My first multi silver find!!

remmy

Forum Supporter
Well, I set out into the woods this morning to see what I could find. I had gone over a wide area of the woods section by section with my ace 250. When I got the AT Pro I decided to redo the whole area before doing any fresh turf. In tha past week I did find a headstamp or so that I had missed but this morning was different. The woods is a steep hillside, at the bottom is a long closed road. At the bottom, near the road I had a mid tone that I was sure was a shotgun shell but it turned out to be an old flat button. If anyone can tell me how old, I would appreciate it.
I continued up and down the hill and was in a section where a bunch of trees had blown over many years ago. This allowed sunlight in and so there were bushes growin and I was carefully crawling through them when I got a high tone. Good solid 81 right next to the root ball of a downed tree. I dug what turned out to be a barber dime and rechecked the hole, a mid tone.....v-nickel! Checked again, 81...another barber, and again! 3 dimes and a v-nickel, pocket spill!
Also, if anyone has a good way to clean up the v-nickel, please let me know.

barbers.jpg

flatbutton.jpg

flat%20button2.jpg

WOW! Somebody lost a whole days pay!
Great work and write up!...that sounded like some tough duty working that hillside..Good Job!
Mud.

Thanks! The hillside is 600 yds long, I've only done about 150 yds. It is good excersize climbing up and down! I find if I go back and forth I drift downhill and miss large areas.

Really nice finds! Congrats. I also find that when I go down a hill I can miss some goodies. Keep hitting it. Looks like a great spot

Thank You, was back at it a few hours this afternoon. Nothing so great, but that's how it seems to go.

That's an awesome coin spill and that flat button is probably 1700's. Keep working that area

Amazing hunt, a huge congrats... I found my first barber yesterday and I can only imagine what it was like finding three!

Amazing hunt, a huge congrats... I found my first barber yesterday and I can only imagine what it was like finding three!

Thanks, I was in dime shock! I stood up about to move on and double checked the hole. When I got the v-nickel mid tone, I actually thought that it was a piece of trash that happened to be in the same place. When I saw the nickel I was amazed, 2 old coins in 1 hole! The amazement went on from there! Continued my search today, just another wheat (1946) but I'm sure there's more. So far that's a 1916 quarter, 1936 half plus the dimes, v-nickel and 7 wheats from less than an acre of woods!

Thanks, I was in dime shock! I stood up about to move on and double checked the hole. When I got the v-nickel mid tone, I actually thought that it was a piece of trash that happened to be in the same place. When I saw the nickel I was amazed, 2 old coins in 1 hole! The amazement went on from there! Continued my search today, just another wheat (1946) but I'm sure there's more. So far that's a 1916 quarter, 1936 half plus the dimes, v-nickel and 7 wheats from less than an acre of woods!

Killin It!

awesome coin spill! Hillsides are tough because your coil doesn't stay flat to the ground very easily.

That V nickel seems like it's in pretty good shape - I would just use a toothbrush or wooden toothpick to remove and dirt crust. All old dug nickels have that color... I only know of one way to remove it and make it look new but why would you want to reverse the 100 years of age to it? Proves you dug it and didn't buy it on eBay!

Congrats!

Thanks to you all, I am a novice who just started detecting in june. As stated above, 1 barber dime would have thrilled me! I was actually hoping it was a merc and not a rosie and when I realized what it was I was amazed. Then to find the others, jeez! gonna take a while to top that day....for me anyway:yes:

Back
Top Bottom