Yards vrs. Park

I'd carry a couple old junk rings, a bobby pin, few zink pennies and some petrified rat turds. Keep in a small plastic box in the trash pouch.
Guess which targets I'm going to hand the little old lady who wants all finds? :lol:

Now that is a display of integrity.....

I am a father to two little girls and I have been doing the best I can to raise them right. One of the biggest things I try to tell them is to always keep your word. If you say you are going to do something your follow through with it, even if things have changed and now you don’t want to. You never want to be the kind of person that people doubt will hold to what they say. I have many faults, but if you ask people who know me they will tell you that I keep my word. I do this because I HATE when others do not and because I want to set a good example to my children.
I think I will take the approach of talking to the owner and trying to have things set before I dig. If the terms are not agreeable to me I will move on down the line. It would hurt something fierce to have to give away a treasure, especially as I am so new to this and my catalog is empty, but in the end I think I would sleep better knowing that I honored my word.

.....But what if you find your 1st gold coin ever , you show them your finds , and they take everything ?

If the deal was to show them everything and pick what they want, then hopefully they're open to some sort of deal. Pay them half for it, for example.

Frankly, finding a gold coin is not on my radar of reasons for metal detecting.
So, it would be neat if I found one, and even better if it was from one of those permissions where it's clear the owner isn't interested.

Last edited:
I am a father to two little girls and I have been doing the best I can to raise them right......

Hopefully you discover how many people will simply say "yes" and it seems pretty clear no strings are attached. I'll never understand those people, because I'm not one of them, but I'm grateful they do exist.

I was hunting a front yard and this neighbor comes over and asks if I'm with the utility company. I tell her the homeowner gave me permission to look for old toys and maybe a few old coins. She says I can detect her yard any time I want. I thank her and ask if she wants my card or if I can have her phone number in case I find anything particularly interesting. She says "no, don't worry about that." Great!

So, after a clear "yes" it's totally understandable to not push them with a bunch of details and clarifications. But, that just means you're stuck in that gray area regarding what you should say or do if they end up asking to the see what you've found. It's why I like the indirect question of "Do you want me to let you know before I leave?" It's just a polite thing to ask and gives you an indication of what they're thinking.

RE: Parks not old enough. Local park that I was hesitant to bother with as it was "Too New". Finally just for a quick detecting fix I went there. 4 miles from the house. Dug almost ten bucks in clad in less than three hours. I have found one silver Washington and two silver rosies. One 10k ring and three or four silver rings. So far over 400 dollars in clad have come out of that park. I am convinced that I am missing at least another gold out of that park. Just have to find it. When ball tournaments are ongoing there will be a few thousand possible donors out there.

So, do any of you seasoned guys/gals find that you operate better and more efficiently when hunting a smaller space such as a yard or vacant lot verses a large open park?

The oldest and largest park in town is right by my house but it is so large i am having a had time figuring out a good way to hunt it?? Any tips or a good suggestion for a phone app that would track my search area?

I do parks and schools Exclusively.

The only way to really do them right is to grid them. Just know, however, that you'll only be hitting about 80%. I don't know why, but I can go RIGHT back over where I was, and still find more stuff. Usually dimes that were missed in the sweep, or targets missed because of non-overlap swings.

Best days to detect are when the grass is long enough to show your footprints, or there is dew on the grass (early morning). Makes it REALLY easy to see where you've been! Then just work from one end to the other. Might take a few weeks, but it's worth it. I've found some killer stuff in the middle of nowhere in parks. :)

Skippy

I am currently working a massive park. I am talking at least 10 baseball diamonds, 8 soccer fields, multiple playgrounds, etc. I have found silver coins, a couple of gold jewelry items, and lots and lots of clad. I hunt it according to the traffic. I work shift work so I get days off during the week. When there isn't very many people, I hit the sitting areas at the ball diamonds and soccer fields. When there are a lot of people there, I hit the walking trails (my favorite). I find more good stuff along the walking trails than anywhere else. I am with Emu though - you have to section it off otherwise you will miss lots of areas.

I'm intrigued. When you're doing the walking trails, how do you work them? Just walk along them, and swing on the very edge?

RE: Parks not old enough. Local park that I was hesitant to bother with as it was "Too New". Finally just for a quick detecting fix I went there. 4 miles from the house. Dug almost ten bucks in clad in less than three hours. I have found one silver Washington and two silver rosies. One 10k ring and three or four silver rings. So far over 400 dollars in clad have come out of that park. I am convinced that I am missing at least another gold out of that park. Just have to find it. When ball tournaments are ongoing there will be a few thousand possible donors out there.

YES! YES! YES!!

