Heavy like lead

pplinker

Forum Supporter
This is like a cap to something. Feels heavy. Seems it was painted white because while washing it some white came off. A dimple on the top side.

Attachments

• DSC00287.JPG
    DSC00287.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC00288.JPG
    DSC00288.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Really? Now I would have never guessed that. I found a No. 14 Winchester New Rival shotgun headstamp up there and it looks like they just might go together. Thank you very much. Seems like the slug didn't hit anything.

Attachments

• DSC00294.JPG
    DSC00294.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
It probably wasn't painted white - lead gets a white coating of oxidization after being in the ground a while. In fact, the white lead oxide was put in paint to make it white years ago. That's why you have those warnings about 'lead paint.' It isn't used now.

Your No.14 is a very rare gage headstamp and a very cool find in itself.

Really? I throw those old headstamps out by the handful around here, I recall many 14's. There are so many around here I relate them to beach diggers as pull tabs. Anyone actually buy them?

Yep
Shotgun slug.
Most likely a 12Ga.
Your No.14 is a very rare gage headstamp and a very cool find in itself.

Thank you HuntinDog. But... you are saying it is 12 Ga. But it says no 14 so I thought that meant 14 Ga. I did look the No 14 up and it is like early 20's but I'm still unsure about the gauge??

pplinker,
I was referring to the lead slug when I said it was Most likely 12ga.
To get a more accurate "guess" of your fired slug a dial caliper reading of the
diameter of it is needed.
12ga. = 0.729"
14ga. = 0.693"
16ga. = 0.615"

Your slug is a lot newer that that No. 14 headstamp.

Winchester New Rival headstamps were used between 1897-1929 with a few variations. The only other way to narrow down that date range is by the color of the paper cartridge, witch you no longer have with yours.

Back
Top Bottom