer, tablet, phone or other similar device can't really complain about where things are made, what they cost, what the manufacturer's pay and, in the end, what we purchase and use.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it was different and we once again had more home-designed and home-made products. It's not just electronic devices like computers, TV or phones, either. I remember those younger days when you could go to any store and buy a pair of pants, a shirt, a coat, a pair of shoes, and everything fit just the same, and fit just right.

It's almost everything and it will be tough to make the changes we need to go back in time to "The good ol' days" .... for almost everything.

Etnom Nov Yrreb

Just going backwards in time.

If Whites had diversified like Garrett, and made detectors that sold as well as Garrett they probably would not be going out of business. Nothing last forever folks.

I'm all for American made especially when it involves items of national security.

Here is something I have been curious about. Does Garrett manufacture the guts to their detectors here in America? Do they have folks toiling away soldering chips to circuit boards in their factory or is done off shore?

Back
Top Bottom