More people read this forum than I believed

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
In the past two weeks ran into two detectorists at a park near my home. I walk my dog in that park M-F and hunt it with my 800 from time to time.

Both were relative new to metal detecting and they read this forum but are not members. hmmm, I wonder what is the number of non-members reading the forum. One of the guys knew the user names of a number of members that he enjoys reading their posts.

and why don't they join? It is free.

and while I am on this subject why cannot the software be tweaked to make the new members fill out a profile. It is helpful to answer questions when we know where they live and what machines they are using.

Any ideas on this subject?

Not sure why they don't join, but I just checked near the bottom of the page at:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php

and as of a short while ago it said: "Currently Active Users: 1205 (61 members and 1144 guests)"

Now I figure a certain percentage of those "guests" are viewers who are not members, though some of them might be members who just didn't bother to log on.

Here is from a partial screen capture from a short while ago:
02_15_2020_WGO.jpg

….as far as you wondering about making new members fill out a profile, it likely should be voluntary as some people might be leery about mandatory sharing of some info, not that I think it would be a problem on this forum, but some might simply be leery regardless.

When I see other MDers out and about I ask them if they are FMDF members (mostly not members) so I try to encourage them to check us out and join. Last one was a month ago. Still haven't seen him on. :no: Hope they're not going to "that other place". :(

Not sure why they don't join, but I just checked near the bottom of the page at:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php

and as of a short while ago it said: "Currently Active Users: 1205 (61 members and 1144 guests)"

Now I figure a certain percentage of those "guests" are viewers who are not members, though some of them might be members who just didn't bother to log on.

Here is from a partial screen capture from a short while ago:
View attachment 458857

….as far as you wondering about making new members fill out a profile, it likely should be voluntary as some people might be leery about mandatory sharing of some info, not that I think it would be a problem on this forum, but some might simply be leery regardless.

Some of the guests are not human... they are bots and webcrawlers, spiders and such...

Some of the guests are not human... they are bots and webcrawlers, spiders and such...

Yeah, I remember one of the mods explaining that in the past, I glad you mentioned that as I was trying to remember exactly how it was explained because I remembered a mod saying something about not all "guests" being actual people.

I wonder if there is a way of knowing what percentage of "guests" are "bots and webcrawlers, spiders and such" and what percentage are actual people who are not members ?

We should be honored.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yeah, I remember one of the mods explaining that in the past, I glad you mentioned that as I was trying to remember exactly how it was explained because I remembered a mod saying something about not all "guests" being actual people.

I wonder if there is a way of knowing what percentage of "guests" are "bots and webcrawlers, spiders and such" and what percentage are actual people who are not members ?

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I don't pay attention to that stuff so you will have to ask someone else :yes:

I have hosted many guests in my homes over the years.
The ones that overstayed their welcome turned from guests into pests real quick.

So true ! My grandma taught me something years ago I still use today. It's called the 3 F rule. Friends , Family and Fish : after 3 days , they ALL stink !

I think he said that for every valid member there are 3-5 spammers.

It depends... during the weekends the spammers from India come out of the woodwork... during the week.. the IPs are from this country for the most part its here that we do the research from where they actually are coming from... it takes time to root out these spammers... a bunch come from Canada as well they are usually phone scammers..

We don't give away are secrets on how we catch them.. ;)

When I see other MDers out and about I ask them if they are FMDF members (mostly not members) so I try to encourage them to check us out and join. Last one was a month ago. Still haven't seen him on. :no: Hope they're not going to "that other place". :(

don't worry, that other place is good at chasing people away. they will end up here eventually:laughing:.

Currently, at the moment I checked, it fluctuates, there were 54 pages of people viewing the Forum. Only 3 1/2 of those pages were members. The rest are shown as Guests and within those Guests are Spiders and Bots.

You can see this by going to the bottom of the main page where you will see a icon of three people where it shows who is on line. Click on that and you get lots of info.

It depends... during the weekends the spammers from India come out of the woodwork... during the week.. the IPs are from this country for the most part its here that we do the research from where they actually are coming from... it takes time to root out these spammers... a bunch come from Canada as well they are usually phone scammers..

We don't give away are secrets on how we catch them.. ;)

I run several technical book review web site and years ago I just had to turn off posting (Wordpress sites) due to the huge volume of spam. The spam postings were more than a hundred on each site and a pain in the butt to remove so I just said to heck with postings other than the Admins and my editors. But on a forum like this doing that would not be feasible for obvious reasons.

Hats off to the admins, we don't see much if any spam. Nobody likes spam. Well some might like the meat. There was a time with most spam of just generate withing the US, but that probably is no longer true with the Indians and the chinese. I knew some email spammers back in mid 1990's. They routed all their email spam through Egyptian or north korean SMTP servers with the relaying feature left on. You could buy a program that would find SMTP servers that the relaying feature was usable and you just sent your spam through those servers. They also had to leave the trace back feature (left off as in the default mode). Better stop too much info about the past. No telling what the spammers tools are used today.

There are ways, but not worth the effort. We rather concentrate in rooting out spammers and other forum maintenance activities.

I've belonged to forums in the past, which actually listed the number of bots viewing as well…….crazy!

Back
Top Bottom