I love "new parks" for this reason. Detectorists have this weird idea that because something is only a few years old, it must not contain any goodies.

I hunt schools and parks multiple times a year and every time, I come back with a haul. Finding a "new" park that is 2-4 years old is usually a GOLD MINE. Literally. Containing gold. Rarely has a ton of trash, and the clad volume is generally really high. You can have a TON of fun in those parks!

And then by keeping them clean with diligent detecting (every few months), you'll find nobody else wants to even detect them. (because they appear to be "empty"), even though YOU know where the hotspots are! *evil laugh*

I keep my parks and schools pretty well detected, and I never run out of stuff to find... It just keeps showing up! :)

Skippy

I'm intrigued. When you're doing the walking trails, how do you work them? Just walk along them, and swing on the very edge?

I start right next to the blacktop path, and go up about 25 yards or so, then move away a bit and go back down. For some reason, I find more about 6' away from the paths. I don't know why, but I have found gold rings, silver coins, and lots of clad. I do each side of the path then start another 25 yards. Maybe it is because people jog and lose things, or if they are talking to their walking partners and not realize what was dropped or what, but I find some of my best stuff along them.

Ok, so all this talk about parks is exciting to me as we have a bunch of parks here. Lots of soccer and softball at the parks. To be honest the potential places to go is a bit overwhelming. To add to the list I have permission on a TON of places that are very old. This area was one of the very early settlements in the West. Lots of history here and lots of potential options.

The problem I am having as a new detectorist is trying to juggle the feeling of being overwhelmed by all the options. I suspect this is a fairly common issue with us NOOBS and I could see how it could lead to poor hunting practices that would in-turn result in poor success eventually leading to a loss of interest.

So, what am I to do? Well, seeing as how I have written this all down I can at least say I am aware of the issues. Accepting that this is tough and trying to hone my focus to a certain area until I am satisfied I have hunted it clean is going to be my new strategy. It might be a park or it might be a yard, but my new plan is to pick a spot and hunt it clean before moving on. I think that will help me find more success or at the very least feel confident i'm not leaving things in the feild.

The new hobby is ruining me LOL. I used to spend time watching T.V. at night or reading hunting/outdoor forums during my free time at work. Now all I do is watch MD videos and spend time trying to find old maps of my town so as to find perspective hunting areas. I'm a changed man! LOL guess it beats wasting time and money at the bar, well, if they were open.

This single thread has really helped find tune my focus and given me some great ideas so i want to say thank you to all that have commented. I very much appreciate the help.

I agree with what has been said in this string. Integrity and honesty are often among the most difficult qualities to find in others. Hard to see in others if we can't first find it in ourselves.

When hunting parks, especially large ones with some age, I tend to want to hurry too much. I like the comment about "the park not going anywhere" as it is true. Slow down and take your time! When you wonder if you are hunting slow enough, slow down further! Let that coil work.

Gridding off, as suggested, a small area, to start with. I always carry a couple of the aluminum fencing top rail wires to push into the ground like tent stakes. They are fairly discreet and can easily carried in my finds pouch.

After working one direction in the small grid, work the same grid perpendicular again before moving on. Amazing what can be found when slowing down and focusing on the quality of the hunt versus the amount of ground to be covered.

That is interesting, your experience w/ back yards. Here in Western Montana, I can think of about 3 back yards out of 100's of yards I've gotten the OK to detect that produced even a single shiny or wheat pennies. Up here, the front yards seem to be where all the drops and action took place, and many front yards have produced 4-5 silvers each including half dollars. I usually don't even ask about the back yard so as to respect the privacy of the home owner, but maybe I should check more often!

I agree with this. My theory is that we have changed the way we socialize. Front yards used to be the social gathering spot. Back yards were more utilitarian or primarily used by children with no money to drop. My thoughts anyway...

At a large park where you get lots of visitors by the time you think you have worked it out it will be time to start all over again.

Two local properties one of which years ago was a ball field and is now a bunch of tennis courts. First visit I found one silver quarter. Property next door was an abandoned national guard armory. First time I covered the property I did not find even one silver coin. Lots and lots of wheat pennies. I was told that both properties had been "Hunted Out" one gentleman told me I was wasting my time as he had dug every coin out of those two properties. Subsequent visits to the park yielded 4 silver dimes and 9 silver coins out of the armory property Yep All Worked Out.

I just got permission to search one of my neighbor's yards. I like doing that during the week after work when I don't have a lot of time. I started a section of the backyard last night and so far have found three coins. His yard is much cleaner than mine and it's really good practice for me using the Simplex. Apparently nobody burned trash in their yard. :no: One can only dig so much foil.....

