Date for this .44 shell?

sonofamahalla

Found this the other day... and I'm wondering if it belongs to this gun;
http://www.nramuseum.com/the-museum...n-model-1890-single-action-army-revolver.aspx (See a close up of the Second photo from TOP)

I find a LOT of information regarding the ".44 WCF", but not the ".44 CFW" as is show in the photo! Most information I could find is that it could be from between 1890 - 1910? Anyone familiar with this cartridge?

Thanks,:)

Attachments

• IMG_7019.jpg
    IMG_7019.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,407
Where's Turtlefoot? He knows all this stuff. I know he's busy lately, but hope he can chime in soon.

Where's Turtlefoot? He knows all this stuff. I know he's busy lately, but hope he can chime in soon.

He's prolly out hunting that 10 acres of 1920's spa resort he had lined up. I think he needs me to come up there and give him a hand with hunting all that land...:yes:

There seems to be some of those rounds for sale here and there, but they tend to confuse people :) dug a bit and on one 'expert' forum people just believed that poster had made a typo when he was asking info about this cartridge...

If that is complete case you could of course take some accurate measurements but it seems it is just another vay to write 44 WCF.
Here: http://www.iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8212 one guy has a box of those but there still seems to be some issues about their origins.

Voriax

Cannot help you on this one. It is the first time I have seen the CFW designation. I fired off an email to the Remington historian. She usually take 1-2 weeks to get back with me. As soon as I get some info, I will pass it on.

Doug

One thing I have noticed researching this headstamp, a lot of samples of C.F.W. designations that are available for sale right now, are for shot cartridges.

Hey!

I got a response from probably the best "historic information department" in the ammo business. Here is a direct quote from the Remington historian concerning your UMC .44 C.F.W.

"These were done in a time when companies competed so much with one another that they refused to put another company name on the cartridges they produced. 44 WCF was for the 44 Winchester Center Fire cartridge. UMC loaded it with the CFW stamp standing for Center Fire Western. They are still basically the same. The CFW headstamp was used prior to the 1920's."

Doug

So my post of 1912 UMC; 44 CFW Fits right in there.. lucked out hahhaa

Good info, thanks Turtle you da man!!! :)

So my post of 1912 UMC; 44 CFW Fits right in there.. lucked out hahhaa

Good info, thanks Turtle you da man!!! :)

Your date was dead on! :waytogo:

I am fortunate that the Remington historian team is so willing to help me. They have helped me with at least 2 dozen headstamp questions.

Your date was dead on! :waytogo:

I am fortunate that the Remington historian team is so willing to help me. They have helped me with at least 2 dozen headstamp questions.

You do awesome for us all when we need an ID! We can't thank you enough! Hopefully this year when I get back in the hollar, I can find a couple rare stamps for you! I already have 2 for you, but I figure if I'm going to mail them, I might as well mail a few at a time!

WE APPRECIATE YOU BUD!!!:yes:

Hey!

I got a response from probably the best "historic information department" in the ammo business. Here is a direct quote from the Remington historian concerning your UMC .44 C.F.W.

"These were done in a time when companies competed so much with one another that they refused to put another company name on the cartridges they produced. 44 WCF was for the 44 Winchester Center Fire cartridge. UMC loaded it with the CFW stamp standing for Center Fire Western. They are still basically the same. The CFW headstamp was used prior to the 1920's."

Doug

BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks VERY much for the information. I'm not entirely 'familiar' with these types of shells, so do you have an idea of what 'kinds' of guns these rounds were used for?

Cheers, :grin:

The .44 WCF, .44-40 and .44 CFW were all the same round (from what I can tell).

The Winchester Model 1873, chambered in the .44 WCF is the rifle that had been called the "gun that won the West".

73-001574-00.jpg

It is a great round that has great ties with the American Old West, Outlaws, Law Men, etc.

It is a great find!
Doug

The .44 WCF, .44-40 and .44 CFW were all the same round (from what I can tell).

The Winchester Model 1873, chambered in the .44 WCF is the rifle that had been called the "gun that won the West".

73-001574-00.jpg

It is a great round that has great ties with the American Old West, Outlaws, Law Men, etc.

It is a great find!
Doug

Great Stuff!
I was very happy to find it up here!

Thanks for all the FANTASTIC information Doug and of course to all the others who contributed!:grin:

Found one today!

I found the exact same fired shell today. Thanks for the info on it! I had no idea it was that old.

Back
Top Bottom