Garrett AT Pro vs Teknetics T2 vs Fisher F75? Which one is best

s_gaitandjiev

Hi group. I currently own a Garrett AT Pro that i bought 2 years ago second hand for around $430 and its in pretty good condition. Ive noticed that most of the stuff i find is quite shallow- around 4"-6" deep which sounds a bit off to men. If i can remember i only found around 10 deeper signals(8"+) which were hand grenades (empty training ones) and ive never found anything else at that depth. So Imho it doesn't go that deep. Because of that now im thinking of changing the machine. I figured out that the T2 and the F75 are the better and more affordable machines in the mid range. My budget is around $400-700 second hand. The thing is are the other two detectors noticeably better than the AT Pro? Is there a point to change the AT Pro for one of those or i wont see a big difference? Are there any better choices in that price range?

F75 is the best of the 3 listed, definatly deepest. T2 is deep but more relic than a Coin machine. F75 has a backlight, way better balanced than the at pro, has more programs, tone adjustments, trigger for pinpointing and ground balancing, etc. At pro is one of my favorite machines of all time but the f75 has it whipped in horsepower and performance

I get good depth with my AT Pro, having found silver coins and rings up to 9 inches of depth. Most silver items are in the 4-6 inch range so if that's where you're finding things it doesn't mean your detector is incapable of going deeper.

I can second the ergonomics factor: The F75 and its variants are easier to swing (in my opinion) than the AT series of detectors.

My F75 is plenty deep. Still I'm considering an upgrade and at just over $600 the Minelab Equinox 600 seems to me the best option I would consider as an upgrade. Love the ergonomics of the F75 and it does everything I've needed. It would be a good upgrade, but for the money I'd do the NOX.

First of all welcome to the forum. Don't be a one poster.
As far as depth there are many reasons you might not be finding deeper targets. It could be your detector (model or it not working right) coil size or type, your dirt (mineralization or hard clay etc that won't let coins sink well), site location (no older deeper targets), not hearing faint signals (get headphones), your detector settings, your skills (swing too fast, coil height, not over lapping, not digging faint iffy signals- deep coins on the AT can ring up as iron). Start a new thread asking how to find deep targets and search YouTube for the same.
So buying a different detector may or may not help you find deeper targets but you may find the detector that you love using.
IMHO there are more important things than depth but depth is great. Ergonomics (f75 is one of the best ever, I personally HATED the nox's), weight, balance, tones, sparky or not, available coils (sizes and DD or concentric) and many other things that are all dependant on the user. Just because someone say ; "nox" " "Deus " or whatever doesn't mean !!!!.
Of the 3 you mentioned: for land hunting and ergonomics- coin hunting the f75, for relics the t2. For water hunting the AT. I'm not a Garrett fan but the AT is a good proven detector. I believe the makro simplex is as good or better for less $. The Makro Kruzers and Amphibio are far better in many ways for my preferences.
If your ground is mineralized then a simultaneous multi freq model could help (most minelabs, white V3I or dfx, Fisher CZs).
My advise would be to start on your technique first (if needed) then site location before buying a new detector. Good luck.

Last edited:
I run an F70 and an Atpro...They both use the same batteries...The Pro says its 'done with them', so I pop them out and straight into the F70 who gets another 10hrs easy out of the AtPro 'half deads'...

Dont think so much about 'depth' as much as what fits your audio capabilities..Any rig has got to make sense to YOUR brain processing the signals...

The Pro is a proven infield performer..so are the Tek/F series rigs...they are Brothers of different Mothers and absolutely slam results on the deck......

Lots of great stuff is found 'shallow'..this is a big Planet..depth capability is not the be all end all..its how you process the signals in YOUR brain, and matching it up with the right tool for the job..and practice...

Keep swinging the At-Pro until you are absolutely sure you NEED a new detector.

I drank the Equinox 600 koolaid, got a brand new Equinox 600 plu a 6 inch coil.

Honestly, I not impressed with it. Using both over the same undug targets has given me much more confidence in the At-Pro.

I use the Equinox again this spring, summer and fall.

If my feelings don't change, I'll sell it.

Doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a good detector, just that I didn't click with it, or that it wasn't a significant improvement over my At-Pro,

Old technology?

Maybe, but so is black powder.

I think the range you're finding targets in is acceptable, in my opinion.

Good luck, let us know what your decision is.

You didn't mention what coil size you are using. There are plenty of excellent coil choices from Garrett and third party manufacturers that may squeeze out another inch or two if you have pretty mild dirt. If your dirt is mineralized.............multi frequency may be your best option and a bigger coil won't help your AT Pro or an F75 or T2 either.

Jeff

I'd say 4-6" is about average for most finds. There are variabilities that range from ground conditions, technique and detector settings. Unless I'M in a junkie area I'll dig anything. Some of my best finds have occurred that way.

Keep swinging the At-Pro until you are absolutely sure you NEED a new detector.

I drank the Equinox 600 koolaid, got a brand new Equinox 600 plu a 6 inch coil.

Honestly, I not impressed with it. Using both over the same undug targets has given me much more confidence in the At-Pro.

I use the Equinox again this spring, summer and fall.

If my feelings don't change, I'll sell it.

Doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a good detector, just that I didn't click with it, or that it wasn't a significant improvement over my At-Pro,

Old technology?

Maybe, but so is black powder.

I think the range you're finding targets in is acceptable, in my opinion.

Good luck, let us know what your decision is.

Very good points Bill.....

I run an F70 and an Atpro...They both use the same batteries...The Pro says its 'done with them', so I pop them out and straight into the F70 who gets another 10hrs easy out of the AtPro 'half deads'...

Dont think so much about 'depth' as much as what fits your audio capabilities..Any rig has got to make sense to YOUR brain processing the signals...

The Pro is a proven infield performer..so are the Tek/F series rigs...they are Brothers of different Mothers and absolutely slam results on the deck......

Lots of great stuff is found 'shallow'..this is a big Planet..depth capability is not the be all end all..its how you process the signals in YOUR brain, and matching it up with the right tool for the job..and practice...

Well said Mudd, I love all the info the at pro gives. Equinox is another tool that another detector can miss.

keep the at pro
unless you are going in the ocean
i will run mine against any nox on dry sand or land
i have 1000s of hours on mine you must know your correct settings
to get the depth .. sure a bigger coil helps
if it not broken don't fix it,,
only minelab i own is 3030ctx

Back
Top Bottom