• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT Pro gold readings?

007tallguy

Elite Member
Just wondering from the folks who have found gold with their At Pro, where did it ring up on the VDI scale?
My experience with gold targets so far have been as follows:
-8 grams 14k white gold, solid 50 (8 inches deep, wet salt water sand)
- a 12+ gram honker, 14k white gold, 51 (shallow target, wet salt sand)
- 2.4 grams 14k yellow gold, 41 (also shallow salty sand)
- 10k yellow gold, about 3 grams 41, about 2 inches deep, wet fresh water sand.
- 10k yellow band, 2.2 grams at about 2-3 inches in the dirt, rang up at about 45-46 on the VDI.
- 10k pendant, about 3 grams, 5-6 inches deep in the dirt, showed at about 41 or 42.
- 10k yellow gold ring, probably 12-14 grams, surface find and rang up at about 50 in the VDI.

How do those numbers compare with your finds? What have been your lowest and highest readings and in what kinds of environments and depths? Pics and stories are welcomed here as well. :)

Pete

My only experience with Au is:

1. Two 10k, women's rings w/stones - VDI = 45 (consistent/no bounce), both were shallow. One was loose soil, the other loose, freshwater sand.
2. Surface tests w/$5 gold coin - VDI = 50 (again, consistent tone)
3. Surface tests w/man's gold wedding band - VDI = 50 (consistent)
4. Surface test w/man's, 10k class ring - VDI = variable (78 - 83 range)

Any signals below 45 have 'always' been foil/trash for me. :roll:

GL and HH

My only experience with Au is:

1. Two 10k, women's rings w/stones - VDI = 45 (consistent/no bounce), both were shallow. One was loose soil, the other loose, freshwater sand.
2. Surface tests w/$5 gold coin - VDI = 50 (again, consistent tone)
3. Surface tests w/man's gold wedding band - VDI = 50 (consistent)
4. Surface test w/man's, 10k class ring - VDI = variable (78 - 83 range)

Any signals below 45 have 'always' been foil/trash for me. :roll:

GL and HH

thanks for the input! That last one, in the high 70's and low 80's is interesting for sure. :yes:
Then again, any signals that high always deserve to be dug up, lol. For the under 45's, foil has usually been a strong but scratchy or broken type of sound for me, the gold was nice solid hits, no wavering VDI at all.

Only found 2 gold rings so far and the first was with a BH Quicksilver. Other one was a 10k and if I recall correctly I think it came in around 66-67. Been awhile so my memory may be a little off. I just rememeber thinking this is different when I sweeped over it. In a trashy area and thought is was going to be another piece of can slaw.

I have only found one gold piece. ..a very small religious medallion. It rang in the 63-65 range.

All the gold rings I've found have run up in the standard gold range of 51-52. I did have a small thin ring hit at 43 that I've not confirmed is gold, but I'm fairly certain it is and a white gold band that was jumpy between 52-53 which made me think it was going to be a pull tab. I think size/ shape/composition/and surrounding minerals/contamination all play a role in the final VDI, but so far most of the ones I've found have come right in at the 51-52 mark.

Ive only found one gold ring , and it was with an ace 250. No gold yet with the AT pro....just millions of pulltabs !!!!! :lol:

I've found many gold rings and other gold pieces of jewelry along with platinum rings with the AT Pro. If you are asking for the VDI numbers of what others dig, you may get the same results as those others. He says, she says don't cut it if you are using the same methods, settings and adjustments as he says and she says. You see, they don't live where you live and detect in the same ground conditions you do. Chances are they are not utilizing the AT Pro for low conductive metals. Do the research, do the homework. "They" say to dig the 40's signals because "they" have found gold jewelry at those numbers. You have experienced this also. Have you wondered why in a wet salt environment the VDI is in the 40's, however on dry land it's in the 50's for pretty much the same target? Ask yourself what is done differently to hunt the two environments. This is "normal"? It is easier to say "dig it all" than to maximize settings, adjustments and methods for the low conductors. The AT Pro does find the gold jewelry, the user passes over it. HH 5060

The purpose of a metal detector is to find metal. Focus on the metal...not the item.

I've found many gold rings and other gold pieces of jewelry along with platinum rings with the AT Pro. If you are asking for the VDI numbers of what others dig, you may get the same results as those others. He says, she says don't cut it if you are using the same methods, settings and adjustments as he says and she says. You see, they don't live where you live and detect in the same ground conditions you do. Chances are they are not utilizing the AT Pro for low conductive metals. Do the research, do the homework. "They" say to dig the 40's signals because "they" have found gold jewelry at those numbers. You have experienced this also. Have you wondered why in a wet salt environment the VDI is in the 40's, however on dry land it's in the 50's for pretty much the same target? Ask yourself what is done differently to hunt the two environments. This is "normal"? It is easier to say "dig it all" than to maximize settings, adjustments and methods for the low conductors. The AT Pro does find the gold jewelry, the user passes over it. HH 5060

The purpose of a metal detector is to find metal. Focus on the metal...not the item.