That is interesting, your experience w/ back yards. Here in Western Montana, I can think of about 3 back yards out of 100's of yards I've gotten the OK to detect that produced even a single shiny or wheat pennies. Up here, the front yards seem to be where all the drops and action took place, and many front yards have produced 4-5 silvers each including half dollars. I usually don't even ask about the back yard so as to respect the privacy of the home owner, but maybe I should check more often!

Maybe it has to do with time of year, weather and size of the backyards. IDK
Here in my locale, it seems all get togethers are in the backyard. Good,luck!

So, do any of you seasoned guys/gals find that you operate better and more efficiently when hunting a smaller space such as a yard or vacant lot verses a large open park?

The oldest and largest park in town is right by my house but it is so large i am having a had time figuring out a good way to hunt it?? Any tips or a good suggestion for a phone app that would track my search area?

I have three 100 + year old parks in my town, ranging from 16 to 32 acres in size. I am positive they have all been hunted extensively in the past. But I have recovered silver in two of them and to be fair, I have barely hunted any of the third one. The largest one has been the most consistent producer but it took aerial photos and old newspaper clipping research to locate the areas that held gatherings that took place in the silver coin era. An old ballfield that isn't there anymore adjacent to an area that was purposefully flooded in the winter for a skating rink has given up more than a dozen silvers including a Barber half dating back to 1908 and and a V nickel dating to 1904. Almost all of them have been deep and some of them masked by trash. If your park is old, there is silver there. But easy and abundant park silver is a rare thing. Do the research, talk to old timers, look at old newspaper clippings of events that took place there in the past. Find the oldest and most often used areas, dig the iffy deep signals, and don't give up. There is still good stuff there, I promise you.
As far as yards and curbs strips go, obviously older houses with bigger yards ,historically owned by the more affluent are best, but don't overlook any older property, especially if you can determine that the dirt is original. That is not always easy but a quick pass near the front steps or along the likely path to where any cars might have been parked will usually yield a clue. Dig the nickel signals and of course any obvious high tones. Find a wheatie, then you have found old dirt. Carefully grid in at least two directions. Many promising looking yards are a disappointment,but the good ones more than make up for it. Good luck!!

I have three 100 + year old parks in my town, ranging from 16 to 32 acres in size. I am positive they have all been hunted extensively in the past. But I have recovered silver in two of them and to be fair, I have barely hunted any of the third one. The largest one has been the most consistent producer but it took aerial photos and old newspaper clipping research to locate the areas that held gatherings that took place in the silver coin era. An old ballfield that isn't there anymore adjacent to an area that was purposefully flooded in the winter for a skating rink has given up more than a dozen silvers including a Barber half dating back to 1908 and and a V nickel dating to 1904. Almost all of them have been deep and some of them masked by trash. If your park is old, there is silver there. But easy and abundant park silver is a rare thing. Do the research, talk to old timers, look at old newspaper clippings of events that took place there in the past. Find the oldest and most often used areas, dig the iffy deep signals, and don't give up. There is still good stuff there, I promise you.
As far as yards and curbs strips go, obviously older houses with bigger yards ,historically owned by the more affluent are best, but don't overlook any older property, especially if you can determine that the dirt is original. That is not always easy but a quick pass near the front steps or along the likely path to where any cars might have been parked will usually yield a clue. Dig the nickel signals and of course any obvious high tones. Find a wheatie, then you have found old dirt. Carefully grid in at least two directions. Many promising looking yards are a disappointment,but the good ones more than make up for it. Good luck!!

Got permission on two yards yesterday. One is from 1900 and was next to a very busy part of town. the other from 1910 and is in one of the older parts of town, just down from the fist ever home built within city limits.

I ordered a 6'' coil for the EQX and a new Garrett AT Pro because my cheap pinpointer was just not doing me any favors. As soon as that stuff shows up I am heading over there to try my luck!

The oldest park here is around 115 years old plus/minus. An old map I found from 1909 shows another one that is close to me as well. I have pictures of some big celebrations taking place at the park from 1912. I am positive it has been hit hard but it only takes one swipe to hit or miss so it should be worth an attempt.

I'm a very detailed, regimented girl in my daily life so when I hunt large park areas I tend to use landmarks in the park -- trees, trash cans, soccer nets, etc -- and create mental areas to carefully search. My friend, K, is a very happy go lucky spirit in life and when she goes out she spaghetti hunts. If you tried to put her into a grid and told her to hunt she wouldn't have any fun. If you told me to "get out of my box" I'd try for about 10 minutes and then my feet would just take me back.

So I guess it really just depends on what you want and who you are.

Back
Top Bottom