Round hallow round lead ball

rob.ream258

Elite Member
I've been detecting an old park during my lunch breaks for the past year. I've found round balls, 3 ringers, military uniform buttons, and flat buttons.

Today I found a round hallow round lead ball. It has the same patina the other round balls have so I'm guessing the same age as well. It's definitely made of lead and quite heavy for being hallow. It also rang in the same range as the rounds balls.

The holes on the ball are definitely not made to be there - looks like some sort of damage maybe by a plow or hitting a tree after being shot.

Could this be some sort of grape shot or some other type of ammunition? I'm not sure since I've never seen similar round balls on this site but guessing on ammunition.

Attachments

• s01.jpg
    s01.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 310
  • s02.jpg
    s02.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 251
  • s03.jpg
    s03.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 255
Maybe this was a ball cast by the soldier or shooter that had an air bubble in it when poured - or just poured and solidified against the sides of the mold and at the top, leaving a void in the middle. Interesting find, whatever it is!

When I read the title, I said to myself, "Self, you need to see this holy ball!"

And indeed, it is holey.

:laughing:

Sorry, no input on what this hollow, lead ball might be.

Hallowed balls - holy balls.
What you have there is a hollow ball.:police:

I believe grapeshot was iron...

I've seen some vintage loom weights that looked very similar. To me, the hole in the center was made intentional so as to attach it to something.

I've seen some vintage loom weights that looked very similar. To me, the hole in the center was made intentional so as to attach it to something.

Yep - entirely possible - I just googled that and there were a couple images that were close.....

Just another mystery that will stay in 1800's.......

Back
Top Bottom