Firstring, I always enjoy your posts and appreciate your informed opinion on subjects such as the possible VDI numbers for targets like gold.
I also appreciate and enjoy 007tallguy's posts because they keep the hobby and the forum interesting.
The table posted by 007 asks for input regarding the possible VDI numbers one may expect when their coil passes over a target which is possibly gold.
Your post states you have found many rings and pieces of gold (congratulations) but offers little more for the person (like me) who is gold challenged.
Personally, I'm getting extremely bored with looking at the posts by metal detecting gurus who profess to know all the secrets to flushing those butter colored targets from a resistive ground, but their posts never get beyond the I've found stage of MDing.
This is a forum designed for metal detector hobbyists to share their knowledge and experiences in the field...using their metal detector and talking about it with others....who apparently are interested, or they would be scoping out face book or Twitter.
Thanks for your post 007tallguy.
If I ever find gold with my AT Pro I'll surely post it to your thread knowing full well my GB/sensitivity setting/discrimination/EMI/battery strength/and the amount of sleep I got will be variables and may alter the reliability of my VDI.

ATP/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT Hand held

Just wondering from the folks who have found gold with their At Pro, where did it ring up on the VDI scale?
My experience with gold targets so far have been as follows:
-8 grams 14k white gold, solid 50 (8 inches deep, wet salt water sand)
- a 12+ gram honker, 14k white gold, 51 (shallow target, wet salt sand)
- 2.4 grams 14k yellow gold, 41 (also shallow salty sand)
- 10k yellow gold, about 3 grams 41, about 2 inches deep, wet fresh water sand.
- 10k yellow band, 2.2 grams at about 2-3 inches in the dirt, rang up at about 45-46 on the VDI.
- 10k pendant, about 3 grams, 5-6 inches deep in the dirt, showed at about 41 or 42.
- 10k yellow gold ring, probably 12-14 grams, surface find and rang up at about 50 in the VDI.

How do those numbers compare with your finds? What have been your lowest and highest readings and in what kinds of environments and depths? Pics and stories are welcomed here as well. :)

Pete

Possible VDI numbers? It appears the question asked is where gold that I personally found compares VDI number with what tallguy has found, which I did. To say anyone is a guru at finding gold is hardly worth a comment as it requires much to locate and find gold jewelry. Clive Clynick is one of the best teachers on hunting for gold jewelry, and is willing to share his expertise. The Garrett Searcher has had excellent articles on the subject along with Lost Treasure magazine using the AT Pro. I agree with all the authors assessment on the VDI range to concentrate upon. It is the choice of the individual how they want to approach finding the elusive golden O's. While the MASS of a gold object vs. the mask of a similar-ID piece of foil or aluminum is SO different, that tones can offer clues... there is no guarantee that is the case. It is MY choice what to ignore and what to dig. Whether in a seawater environment or dry land or at what depth, what equipment to use, the AT pro does find it. If you are au challenged, that's ok by me. It is not for everyone. Tallguy, you are doing a marvelous job, keep on swingin', keep it beepin'. HH 5060

Attachments

• 2goldand diamond.jpg
    2goldand diamond.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 975
My smallest 10k gold came in at 41 and all of my 14k has come between 48-52. I dig all signals from 40 on up. Im glad I do too or else I would have missed some nice pieces.....HH !!

Thanks for all of the replies!
And yes, I'm well aware of the extremely broad range where gold can show up, just look at that white part of the At's display where it says "gold", lol. ;)
I was basically curious as to where other diggers were seeing it, especially the absolute highs and lows. Personally, I don't worry too much about the higher readings because those always get dug by me anyway as well as the numbers in the 50's. My 3 largest gold finds have been 50-51 (as stated in my original post), but my first find at that 41 got me to thinking about how many "good" targets I may have skipped when the At was new to me, passing it off as being foil. :roll:
In an ideal world, sure.... dig it all and you won't miss ANYthing but that's not always practical to do.
But good discussion guys, thanks again for the input. :yes:
P.

Possible VDI numbers? It appears the question asked is where gold that I personally found compares VDI number with what tallguy has found, which I did. To say anyone is a guru at finding gold is hardly worth a comment as it requires much to locate and find gold jewelry. Clive Clynick is one of the best teachers on hunting for gold jewelry, and is willing to share his expertise. The Garrett Searcher has had excellent articles on the subject along with Lost Treasure magazine using the AT Pro. I agree with all the authors assessment on the VDI range to concentrate upon. It is the choice of the individual how they want to approach finding the elusive golden O's. While the MASS of a gold object vs. the mask of a similar-ID piece of foil or aluminum is SO different, that tones can offer clues... there is no guarantee that is the case. It is MY choice what to ignore and what to dig. Whether in a seawater environment or dry land or at what depth, what equipment to use, the AT pro does find it. If you are au challenged, that's ok by me. It is not for everyone. Tallguy, you are doing a marvelous job, keep on swingin', keep it beepin'. HH 5060

You win at writing the most without saying anything as per your usual...

<*)))>{

Most of my gold has come from the freshwater... I have also ran a few different ATPs as well and they all reacted the same..

I would really like to agree with everyone about gold VDI numbers that rarely drop below 50 but I cant.. A lot of my gold comes in below 50. I have found it from 38 through 67 so far.. Most smaller gold rings come in below 50, which makes the next statement a fact as well. A lot of the most valuable rings come in below 50, talking about the big diamond engagement rings...

Many of old rings that have been sized become broken at the joint in the water as well. Once a ring is broken it causes the VDI to drop straight to hell, the same with open hoop earrings too..

One of my biggest gold rings this season came in at 42 all day long, but it was really scratchy sounding... When I found it my hunting buddy ran the coil of his CTX over it and he was shocked!! It took two major things to cause this nice big ring to sound like a bobby pin.. The first being 10k white gold, which was made white by being alloyed with nickel (white gold alloyed with silver will come in very high comparatively speaking)... The second reason this ring sounded so bad and hit so low was that it was broken, someone cut it and squeezed it together to make it a smaller size...

IMG_6050_zps3d363bda.jpg

IMG_6041_zpsc16d8916.jpg

IMG_6055_zps8e9ca10c.jpg

IMG_6056_zps68f72cfd.jpg

In the end of it all, I could only hope and wish everyone would stop their search at 50!

<*)))>{

maximize settings, adjustments and methods for the low conductors.

Every time this subject comes up you talk about your settings, yet you have never posted them?

To say anyone is a guru at finding gold is hardly worth a comment as it requires much to locate and find gold jewelry.

I don't know about everyone else but here is my resume from the last year and a half... (most of it anyway..)

IMG_6573_zps61fa853f.jpg

IMG_6578_zps8943a94b.jpg

IMG_4802_zps923f220b.jpg

<*)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20141106_170743.jpg
    IMG_20141106_170743.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 946
Thanks for that info Iceman! Very impressive collection there too! :shock:
And those numbers under 50, hey I look for those now. 4 of the 7 items I listed came in under 50. Had I not dug that very first 41, I may have missed out on a couple of those others I listed as well, likely would have thought they were foil.
In your last photo at 2 o'clock, is that a 14k white? If so, I found a very similar one last year, rang up as a solid 50. Almost passed that one up as a pulltab, lol. :lol:

Pete

In your last photo at 2 o'clock, is that a 14k white? If so, I found a very similar one last year, rang up as a solid 50.

Pete

Thanks man, yep 14K white...

I have sort of actually given up on VDIs when I am looking for gold, most of the time my machine is under water anyway and I cant see it.. I just dig everything, including some iron as well....

I have also sort of quit posting my VDI stuff because I don't think most buy what I was saying, and the others might use the info in my waters... I made an exception here as I have enjoyed a lot of your posts, and I am all about reciprocity!!

Good luck Pete!!

<*)))>{

Thanks man, yep 14K white...

I have sort of actually given up on VDIs when I am looking for gold, most of the time my machine is under water anyway and I cant see it.. I just dig everything, including some iron as well....

I have also sort of quit posting my VDI stuff because I don't think most buy what I was saying, and the others might use the info in my waters... I made an exception here as I have enjoyed a lot of your posts, and I am all about reciprocity!!

Good luck Pete!!

<*)))>{

Ice Scratcher, if you're all about reciprocity, well here it is.
I enjoy both yours and 007tallguy's posts, and I agree with what you're saying about the VDI numbers on the AT Pro.
The closest I get to water with my ATP is a unavoidable mud puddle or a shallow stream running through a campground.
The VDI's are still pretty unimportant unless I'm really tired and have decided to dig nothing but nickels, dimes and quarters because these numbers are usually consistent and predictable.
The other day I was digging in a debris field of demolished mobile homes and was in Pro-Zero mode, but avoiding the really low numbers and iron signals.
Tin foil is a pretty consistent 41/42 but it was no problem sorting it out because of the aluminum and iron debris mixed in with it.
However, I was digging every 50's number other than a solid 55 and all 60's numbers although I've been digging pull tabs there too.
Then I got a solid and repeatable 62, and was sure I was into some gold.
A Pepsodent toothpaste tube, half full of slimy oily fluid is, as I quickly learned when it burst covering my gloves, a solid and repeatable 62.
Tones are still the way to go and the VDI is just a number used to help sort through junk, before you dig it anyway.

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT Hand held

Back
Top Bottom